PDA

View Full Version : Engine Prelube System

skilew
06-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I am thinking about purchasing an engine prelube system to help reduce engine wear from dry starts, especially for that first start up of the new season.

Anyone have any experience with one of these prelube systems?

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 10:15 PM
We have family friends that own a Servicemaster carpet cleaning franchise. He runs 5 or 6 truck mount setups that all have the prelube system on them. He is an Amsoil freak too. Those motors are slightly different then ours as they are smaller in HP (I think around 35hp??) but its the same principal. I can't remember the details but I know he far exceeds the # of hours between TOH and equates that to the prelube and Amsoil. I don't talk to them much anymore since we are 1200 miles away but next time I see him I can ask him more if you like.

TMCNo1
06-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I am thinking about purchasing an engine prelube system to help reduce engine wear from dry starts, especially for that first start up of the new season.

If it was truely necessary, every engine manufacturer would install them as standard equipment on the engines. :twocents:

bigmac
06-21-2006, 10:23 AM
If it was truely necessary, every engine manufacturer would install them as standard equipment on the engines. :twocents:

Yup. Complete waste of money IMHO.

bcampbe7
06-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Didn't International Scouts come with them?

Those are pretty reliable engines, aren't they?

I have heard of a few Land Rover owners adding them but that's about it.

http://www.accusump.com/acc_products/acc_units.html

mgurley
06-21-2006, 10:28 AM
You could install an ignition toggle... where you could spin the motor until it showed oil pressure then flip the toggle to turn on the ignition and start the engine...

bcampbe7
06-21-2006, 10:36 AM
You could install an ignition toggle... where you could spin the motor until it showed oil pressure then flip the toggle to turn on the ignition and start the engine...

Isn't the purpose of a pre-oiler that you get oil to the cylinders before the engine turns over?

TMCNo1
06-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Do they make them for Stihl leaf blowers? After 8 years, using it at least once a day, I'm afraid the 2 cycle oil isn't getting to the cylinder fast enough, while I'm jerking on the cord. Since I'm blowing all that $, I think I'll go ahead and put a 4160 Holley, turbo charger and Nitrus Oxide. I'd like to blow one of our neighbors dogs back up the street where he belongs!

6ballsisall
06-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Do they make them for Stihl leaf blowers? After 8 years, using it at least once a day, I'm afraid the 2 cycle oil isn't getting to the cylinder fast enough, while I'm jerking on the cord. Since I'm blowing all that $, I think I'll go ahead and put a 4160 Holley, turbo charger and Nitrus Oxide. I'd like to blow one of our neighbors dogs back up the street where he belongs!

Jeez TMC why be cheap about it? Why not stroke the motor and bore it, bump the compression? How about a roots style supercharger??

mgurley
06-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Isn't the purpose of a pre-oiler that you get oil to the cylinders before the engine turns over?

I guess but...the engine will start at say 1200rpm or more the starter won't turn it near that fast...just a cheap way out if you are really that worried about it...rough on your starter though...

We do it with race engines...

TMCNo1
06-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Jeez TMC why be cheap about it? Why not stroke the motor and bore it, bump the compression? How about a roots style supercharger??

Too much trouble, think I wait till the 2007 boats come out and just swap out the 2 cycle for one of them new engines that will replace the LQ9. I got to thinkin', don't want to hop it up too much, that way I can use a Fake-A- Lake on it and water the lawn at the same time!

Sodar
06-21-2006, 02:21 PM
I have had experience with Pre-Lube systems. We swear by them and have gotten many more hours out of motors by using them.

Just as an example, we had a prelube system on our 38 Cigarrette. The boat had twin 1100 hp motors that the engine builder said would run no more than 150 hours before freshening up. We ran the motors 3 seasons and 450 hours before we needed to rebuild.

We also have a system on our diesel inboards, that prelubes the motors and will not allow the motor to crank until oil pressure is up. This system is a little more complex and is factory installed, therefore proving that there is a need for these things.

My personal opinion is that if you do not use your motor for a month or more at a time, then a pre-lube system is not a bad investment. If you use your boat every weekend, then I would say, it is indeed a waste of money. They have inexpensive systems that work off of compressed air and only run about $300.

skilew
06-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I plan on buying one and installing it this winter. I can't stand to hear my engine knock on that first start of the season after it has been sitting for 6 months. Also after oil changes and that two week stretch that sometimes occurs between runs.

JimN
06-29-2006, 12:23 AM
TMC- if it's truly necessary and installed at the time of manufacture, how would they make any money on rebuilds.

Also, I think you're gonna have to pet him, first.

Leroy
06-29-2006, 01:12 AM
What do the prelube system do? Shoot oil into the cylinder or splash around in the crankcase or ???

I don't know of when I have hear of a problem from lack of lube unless it is frozen block with water mixed in.

JDK
06-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Sounds like there is quite a bit of confusion about what the exact purpose of these pre-lube systems is.
IMO, they work extremely well, and will extend the life of an engine that is otherwise not abused.....especially if it sits unused for long periods.

Ric
06-29-2006, 08:24 AM
8 YEARS, ONCE A DAY WITH A LEAF BLOWER!!? WHAT??? SPEAK UP, I CANNOT HEAR YOU 8p

Ric
06-29-2006, 08:26 AM
if your boat sits for long periods without use, isn't that what fogging oil is for?

JimN
06-29-2006, 08:27 AM
The reason dry starts are bad is that there's no oil on the cam, rocker arms, lifters, or any other areas where excessive friction can damage the parts. The oil doesn't go into the cylinders- that would cause coking (carbon buildup) and plug fouling.

Sodar
06-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I just pulled this off a website:

On an internal combustion engine, the crankshaft drives the oil pump that pressurizes the lubrication system. Every time the engine is started, several hundred revolutions of the crankshaft occur before pressurized oil is present to lubricate the bearings. This design flaw results in dry bearing abrasion each and every time the engine is started.

With a prelube system, filtered oil is stored in the tank ready to pressurize the system BEFORE the first revolution of the crankshaft. Thereby completely eliminating all of the wear due to dry bearing abrasion! With the preluber installed, as soon as the ignition key is turned on the low oil pressure light will turn off. And the oil pressure gauge will start to register pressure BEFORE starter engages!!

An engine prelube system will work for all auto, car, truck, marine, moter home, suv, industrial engines, gasoline engines or diesel engines. Marine grade hardware and fittings ideal for all boat engines or marine inboard engines. This engine accessory will pay for itself many times over.

bigmac
06-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Personally, I can't imagine that a pre-lube system would be in any way cost-effective, or even necessary, in a non-commercial, non-extreme duty application. If Indmar thought otherwise, they would first, at the minimum, recommend use of synthetic oil, whose film strength is superior to regular motor oil.

TMCNo1
06-29-2006, 12:47 PM
8 YEARS, ONCE A DAY WITH A LEAF BLOWER!!? WHAT??? SPEAK UP, I CANNOT HEAR YOU 8p

That's right, if I told you what all I use my leaf blower for you wouldn't believe me! Nevermind, it was just a lie!

Leroy
06-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Skilew; How much are they? How much to install?