PDA

View Full Version : Straw Sucked Up Intake - NOT GOOD!

PeteS
10-20-2004, 11:52 AM
I'm quite embarrased to admit this, however I made a critical error last weekend while winterizing my dad's 99' Prostar 205 (base engine).

After successfully completing my 88', I moved on to the boses boat. While fogging the engine, the plastic straw somehow came loose from the top of the can of fogging oil, and was immediatly sucked through the small hole in the center of the intake cover while the boat was at idle.

I immediatly shut off the boat, aired out the entrance to the intake, and opened the throttle to see if the straw was lodged somewhere visably, but to know avail. Please help! Is there an easy fix? Will I be OK if I don't do anything at all?

Thanks,
Pete

sizzler
10-20-2004, 11:57 AM
i hope someone says yes..........good luck :eek:

east tx skier
10-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Pete, someone else had this problem while fogging their cylinders. I don't remember the fix being pleasant, but take a look in the other winterizing threads. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

PeteS
10-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Checked out the posts, TX. Thanks. Absolutley best case, because it is in the intake (hopefully) somewhere, since the air coming in is cool, maybe the plastic straw will not melt and just remain wedged someplace.

Any comments JimN, other than, "You're an idiot."? That one is assumed. Thanks.

Andyg
10-22-2004, 12:28 PM
I would pull the intake manifold and see if you can find it in there. If not look into each intake port on the head and see if it stuck on a valve. It is a pretty easy job to pull the intake manifold. Just make sure you get new gaskets and get the torque specs for the fasteners.

There are a few things that having a straw in your intake can due. One it can disrupt air flow to the head casuing some possible performance problems. Second it could get stuck between a valve and a valve seat damaging one or the other. You can check this by doing a compression test on each cylinder and comparing them to each other. Odds are it was sucked into a cylinder and burned and pushed out your exhaust system.

JimN
10-22-2004, 01:17 PM
I would remove the throttle body first, then see if the straw is visible. If it's not, then the manifold needs to come off.

captkidd
10-25-2004, 03:52 PM
Wow, I really feel a lot better now. I had a very similar thing happen a few years ago (can't remember if I confessed it here or not). I was spraying WD-40 into each of my sparkplug holes during winterization, and the little spray tube shot into one of the cylinders. After several weeks of deliberating on what to do, I removed the exhaust manifold so I could get a better look. I used a shop vac to provide suction and got the tube up to the sparkplug hole, and then removed it with tweezers. NTS, I don't use the spray tube for this any longer.

JimN
10-25-2004, 08:23 PM
I would use something other than WD40. That has cutting oil in it. Stick with fogging oil.

6ballsisall
10-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Pull off the intake manifold and have a look. It probably is lodged in there. This should be an hour or two job, make sure you get new gaskets. Don't let it go as is, if that reaches the heads you could mess up a valve pretty easy and have bigger problems.

gene dobies
10-26-2004, 09:44 AM
Did you know that WD40 stands for Water Displacement formula 40?

cfan
07-10-2005, 03:16 PM
ok. now call me the idiot or whatever. i have the same problem. while cleaning the throttle body in my camry, the straw got inside intake manifold and now i cannot even see it anymore. the car runs fine. it's been a day since this happened. any ideas ? feel like an idiot. thanks.

PeteS
07-11-2005, 09:15 AM
ok. now call me the idiot or whatever. i have the same problem. while cleaning the throttle body in my camry, the straw got inside intake manifold and now i cannot even see it anymore. the car runs fine. it's been a day since this happened. any ideas ? feel like an idiot. thanks.
Don't worry, although feeling somewhat mechanically inclined, I'm an idiot for letting it happen to the boat. As an update, and to hopefully ease your mind, the boat is running fine, with no differences noted from before and after straw.

Most likely, the resins were melted down and burned, exiting the engine as a smelly exhaust.