PDA

View Full Version : starter wont disengage

madison
06-20-2006, 02:35 PM
help!! after a month of tinkering and finally getting the engine to start, the damn starter wont disengage! any ideas on what is causing this??
when I disconnect the battery the motor shuts off..I found that strange...

thanks
madison

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 02:48 PM
help!! after a month of tinkering and finally getting the engine to start, the damn starter wont disengage! any ideas on what is causing this??
when I disconnect the battery the motor shuts off..I found that strange...

thanks
madison

If you have the Ford 351W I'd bet it is the solenoid. When this occurs try rapping the solenoid (it was on the back of the motor near the transmission on my 86') with a screwdriver. I had this problem with my 86 twice, that solved it. THey are self cleaning brushes, if they aren't cleaning it's time to replace it. IIRC, the part is about $15 or so.

jsonova99
06-20-2006, 03:18 PM
I replaced the solenoid on my 351, and it turned out not to be the culprit. What I have found, and I haven't proven it 100% yet, is that it's the ignition module. When I have this problem and then spray some WD40 in the key hole, turn the key a few times, it will fix it immediately. Is this coincidence? Possibly, but right now it's my best guess. I'm going to replace it, only a $25 part, and see if it goes away all together. Let us know if you find something else. You still may want to replace the solenoid just in case since it's cheap.

madison
06-20-2006, 03:27 PM
ok I have replaced almost every electrical part on the boat... solenoid,starter,ignition switch,coil,points,condensor.. I got it to start just a few minutes ago by just turning it over maybe 2 seconds at a time .. so far so good.. ( maybe the motor is tight since it was rebuilt recently) so is it possible the solenoid was getting hot and sticking??

now my problem is I cant get any water to flow through the motor!!!!!!!!! brand new impeller.. I just put it in this morning... I took the hose that comes out the top of the impeller and nothing comes out.. I checked the intake and the filter.. all clear.... now im going to go back down to the lake and try priming the entire system..does that sound crazy???

will be back with an update soon..its 3:30 here now...

thanks alot!

madison

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 03:29 PM
ok I have replaced almost every electrical part on the boat... solenoid,starter,ignition switch,coil,points,condensor.. I got it to start just a few minutes ago by just turning it over maybe 2 seconds at a time .. so far so good.. ( maybe the motor is tight since it was rebuilt recently) so is it possible the solenoid was getting hot and sticking??

now my problem is I cant get any water to flow through the motor!!!!!!!!! brand new impeller.. I just put it in this morning... I took the hose that comes out the top of the impeller and nothing comes out.. I checked the intake and the filter.. all clear.... now im going to go back down to the lake and try priming the entire system..does that sound crazy???

thanks alot!

madison

Did you put the impeller in backwards?

madison
06-20-2006, 03:34 PM
backwards??? I hope you are messing with me!! otherwise im gonna feel real stupid!!!!

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 03:37 PM
backwards??? I hope you are messing with me!! otherwise im gonna feel real stupid!!!!

IIRC those model year impellers were directional. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Have you checked all the hoses to make sure no cuts in the hoses? Impeller housing is sealed tight?

Bruce Carr
06-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Did you put the impeller in backwards?

I am not so sure about the impeller being directional but I know for sure you can mount the pump upside down. In other words, the pump will bolt up with the inlet pointed up and the outlet pointed down causing the pump to try and pump water out of the engine instead of into it.

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 03:58 PM
I am not so sure about the impeller being directional but I know for sure you can mount the pump upside down. In other words, the pump will bolt up with the inlet pointed up and the outlet pointed down causing the pump to try and pump water out of the engine instead of into it.

That might be what I was thinking.......I just remember reading somewhere (I believe in Waterski mag) many years ago about watching for this.

madison
06-20-2006, 04:01 PM
removed impeller and installed it the other way.. still no water!

I also took the large hose off that comes from the thermostat down to the water pump..I looked in there and its full of water.. but it just sits there when I run the engine! so I guess the water pump is shot??

but the impeller should still be drawing water in.. I took the outflow hose off of the imp. and nothing is coming out.. ive checked every inch of hose

the engine is getting to hot so im gonna let it sit over night and try something else tommorow! I dont really know what else to try,, other than staring at it scratching my head!!

madison

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 04:03 PM
So what your saying is there is water at the Water pump but thats where the water goes then stops?

madison
06-20-2006, 04:05 PM

the pump is for sure on correctly.. you can tell by the way the impeller fins are turning

intake on bottom.. out on top..

madison

madison
06-20-2006, 04:06 PM
So what your saying is there is water at the Water pump but thats where the water goes then stops?

no..no water comes out of the impeller.. and there is water sitting in the hose that connects the water pump and the thermostat..

madison

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 04:10 PM
no..no water comes out of the impeller.. and there is water sitting in the hose that connects the water pump and the thermostat..

madison

Take the hose off at the impeller housing that pumps out the water and start the boat. I can't figure out why if you've checked to make sure you don't have a clog downstream that you wouldn't be squirting water. Is the belt good and tight and in good shape? Start the boat with the hose disconnected and see if indeed you aren't getting water.

madison
06-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Take the hose off at the impeller housing that pumps out the water and start the boat. I can't figure out why if you've checked to make sure you don't have a clog downstream that you wouldn't be squirting water. Is the belt good and tight and in good shape? Start the boat with the hose disconnected and see if indeed you aren't getting water.

