PDA

View Full Version : A few problems

Alanb
06-20-2006, 09:38 PM
First post, great site..

I have a 92 ProStar 190 with 750 hours on it. The first problem I have is the SilentMaster muffler is cracked. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Second problem is the boat just started to run real rich and seems to load up. If I rev the engine up it seems to clear up. Is there a upgraded intake carb combo that would help me out?

Thanks in advance

Alan

erkoehler
06-20-2006, 09:42 PM
You should be able to get a new muffler from www.skidim.com or order it from you mastercraft dealer.

BriEOD
06-20-2006, 09:44 PM
A few of us are running this intake. It will pick you up a few HP and is lighter. Also, DIM will give you the torque specs/sequence to change it out if needed. Intake (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EDL-2181)

It is a pretty simple swap. You can unbolt it and lift it out between your exhaust manifolds and then change over the carb, etc.

east tx skier
06-20-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm a big fan of that intake. Which carb are you running? If it's the dual feed 4010 (stock on the 351 HO @ 285 hp), I've got some thoughts on it although what you describe doesn't sound typical of what my issues were.

Alanb
06-20-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm sure it's the stock carb on the boat, I'm not sure which one it is though. I wrote down the part # and looked on Holley's website and couldn't find it. A few days ago it was running fine.

Thanks for the input

Alan

erkoehler
06-20-2006, 10:50 PM
How old was the gas that you were running?

T Scott
06-20-2006, 11:23 PM
I had a crack in my silent muffler as well, but I fixed it with some fiberglass cloth and resin. Held with no problems and cost me less than $20 to fix.

Hunterb
06-21-2006, 01:34 AM
I second the fixing of the muffler with some fiberglass cloth. Very cheap and easy to do and seems to work fine.

If the boat was working fine and just recently started to give you trouble then you may want to get a rebuild kit for the carb, or have someone take a look at it for you, before you ditch if for a new carb and intake. That's an expensive fix for what could be a simple problem.

Good luck with it.

Bruce

east tx skier
06-21-2006, 01:50 AM
I'm sure it's the stock carb on the boat, I'm not sure which one it is though. I wrote down the part # and looked on Holley's website and couldn't find it. A few days ago it was running fine.

Thanks for the input

Alan

Shoot a picture of it. Easy way to tell is does it have 1 fuel line going up to the lower, port side of the carb (4160) or does it have a forked fuel line going into the starboard side (dual feed 4010). Is it brass (4160) or aluminum (4010)? If stock, do you have 250 hp (4160) or 285 hp (4010)?

sanjuan23
06-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Doug you know entirely too much!! Come get my red baby looking as good as yours! :wavey:

sanjuan23
06-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Easty which carb am I running kinda fuzzy right now Mavs lost

sanjuan23
06-21-2006, 02:24 AM
Yes I know those valve covers look horrible. Winter project! :eek:

jsonova99
06-21-2006, 07:11 AM
that's the 4010 I believe. I have a 4160 on my 91 and I just rebuilt and it runs like a new boat now. I have thought of adding that Edelbrock intake manifold though.

Does the 4160 mate right up to it with the skidim adapter plate? Do you need to remove the heads at all?

TMCNo1
06-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Easty which carb am I running kinda fuzzy right now Mavs lost

That is a 4010, it is aluminum in color and has a double feed gas line on the starboard side [driver side] of the carb. The 4160, gold in color, has a single feed gas line entering the carb on the front port side [observer side] of the carb. The 4010 is often called a "double pumper" or "dual line Holley".
Yea, when the Mavs lose, carbs turn that corroded color!

Hoff1
06-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Alan,
my carb (4160) seems to have some of the symptoms that you describe. Tends to "load up" when idling but clears out fine if you rev it up. I was leaning towards a carb rebuild kit from skidim to fix it, but if it's another cause I'd be interested. Carb is probably due for a rebuild anyway.

JohnnyB
06-21-2006, 02:52 PM
I had a friend of mine who does fiberglass repair, repair my silent master exhaust with fiberglass mesh, etc. This is a temporary fix as eventually it will leak again. If you look at how it is made, the stress points are where the elbows come down out of the muffler....lol with the $20 fix, maybe it will work for you. If I was going to keep the boat long-term, I'd buy two single mufflers from DIM and get rid of the dinosaur egg.

Here's a past thread with similar discussion.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8285&highlight=dinosaur

WilliM1940
06-21-2006, 03:04 PM
I was thinking about the Performer also, but then someone suggested a potential corrosion problem running raw water, aluminum on cast iron. Does anyone know if Ford ever made a cast iron intake manifold of the double plane variety similar to the Performer?

jeverett
06-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Second problem is the boat just started to run real rich and seems to load up. If I rev the engine up it seems to clear up. Is there a upgraded intake carb combo that would help me o

Alan

Dude before you go spend a bunch of money on stuff try replacing the PCV valve. I had the same problem and that seemed to clear it right up. It's a $10.00 part.

Alanb
06-21-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm sure the carb has only one gas feed line so, I must have the 4160. I'll take some pics next time I'm at the lake. I have fresh fuel in the boat, I put 10 to 15 hours on it weekly.

Great idea on the PCV I looked at it and blew it out, but I'll get a new one and try that.

What parts do I need to switch over to the dual mufflers?

Thanks for all the replies. I bought the boat with 350 hours on it and never had a problem with it. I just did the basic maintenance stuff on the boat and it has worked flawlessly.

Thanks again for all the help. This site rocks!!!!

skibrink
06-27-2006, 10:31 PM
T Scott & Hunterb - I would rather do a $20 fix than repipe my whole exhaust, even if I have to go all in later. (time value of $ and all that) How tough was your fix? Where was the damage? I have small cracks in the glass at the trailing end where the glass slides into the hose. Tightening the hose clamps makes it worse. How is your repair holding up?

east tx skier - I followed your tips to replace the packing, refinish my platform and a few othersitems. All projects turned out well, so I'd be interested in your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks all.