PDA

View Full Version : 2005 197 Wake - I'm Impressed!!!

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 12:00 PM
went out behind the 2005 197 for the 1st wakeboard pull ever behind her, NICE!!!was quite impressed without any fat sacs or extended pylon...

nice stiff wake and flat table top for surface tricks...

skied behind a TT with a full tower at an INT tourney on sunday, quite impressed that the tower didn't affect the slalom wake at all...

got me thinking about a mini tower, but would have problems getting it to clear under my boat lift and canopy...right now the boat barely fits with the mirror up...and when it is cranked all the way up the windshield is just inches from the top canopy frame...need this high up to prevent water from coming inside as well as sunlight...

east tx skier
06-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Did it have the 06 rudder? I hear that sweetens the deal even more.

erkoehler
06-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Add some weight to the back, and you'll be even more amazed :D

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Did it have the 06 rudder? I hear that sweetens the deal even more.
just dropped her off today to finally get the 06 rudder upgrade...really needed it because without it, turns like a tank, especially with our tight setup at one end of our course...couple times almost ended up near a rockpile...

such a world of difference from the 1985, every pull would yank the 85 left and right ruining the characteristics of the wake every time...

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Add some weight to the back, and you'll be even more amazed :D
i've got an oldschool style side sacs, as well as side seats...not sure if the new Barefoot International Tsunami pumps will work on this old style???

anyone got any of these sacs to do a comparison???how much weight in the back versus the front???

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Had a 500 lbs sac in my X7 a while ago, (not using the standard sac too) it had a NICE wake for a ski boat. Plenty big for anybody I know.

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Had a 500 lbs sac in my X7 a while ago, (not using the standard sac too) it had a NICE wake for a ski boat. Plenty big for anybody I know.
now in the X series are any of the hulls the same as the 197???

erkoehler
06-20-2006, 12:16 PM
now in the X series are any of the hulls the same as the 197???

The X7 and 197 are exactly the same hull.

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 12:17 PM
The X7 and 197 are exactly the same hull.

^^^^^^^^ What he said ;)

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 12:18 PM
looks like the Tsunami pump will work on new and old style fittings http://barefootinternational.com/

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 12:19 PM
looks like the Tsunami pump will work on new and old style fittings http://barefootinternational.com/

Mag Red has that pump. It really sucks!! (In a good way :D )

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 12:20 PM
^^^^^^^^ What he said ;)
where did you put the 500lb sac???you mention not using the original sac, you mean the one that comes built in on the rear???

how tough to retrofit the ballast system???

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 12:22 PM
where did you put the 500lb sac???you mention not using the original sac, you mean the one that comes built in on the rear???

how tough to retrofit the ballast system???

It was Mag Reds Fat Sac. Just laid it on teh floor and took out the back seat. Plenty of room. Mine has a built in FS that is about 350 lbs I believe.

As for retrofitting in one I have no clue.

baedriver
06-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I have an 06 197 and with four people in the boat on a 60ft line at about 20.8 mph is what we have been using on the PP and it works really well. I am also very impressed

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 01:03 PM
I have an 06 197 and with four people in the boat on a 60ft line at about 20.8 mph is what we have been using on the PP and it works really well. I am also very impressed
NICE, have to bump up the speed...i was at 19.8 or something like that...which felt good...

are you using an extended pylon or rack???would like to get one that won't mar the aluminum and leave scratches/gauges...

Ric
06-20-2006, 01:10 PM
ME TOO!!!!!! (oh you were talking about wakeboard wake?,...... ok that's good too)

where is that guy who said there were too many problems with MC boats? There is wayy too much love for our boats to be accused of having low quality crafts!

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 01:20 PM
ME TOO!!!!!! (oh you were talking about wakeboard wake?,...... ok that's good too)

where is that guy who said there were too many problems with MC boats? There is wayy too much love for our boats to be accused of having low quality crafts!

yahhh i'm a diehard slalom guy, but the only one in my family...so gotta break out the wakeboard and throw back some cold ones...

anyone footed behind the 197 yet???can't wait to try it, looks so nice and smooth at 42mph...

jkski
06-20-2006, 01:21 PM
went out behind the 2005 197 for the 1st wakeboard pull ever behind her, NICE!!!was quite impressed without any fat sacs or extended pylon...

nice stiff wake and flat table top for surface tricks...

skied behind a TT with a full tower at an INT tourney on sunday, quite impressed that the tower didn't affect the slalom wake at all...

got me thinking about a mini tower, but would have problems getting it to clear under my boat lift and canopy...right now the boat barely fits with the mirror up...and when it is cranked all the way up the windshield is just inches from the top canopy frame...need this high up to prevent water from coming inside as well as sunlight...

I've got the same boat only with the full size tower, and I simply fold down the tower and sneak it up under the canopy, almost all the way up. You'll see the set-up on Thursday morning, so far I've been pretty happy.