This is why its driving me nuts!! it doesnt make any sense.. I blew out the hose from the intake on the imp until I heard bubbles coming up from under the boat .. so its clear.. the impeller just wont suck up anything but air..

and as far as the water pump ,, it should suck that water down as soon as I turn the motor over... it just sits there ,, the water flow SHOULD goes like this.. impeller , up to thermostat, then down to the water pump then into the engine.... and from the hose that connects the thermo to the water pump is the one that has water just sitting in it..

im totally stumped!! thanks for the help though , I appreciate it!

madison

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Let me look at my boat (while not the same but get an idea) It's been a long day and my brain is fried but thinking it should go impeller, waterpump, then thermostat. You wouldn't have water down to the waterpump the way you are mentioning it because your impeller goes to the thermostat which will be closed until the water temp gets hot enough to circulate the water. Again it's been a long day I'll check my theory tonight.

Brent
06-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Take the plate off in front of the impeller & turn the engine over to make sure the impeller is rotating & rotating in the correct direction (clockwise I think). You could have a faulty impeller or god knows what else. I feel for ya, I'd be going friken nuts!

madison
06-20-2006, 05:17 PM
ok tried something else.. I filled the hose that goes from the strainer thing near the tranny to the impeller.. then cranked her over.,.. it sucked that water through real fast!! but when I hooked the hose back on it wont pull through the intake on the bottom of the boat....I blew out the strainer thing and it was clear..

madison

Bruce Carr
06-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Remove the upper hose (outlet) from the raw water pump. This hose is about 1 to 1 1/8" inside diameter. Make sure the Lower hose (inlet) to the raw water pump is connected. Check to make sure ypu have good tight clamps at the trans heat exchanger and at the through hull fitting.

Now, with the boat in the water, crank up the engine. The raw water pump should shoot a stream of water two feet in the air. if it doesn't pump water, you either have a BIG airleak, the pump housing is sucking air or like I said before, the pump is upside down.

Bruce Carr
06-20-2006, 05:27 PM
ok tried something else.. I filled the hose that goes from the strainer thing near the tranny to the impeller.. then cranked her over.,.. it sucked that water through real fast!! but when I hooked the hose back on it wont pull through the intake on the bottom of the boat....I blew out the strainer thing and it was clear..

madison

You have a strainer huh? Bypass the strainer, running the inlet hose directly to the through hull fitting. You may have to splice a piece of garden hose onto your inlet hose and then just drop the hose over the side of the boat. Crank it up and see if the pump shoots the afore mentioned two foot stream of water. If it starts pumping, you have an air leak at your strainer. Probably the O ring on the lid of the strainer. Good luck and keep us informed.

BriEOD
06-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Up to 86 MC used the PCM motors not Indmar. The impeller is inside a water pump that can be mounted upside down and cause the impeller to blow rather than suck (no pun intended). However, if he has an 89' it should be an Indmar and that would not be the case.

Have you cleared the line all the way back?

madison
06-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Up to 86 MC used the PCM motors not Indmar. The impeller is inside a water pump that can be mounted upside down and cause the impeller to blow rather than suck (no pun intended). However, if he has an 89' it should be an Indmar and that would not be the case.

yes I have cleared the line all the way back to the intake under the boat...all is clear.. Im going to go ahead and replace all the hoses just to be on the safe side.. they are all a little dry.. I will try the hose trick over the side of the boat tommorow and will send the results!!

wish me luck!

thanks
madison

Bruce Carr
06-21-2006, 11:28 AM

Brieod, you are right. I was thinking this was a PCM motor where the pump can be easily installed upside down. I didn't know MC went to Indmar that early, I thought it was around '91.

Anyway, I have had a leaky strainer cover (bad O ring ) on my Nautique which behaved just like this. It wasn't visually obvious.

Cloaked
06-21-2006, 12:03 PM

thanks alot!

madisonWhat method of water input are you using? I have seen a boat sit in the water with the intake submerged and never draw a drop until forward motion to force water into the system. Remember a (water) pump does not suck.

That is why I like to place water in through the top of the cooler with a garden hose. It has no choice but to take water or spew right back out. And the beauty of that is I never have to leave the driveway. You can sit right there and run your engine as long as you like (in neutral).

madison
06-21-2006, 02:55 PM
well good news!!! I tried the water hose in the strainer cooler thing.. it sucked it right in! so I checked the hose from that to the bottom of the boat and sure enough it had a tiny crack and thats where the air was getting sucked in rather than water!! so I replaced it and all is good!

thanks so much for the help everyone!!

im off to the gas station!! and I gotta get a paddle just in case (fingers crossed)

regards
madison

BriEOD
06-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Glad to hear it is running Madison. That is a frustrating feeling.

Cloaked
06-21-2006, 06:36 PM
well good news!!! I tried the water hose in the strainer cooler thing.. it sucked it right in! so I checked the hose from that to the bottom of the boat and sure enough it had a tiny crack and thats where the air was getting sucked in rather than water!! so I replaced it and all is good!

thanks so much for the help everyone!!

im off to the gas station!! and I gotta get a paddle just in case (fingers crossed)

regards
madison
LOL.. You got part of it correct, but nonetheless I know you're glad to be up and running. Good deal.

Have a great weekend and boat safely. :toast: