PDA

View Full Version : upholstery

tex
10-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Anyone having trouble with the observer seat on their ps 197. i have a small rip right where the seat touches the removable backrest. i also have small rips in the seat on back rests in the openbow. I watch my boat like a hawk and have never seen it stressed in these areas. Any ideas?

jmac197
10-20-2004, 10:05 PM
I too have an '02 PS197. I love the boat but I have developed a small rip in the bottom of the seat where the seat meets the walkthrough. Don't know what to do to prevent it. With a couple of kids and their friends on the boat, it's hard to have them not step on the upholstery. In fact, there's so much upholstery in the boat, its hard to manuver without stepping on the seats.

I already ordered the replacement skin. When the seat gets to be more than I can handle, I'll be able to replace it.

I just have to remember that I bought the boat to enjoy, and if I get my shorts all bunched up over wear and tear, I'll be too uptight to enjoy my time on the water.

Later
Jim

tex
10-21-2004, 12:38 PM
my shorts are not usually bunched up! i just usually ski with the same group who are very good at taking care of a boat. this does not seem like normal wear and tear.

NeilM
10-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Tex, I agree with you. BTW, I didn't get one season out of my seat cushions. With a V-drive, the only way in or out is to step on vinyl..period. MC has re-skinned all my seat cushions -- hopefully these ones will last longer.

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm not ashamed to say that I regularly ask people to please not step on the seats. With kids, it may be harder to get the message across, but those replacement skins add up.

tex
10-21-2004, 04:42 PM
I'm not ashamed to say that I regularly ask people to please not step on the seats. With kids, it may be harder to get the message across, but those replacement skins add up.

2 of the spots are not in danger of feet.

jmac197
10-21-2004, 10:18 PM
I'm not saying that I encourage anyone to step on the upholstery, I'm saying that it is hard to get into the open bow without stepping on the seat. Noone wears shoes in the boat and I have a towel for people to step on and wipe their feet when getting in the boat. I've been called anal about keeping my boat clean and looking like new.

The spot where the seat is ripping is under stress when you even sit on the the right most part of the observers seat.

jmac197
10-21-2004, 10:26 PM
By the way Tex...Please don't think I meant that your shorts are bunched...meant nothing by it. More than anything I tend to get my shorts bunched over some of the smallest things....side affect of type A I guess......

axmir
10-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Tex I too have experienced the tear in the same spot on the observer seat on my 02 Pro Tournament 197. I think my nephews and friends kids did my seat in as well. That area of the seat seem particularly vulnerable to this problem and I am surprised MC does not reinforce that area especially given the high frequency of occurrence, the high cost of new skins, and how expensive the boat was to begin with. I guess it will be a new skin for me as well. Oh, and just for the record I try to maintain my 02 197 meticulously, but I also want the kids to be able to enjoy the boat.
Good luck with yours - axmir

tex
10-22-2004, 10:06 AM
By the way Tex...Please don't think I meant that your shorts are bunched...meant nothing by it. More than anything I tend to get my shorts bunched over some of the smallest things....side affect of type A I guess......

Jim-Not offended at all. I do some of my best work when my shorts are bunched. Great pic-Same spot not as bad. I agree with you and do all the same preventative type stuff. This should not happen on a boat of this quality so quickly! My #1 rule of dating was Never date a girl with a butt bigger than yours. Mine is big, my wife's is very small. My driver seat is not ripped! Bad design by MC!

Mag_Red
10-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey Tex, and others with the 197, I was just wondering if any one ever sits in this section of the boat??? That was one of the reasons I went with the 209......little more room plus a true walk thru. When I was looking at boats, I did think that the cushion wouldn't hold up there.

tex
10-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Het Tex, and others with the 197, I was just wondering if any one ever sits in this section of the boat??? That was one of the reasons I went with the 209......little more room plus a true walk thru. When I was looking at boats, I did think that the cushion wouldn't hold up there.

now you tell us! it is the observer area.

east tx skier
11-17-2004, 11:29 AM
If any of you guys with a 197 want to try a true walkthrough, I'll swap observer seats with you guys (assuming it would fit). I get a ton of use out of my drop-in walk through jump seat and would love a full seat with a flip out seatback for bow access.

Rockman
11-17-2004, 03:16 PM
JMAC,

You are not anal. My rules are pretty similar to yours when having people on the boat. Things add up, even the smallest scratch or tear.

I had one buddy (who also has a MasterCraft) scratch the back section of fiberglass where the back bench usually sits when getting his ski out of his bag. It was totally an accident and was fixed later on with rubbing compound. But when we pulled the boat out and was wiping it down, he gave me a check for $100 to get it fixed.

Needless to say, I refused the check as I know he felt really bad.

Anything you can do to help your boat look like new is worth it. The prices aren't getting any lower.

tex
11-14-2007, 11:43 PM
New skins for the front of my 02 197...I did screw up...pics to follow...later.

moleson10
04-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I just found this old thread. Looks like I'm not alone. My 06 197 has one season and the observer seat stitching is starting to rip the vinyl where the seat back skin meets the seat bottom skin. I could tell this was coming when I first bought the boat. There is a lot of stress there and the skin is unsupported in the seam area. I don't know why they did it this way, maybe to look good with no wrinkles.

Has anyone had luck getting MC to cover this after the 1 year warranty period? Mine isn't bad enought to replace yet but will be in another year or so.

FWIW this seem to be a MC trait. I've rarely seen older MC's that didn't have vinyl problems. My 15 year old Ski Nautique had the original vinyl and it was perfect when I sold it. Don't get me wrong. I love this boat more than any I've had. Just wish they could have done a few things better.

Mike

jwroblew
04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
My skins on my '03 X7 were all torn to hell, I will post some pics, I boat the boat used from Flordia and figured it must be the Flordia sun that caused the problem. Just got the new ones from MC, I will post some pics of those as well...