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 01:24 PM
I've got the same boat only with the full size tower, and I simply fold down the tower and sneak it up under the canopy, almost all the way up. You'll see the set-up on Thursday morning, so far I've been pretty happy.
nice, so the full size tower easily folds down as low as the windshield, NO DOUBT!!!how about the mini, kinda like the lines of that better...

i was quite impressed, couldn't tell any difference in the wake with the extra weight of the tower...i was behind an '03 197 with tower/racks/subwoofer and larger cadillac engine and the wake was awful at all slalom speeds...thought it was the weight then...

rodltg2
06-20-2006, 01:29 PM
yahhh i'm a diehard slalom guy, but the only one in my family...so gotta break out the wakeboard and throw back some cold ones...

anyone footed behind the 197 yet???can't wait to try it, looks so nice and smooth at 42mph...

ive footed behind it. its nice... dont foot much long line anyomore since i rather save the beatings for the course.. :D

Ric
06-20-2006, 01:34 PM
the mini tower folds down to just above the windshield frame
see pics in my gallery

(I have a camera icon) :) it's nice

nice, so the full size tower easily folds down as low as the windshield, NO DOUBT!!!how about the mini, kinda like the lines of that better...

i was quite impressed, couldn't tell any difference in the wake with the extra weight of the tower...i was behind an '03 197 with tower/racks/subwoofer and larger cadillac engine and the wake was awful at all slalom speeds...thought it was the weight then...

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 01:37 PM
ive footed behind it. its nice... dont foot much long line anyomore since i rather save the beatings for the course.. :D
been waiting until the engine is broken in, just turned over 25hrs...not bad for this early in the season, figuring ended last season with 9hrs...

rodltg2
06-20-2006, 01:44 PM
man you need to move to cali! i have 70hrs, bought boat new in sept.

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 01:51 PM
the mini tower folds down to just above the windshield frame
see pics in my gallery

(I have a camera icon) :) it's nice
how'd ya get that camera icon, i'm jealous!!!great pics on your gallery, got any of them folded down???where do the arms rest and the slalom & wakeboard rack???curious as to how far they stick out...because i don't have much clearance on my lift these days...

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 01:51 PM
man you need to move to cali! i have 70hrs, bought boat new in sept.
don't rub it in, didn't get my '05 until october last year then the weather turned nasty...so had to sit all winter, making those payments!!!

jkski
06-20-2006, 01:56 PM
I've got the slalom rack on one side and the board rack on the other, and when the boat is fully up on the lift, the slalom rack is touching my canopy cover (with the tower folded down).

As for footin' behind the 197, it is great for everything. The table is nice, the wells are good for riding in and doing tumble turns, and the prop wash isn't bad at all from 100ft. all the way in to 80. Wake crossings are smooth and easy and it has a nice pull, especially from the tower.

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 02:24 PM
I've got the slalom rack on one side and the board rack on the other, and when the boat is fully up on the lift, the slalom rack is touching my canopy cover (with the tower folded down).
got any pics of this setup, if not i'll be seeing it soon enough!!!that is really tempting...

what lift did you end up going with, the 3600lb???
3000 - 104" x 109"
3000 wide - 113" x 109"
3600 - 104" x 109"
3600 wide - 113" x 109"

i've got the 104" 3000lb, but looking to upgrade possibly to the double pulley setup (only difference b/w 3000lb and 3600lb) - think it is the 104" wide, because when up on the lift i can barely squeeze by chest between the boat and canopy leg, because has a 91" beam...
Double Pulley Conversion Kit
For 3000 lb lift. Converts lift to 3600 lb capacity.
$205.85 part# L1PCO

BuoyChaser
06-20-2006, 02:25 PM
As for footin' behind the 197, it is great for everything. The table is nice, the wells are good for riding in and doing tumble turns, and the prop wash isn't bad at all from 100ft. all the way in to 80. Wake crossings are smooth and easy and it has a nice pull, especially from the tower.
where do you foot, on West Branch???now you make me wish I brought my suit out with me!!!can't wait to try the butter...talk about the all around best boat, LOVIN' LIFE behind my 197!!!

jkski
06-20-2006, 03:01 PM
YEP, I foot at Westbranch mostly on weekend mornings before the crowd hits. Can usually find some nice water, and there aren't many footers out there doing battle for the best spots.

As for the lift, I do not have any photo's yet, but it is the 3000lb lift with single cable. We did put a heavier duty cable on it and it seems to do just fine. You'll see it all on Thursday, so feel free to bring your camera.

wiltok
06-20-2006, 11:07 PM
This may be stupid question - but can surf behind an X-7?? I mean actually throw the handle and ride the wake? Anyone? Bueller??

3event
06-20-2006, 11:14 PM
With the stock rear ballast full and 2.5 backseat riders plus driver/observer I was not able to freeride. But I'm a newbie and I picked a shortboard for maneuverability, Hyperlite 4'9". Some recommend a longer board which would probably do it. Thinking about adding some fatbricks to the equation.

nroland
06-27-2006, 05:25 AM
We have the 197 w/ full tower, ballast, bimini, boom, etc ... and footin, wakeboarding, trick, doubles, pyramids, and of course skiing have all been done behind our boat -- it performs great for all of them. We've only pulled up 8 skiers at once (two skis deepwater), but in my parents 01 190 we got 11 up with the 310 w/ slot. We have the MCX in our 197 ... but 8 didn't seem to phase it a bit.

Ric
06-27-2006, 08:19 AM
how'd ya get that camera icon, i'm jealous!!!great pics on your gallery, got any of them folded down???where do the arms rest and the slalom & wakeboard rack???curious as to how far they stick out...because i don't have much clearance on my lift these days...
:D look on page 2 of my gallery for tower folded pics

just click my CAMERA ICON to get there eh Pendo :wavey: