PDA

View Full Version : Trailer guides twisting

blkoakfan
10-20-2004, 07:26 PM
The guides on my trailer seem to vibrate out of position with the result being pointing off into random directions, none of which are vertical. Unable to solve this by tightening the bolts, I've tried wrapping the bottoms to limit the space, and tapped some pins up along the posts.

I'm thinking about have them spot welded.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong or have a fix?

Ben
10-21-2004, 07:11 AM
If you have the bolts really tight, I think I'd back up and figure out where the vibration is coming from. Your boat sits on the trailer & may be seeing the same thing.... Are your tires out of balanace or axle bent & not aligned? Watch them as you drive, or have a spotter check.

If you do want to keep them from moving, you may be able to thru-drill one of the holes and use a longer bolt. I'd think about this before welding. After all, I would guess they are bolted in the first place to make replacement easier if need be.

captkidd
10-21-2004, 08:58 AM
I agree with Ben. I would drill a hole through the guide post. Just mark it and drill a guide hole and then a larger diameter hole (but no larger than the bolt). Even with the original bolt the post shouldn't spin because the end of the bolt should penetrate the hole enough to prevent the post from turning.

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Do they have lock nuts or lock washers on there? I can't remember if they do or not. My port-side pole loosens up every once in a while.

Ron Grover
10-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Put some lock-tite on the bolts and tighten them. Use the blue and and you can still get them off later if you have too, use the red and they will be locked tight.

G-man
10-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Is it a MasterCraft trailer? Mine had two bolts, one above the other. If only one is tight the other comes loose. It's a good idea to check these in the beginning of the season which is so far away now.

Eddie Dodge
10-21-2004, 11:12 PM
I had the same problem on my trailer. I had to fix the poles after each trip. It does not matter how tight you get the bolts. The bolts do not back off. What happens is that the end of the bolts creates a dent on the pole. When you move the pole alittle, and you tighten the bolt, it will move back to the dent every time. And turn the pole in the process. On my trailer, if I was to drill through, I would have to pull the pole out. Pull the fender off. Put the pole back in, and drill the hole. Take the pole back out. Put the fender back on. Reinstall pole for the last time, and put bolt through it.
I tack welded mine. It was too easy, and could not find any reason not to do this. It is under the fender, and cannot be seen. I wish I would of done it sooner.

Thrall
10-25-2004, 10:32 AM
The guide poles on my trlr were loose when I bought the boat and the prev owner had tried to goober it together w/ ducttape! :confused:
I pulled them apart and tightened, but they loosened up after a couple trips. The poles were kinda dented up from being tightened. I switched the poles side for side so I had a fresh surface to push the bolts against and used locknuts for the jam nuts. I also shimmed the opposite side w/ some tin flashing to get the poles to set plumb.
They have not loosened up yet, w/ 2k miles on the trailer since, and some of it is rough washboard dirt road.
Hope this helps.