PDA

View Full Version : trolling motor for a 24' pontoon boat?

mitch
06-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Anyone have a clue what size trolling motor I'd need to move a a 24' pontoon boat? Do I need to be concerned with shaft length? <-- Assume I'm opening myself up a bit here :D

Thanks! I know nothing about these.

saw this one on craigslist.

1: 50 lb Thrust Minkota long shaft for bow mount use - 150.00

shepherd
06-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Any trolling motor will move almost any boat if there is no current or wind to fight against. I have a MinnKota Riptide (55 lb thrust) on my 17' skiff and it works great - plenty of power. I was told that was the best motor for saltwater use so that's what I got - (about $600 + $100 for deep cycle battery). They make an 80 and 110 lb. thrust motor too, I think, but more expensive.

erkoehler
06-20-2006, 10:11 AM
50lb. for a pontoon boat is not going to work too well. They do make special mounts as well for pontoon boats :)

LakePirate
06-20-2006, 11:05 AM
We have one on the front of our Toon and it pretty much sucks. If there is any wind or current someone will have to have full time duty running the trolling motor. I don't remember off hand what it is. It is just an impratical use IMHO. If possible find someone that has one and test it out before you drop the cash on one.

Cloaked
06-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Anyone have a clue what size trolling motor I'd need to move a a 24' pontoon boat? Do I need to be concerned with shaft length? <-- Assume I'm opening myself up a bit here :D

Thanks! I know nothing about these.

saw this one on craigslist.

1: 50 lb Thrust Minkota long shaft for bow mount use - 150.00A troller will not do your needs justice for a pontoon boat, with any puff of wind. I have had three pontoons over the years and finally gave up on trolling motors to be effective for any practical purposes, however I'm certain there are optimal conditions that would prove me wrong. I just got tired of messing with them for the return of service I needed.

If it's maneuverability you're looking for it won't do you good. If it's slow trolling while fishing, I'd consider a small HP add-on motor to troll at a lower speed or other options that I have seen available.

Ben
06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Interesting responses. I've been wondering about doing this too. Basically, for us, it would just be a quieter way to idle around the lake. The 2 stroke is noisy and a electric motor would be nice slow for evening cruises. The 30HP is still on the back to get somewhere in a hurry....

mitch
06-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Good responses all, thanks! I've decided to spend the $ on beer instead ;)

shepherd
06-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Good decision :friday: After thinking about it and re-reading these posts, I realized a 24' pontoon boat would be a lot heavier and less maneuverable than a 17' flat bottom skiff.