PDA

View Full Version : I had to put my dog to sleep

Mikey
06-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Last night my little buddy got hit by a car. He had 3 broken legs and his pelvis was shattered in several places. My wife and I decided to put him down for two reasons. Reason 1: the way his pelvis was broken they couldnt fix it and he would be in pain the rest of his life. Reason 2: It would have cost me 4k just to fix his legs and $120 per month in pain meds for the rest of his life with no guarantee that he would heal and not have to be put down in a few months anyway. I feel like a heartless bastard for not putting up the cash which would have put me in a bind but I could have done it. The biggest deciding factor was that I didnt want him to live the rest of his life in pain. I keep beating myself up about it and thinking what if I had tried to save him, would he be happy? Has anyone ever had an experience like this? Do you think I made the right decision?

Hoosier Bob
06-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Sorry Mike! I have never forgotten my Rott that was killed accidently. Take care and I just hope that you can enjoy the times that the little guy gave you! :(

Leroy
06-22-2006, 12:04 AM
You made the right decision Mikey. A very tough decision though.

Hoosier Bob
06-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Mike this really stinks! Many of us have lost our buddies! It is never easy but the great thing is they are here for us! Every minute they are a pleasure! They do nothing but give! Mikey you did all that you could and one thing I have learned is they are always here. Take care Mike! :(

LakePirate
06-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Mike, I am saddened by your loss. That is probably one of the toughest decisions that one could ever make. I don't know that I could stand to see my buddy in pain.

Crash
06-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Stop beating your self up...you made the right, humane decision. The determinate factor would be the dogs quality of life going forward, just wouldn't have been there. Unfortunately they can't communicate the amount of pain they're in 'once healed'. Humans can easily say more pain killers, another corrective surgery, etc...pets can't. Been there. Keep him alive in your memories :)

PendO
06-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Mikey - you did the right thing. We had to put down our 10 year old english pointer a year ago ... it totally sucked then, and still sucks today ... ultimately his quality of life had deteriorated and we couldn't make him right... we all wanted to keep him, but knew it wasn't the right thing ... you did good by your dog ... sorry for your loss:(

dapicatti
06-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Mikey
We lost our companion of 8 years (Chow Chow named Angelo) last March, and it sucked. The thing we were most concerned about was quality of life, and so were you. You absoloutlely did the right thing. It is the hardest, kindest thing you can do for your companion.

Very sorry for your loss. I know how bad you feel right now. You just have to know you did the best you could, and did the right thing.

AirJunky
06-22-2006, 01:48 AM
About 2 yrs ago I had to make the decision to put my 16 yr old malamute, Kodiak, down. He had been a great friend to me his entire life. Another friend sent me this & it really hit the spot.

Youíre giving me a cherished gift, so sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days, your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing when your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes, beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess, is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done, for itís the only way.

That strength is why Iíve followed you, and chose you as my friend,
And why Iíve loved you all these yearsÖ.my partner Ďtil the end.

Please, understand just what this gift, youíre giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength Iíve lost, and all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf, for that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right, for I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent, and through your hand I feel,
The courage thatís within you, to now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here, dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog, my pain and struggle done.

And donít despair my passing, for I wonít be far away,
Forever here, within your heart, and memory Iíll stay.

Iíll be there watching over you, your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories, Iíll runÖ.a young dog once again.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
06-22-2006, 01:53 AM
It has been almost a year since we had to put down one of ours......as others have said it is a tough decision no matter what the situation.

I was not in favor of it at the time, but at the urging of my wife and daughter, we got a puppy three weeks later. As it turns out, it was one of the best things we could have done. Although you will never replace the old dog, having another will help ease the void.

peason
06-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Mikey, tough decision, but a good one. We have two dogs now Mickey and Monte - and they are a lot of fun to have around, part of the family. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Mikey, you have my sincerest condolences. :( You made the best choice for the dog. To keep him alive and in pain would be selfish of the owner, and ingorant of the dog's best interests. I feel so badly for you. I hate to even think what your going through. I had to put our dog down because of old age health issues about 10 years ago, and it was so hard. I lost my best dog ever last year, he just didnt wake up one day. it sucks so much. I hate to even think about it. I know you must be torn up right now. Just try to take some comfort in the fact that you did the BEST thing for the dog. You provided a loving home for him and thats more than many pets get. I cannot stand to see animals suffer in any way. They deserve much better than pain and suffering. Forever will the memories of your dog be with you. I feel for you man, hang in there buddy.

richardsoncd
06-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Mikey you did the right thing brotha.....sorry to hear the bad news, but you did the right thing. Good luck.

stevo137
06-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Mikey, so sorry to hear about this. I agree with the guys, you did the best thing for him.

bcampbe7
06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Mikey, sorry to hear about your loss. :( No doubt you made the right decision.

Rockman
06-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Mikey, for the best interest of your dog, you did make the right decision. We had to put our sheepdog down due to cancer and that was probably one of the worst days of my life.

Hang in there and remember all the good times you had and all the happiness he brought you and you gave to him. :toast:

sanjuan23
06-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Deepest Sympathies! Never an easy decision and one we wish we never have to make but you did what is right for your buddy.

RexDog1
06-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Please take him into Heaven, Lord.
And keep him there for me,
just feed him, pet him, love him, Lord,
that's all he'll ask of Thee.

Sorry for your loss Mike, you did the right thing

Mikey
06-22-2006, 09:58 AM
It has been almost a year since we had to put down one of ours......as others have said it is a tough decision no matter what the situation.

I was not in favor of it at the time, but at the urging of my wife and daughter, we got a puppy three weeks later. As it turns out, it was one of the best things we could have done. Although you will never replace the old dog, having another will help ease the void.

LLS, I dont know If I will get another one. 11 months ago I lost my old boxer "Axel". When he died I told myself I wasnt going to get another one. Well, my wife and I decided to get another one so I did after 2 months of grieving. And now (9months later) the new puppy gets hit by a car and has to be put down. Im just not sure that I want to go through this again, maybe Im just not supposed to have a dog.

tex
06-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Mikey,

I'm sorry about your dog. A couple of months ago I had to put down my 13 year dalmation. He had been with me longer than my wife. It was very tough. I could have shelled out the 150 a month for pain killers but it came down to quality of life. You make the right decision. Last night we went and looked at a rescue dog. We are making the right decision too!

shepherd
06-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Right decision Mikey. I think people should be so fortunate to be able to end their lives as peacefully as we do for our dogs.
It's a tough choice though. When we put our golden retriever Buddy to sleep 2 years ago, it was the first time I cried since I was a kid. But when I saw him close his eyes and take his last breath I also knew that all the pain he was suffering was finally gone (he was arthritic and had cancer all over his body).

My wife and I still miss him very much. My sympathies to you.

Maristar210
06-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Very Ironic this post is here since I put my 13-1/2 year old dog down a week ago today. I still wander the house looking for him before I remember he's gone. I haven't cried in a long time but I did last week.

I feel for you Mikey, You did what was right though. :(

Steve

east tx skier
06-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Last night my little buddy got hit by a car. He had 3 broken legs and his pelvis was shattered in several places. My wife and I decided to put him down for two reasons. Reason 1: the way his pelvis was broken they couldnt fix it and he would be in pain the rest of his life. Reason 2: It would have cost me 4k just to fix his legs and $120 per month in pain meds for the rest of his life with no guarantee that he would heal and not have to be put down in a few months anyway. I feel like a heartless bastard for not putting up the cash which would have put me in a bind but I could have done it. The biggest deciding factor was that I didnt want him to live the rest of his life in pain. I keep beating myself up about it and thinking what if I had tried to save him, would he be happy? Has anyone ever had an experience like this? Do you think I made the right decision?

We had to put our 7 year old Golden Retriever down on October 6, 2001 after a long fight against lymphoma (sp). I still have no desire for another dog after that. I know how awful it feels, but you did the right thing for the pain you saved your friend. I know it doesn't make it any easier.

6ballsisall
06-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Mikey so sorry to hear of your loss. You made the right choice though. Chances are high he'd always be in pain. Don't think of it as a financial decision but one that you made for his well being. He's up in Doggy heaven now living it up.
I am soon going to have to make some decisions with my shorthair and can appreciate what an excruciating decision it was that you had to make.

rodltg2
06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
i had a decison to make a while back to put down my rott. somehow he ate something, which we still dont know what, that made his tongue swell up. vet had to sedate him to put a tube down his throat. if the swelling wouldnt go down the next step was a traichiotomy (sp)? vet was suggesting to put him down and i opted not too.. he lived

Mikey
06-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Very Ironic this post is here since I put my 13-1/2 year old dog down a week ago today. I still wander the house looking for him before I remember he's gone. I haven't cried in a long time but I did last week.

I feel for you Mikey, You did what was right though. :(

Steve

Steve, my condolences to you sir. Things will be very different around my house for quite some time.

JEREMY79
06-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Mikey, I started reading this thread and stopped. I have two dogs that are like my kids. I cant imagine what you are going through. However, I think you made the right decision. Especially if the dog will be more comfortable.

Jeremy

JohnnyB
06-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Mikey,

My condolensces. This is always a tough decision, but I believe you made the right decision with the information you had available. I went through the same thing with my 11 year old lab last fall. He was very healthy and active until labor day weekend last year. We were up at the lake playing fetch and he was having a ball jumping off the dock on retrieves. After a couple hours of this he went into the cabin and never got up again EXCEPT to go to bed with my daughters that night. Took him into emergency vet care the next day....he had a tumor on his liver that had ruptured and filled his abdomen with blood. The doctor told me I could spend a couple thousand to have the tumor removed and drain all the blood/fluid and may prolong his life up to a 1/2 year....hard choice, but I made the right one and had him put down.....You made the right choice too. Hang in there.

Mikey
06-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words in this hard time for my family and I. You have made it easier on me by talking about it. Attatched is a pic of "Hank" when he was about 3 or 4 months old. I kick myself in the butt for not getting any pics of him recently. Thanks again.

C36
06-23-2006, 01:29 AM
Mikey - I am very sorry for your loss. I have to admit I shead some tears just reading about your situation. If you have young people in your family (or even if you do not) you might want to locate a copy of this book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0590417010/104-4518784-4495928?v=glance&n=283155 - if you have a large library close by they may have a copy.

... Im just not sure that I want to go through this again, maybe Im just not supposed to have a dog.

You and your family obviously loved these two dogs very much, as they must have loved you and your family too. I am also sure they felt they were members of your family and although their stay may have seemed too short, they must have been happy to have known the warm and love of your family and your home.

chudson
06-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Mike, You hear people say in the same situation that "it's like they are a part of your family", well I disagree, they "are" a part of your family. And though it's a hard decision, it was the right one. There is an old saying that goes "you can tell what a person is like by the way they treat their pets". Everything I have read here says your heart is too big not to share that love again. Grieve for your Hank now and then share that love again sometime maybe a few months down the road. Take care!

quincyfirefighter
06-23-2006, 10:25 AM
My Condolensces Mikey. You did the right thing. Your buddy is in a better place.

JohnnyB
06-23-2006, 01:46 PM
"Hank" was a nice looking boxer.....had a boxer when I was a kid, he was an awesome dog.

Like others said, give yourself a few months and then look to share the love with a new dog.

We lost both of our dogs in the past year and yes, they are part of the family. Both were cremated. Mine is going to get spread over one of our hunting spots or the lake. My wife is still deciding what to do with the contents of her urn.

Six months later, we have a new puppy and still think of our last two pets very often.,,,,,

fortheboyz
06-23-2006, 03:56 PM

Mikey, so sorry to hear of your loss. :( We had to put down our dog Junior last December. He was an awesome dog and it's sad to hear my oldest son still wishing his doggy was here. Here's a nice website to post Hank's remembrance on, we have Juniors name listed.

http://www.petloss.com/

Take Care

ski-aholic
06-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Wow ... Between these two quotes ... I had a very hard time reading this post ... I'm sorry to all those who have lost your buddies ... I have lost a couple cats in the past that broke my heart ... Animals give us such unconditional love ... they are always there and want so little from us, yet are such a huge part of our day to day lives! ...

God Bless all or 4-legged friends/companions! :cry:
Ski-Aholic's Wife

Please take him into Heaven, Lord.
And keep him there for me,
just feed him, pet him, love him, Lord,
that's all he'll ask of Thee.

About 2 yrs ago I had to make the decision to put my 16 yr old malamute, Kodiak, down. He had been a great friend to me his entire life. Another friend sent me this & it really hit the spot.

Youíre giving me a cherished gift, so sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days, your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing when your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes, beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess, is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done, for itís the only way.

That strength is why Iíve followed you, and chose you as my friend,
And why Iíve loved you all these yearsÖ.my partner Ďtil the end.

Please, understand just what this gift, youíre giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength Iíve lost, and all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf, for that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right, for I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent, and through your hand I feel,
The courage thatís within you, to now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here, dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog, my pain and struggle done.

And donít despair my passing, for I wonít be far away,
Forever here, within your heart, and memory Iíll stay.

Iíll be there watching over you, your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories, Iíll runÖ.a young dog once again.

RexDog1
07-31-2006, 10:35 AM
I had to put my Dog to sleep todayÖÖÖÖÖ
She was a good dog for 14 yearsÖ..RIP Randy

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Aw man Rex, sorry to hear that. :( Take care man.

sanjuan23
07-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Condolences Rex! Always difficult losing a best friend.

bcampbe7
07-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Sorry to hear that Rex.

RIP Randy

chudson
07-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Rex, so sorry to hear about your pup, she looks like she was a great one!

Maristar210
07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Rex,

I feel for ya man. Go rescue one these when you are ready...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/nickbaxter006.jpg

Mikey
07-31-2006, 02:31 PM
My wife and I decided it is time to get a new dog even though we are still grieving over the loss of Hank. We are going to rescue this boxer named TJ. His owners abandoned him after they found out he has heartworms. He is being treated starting today and should be ready to come home with us in about 3-4 weeks. Has anyone ever had a dog treated for heartworms? Do they come through it without any future problems? Any advice on helping him through it after treatment?

milkmania
07-31-2006, 03:04 PM
this is a very touchy thread for me, but wanted to congratulate you

Andrť
07-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Sorry to read that Rexdog...:(
All dogs go to heaven...

jimmer2880
07-31-2006, 06:34 PM
I am very sorry to hear. Dogs are such wonderful friends. It hurts so much when they pass.

tex
07-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Sorry Rex,
Mikey..You should have no issues.

RexDog1
08-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Thank you all for the kind words, and the PMís
I think I am going to get a greyhound from a local rescue
I have been looking into it, and we have a lot of them locally,
That needs good home

jimmer2880
08-01-2006, 05:46 PM
That needs good home

I used to know a couple who had some rescued greyhounds. Dumber than rocks, but awesome dogs. I have thought about them myself for future dogs.

roddydog
08-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Sorry to hear Rex and Mikey, I know from where you speak.

I went to my place at the end of March with my Dog of 15 years, Tasha, (border-collie, husky cross). Took a sled across and on the morning of the 30th she woke up yelping and staggering.....................:(

She is now buried about 60' behind my place at the top of the hill. Never cried so hard.

It'll be a while before I get another.

dapicatti
08-01-2006, 11:41 PM
That needs good home

We rescued 2 Chows after we lost our buddy, and it was the best feeling ever. These dogs had no chance at a shelter, and they are fantastic! If you do go with a rescue, they show you a kind of love you cannot believe. I feel for you with your loss, been there and it sucks.

Andrť
08-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Sorry to hear Rex and Mikey, I know from where you speak.

I went to my place at the end of March with my Dog of 15 years, Tasha, (border-collie, husky cross). Took a sled across and on the morning of the 30th she woke up yelping and staggering.....................:(

She is now buried about 60' behind my place at the top of the hill. Never cried so hard.

It'll be a while before I get another.
Sorry to read that roddy...
Just think how happy you would make Tasha if you would rescue another dog...

roddydog
08-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks Andre, It's funny but how did you know I rescued Tasha (which I did).

I'd probably make my 2 1/2 year old girl happy also, but I know what it's like to have a dog, meaning I walked Tasha 2x a day and some were 1 to 2 hours. A good dog is a tired dog and a happy dog is one who is loved and walked 'til they're tired.

Right now I have my hands and life full with my little one, maybe in a few years I'll see........but you never know.........