PDA

View Full Version : New Tranny!!

6ballsisall
10-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Ordered the replacement tranny for the 86 last week and it's hear today. Poor UPS guy!! Thought he might break his back carrying it down the driveway. :o

Ordered it from Eric @ Fantastic Finish Marine, he seems like a great guy. Hopefully I will be putting the tranny in this weekend. I'll report back with my successes!

Mag_Red
10-19-2004, 07:50 PM
:toast: I'm still trying to just get mine drained :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
10-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Well I got the new Tranny in today. Not to bad, only took 3 hours start to finish. Everything seemed fine but not the case. Looks like I will be calling Fantastic Finish on Monday. Something isnt right. It seems to want to hang up a little and sounds like something is loose in there. I have a sneakin suspicion it is the Dampener plate. Of course the one part I did not replace! :mad: There was some rust in there and on the flywheel as well as some water in the bellhousing. I wet vacced out the water. I wonder if this boat had seen some water inside? Is that normal to find?

6balls
10-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Every time I see this thread I think that someone is bragging about a recently completed sex change operation. :confused:

MarkP
10-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Every time I see this thread I think that someone is bragging about a recently completed sex change operation. :confused:Well LOL "6balls":uglyhamme !!!!

And Congrats:confused: ??

6balls
10-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Okay - now read this under the context I have proposed. :D
LMAO

Well I got the new Tranny in today. Not to bad, only took 3 hours start to finish. Everything seemed fine but not the case. Looks like I will be calling Fantastic Finish on Monday. Something isnt right. It seems to want to hang up a little and sounds like something is loose in there. I have a sneakin suspicion it is the Dampener plate. Of course the one part I did not replace! :mad: There was some rust in there and on the flywheel as well as some water in the bellhousing. I wet vacced out the water. I wonder if this boat had seen some water inside? Is that normal to find?

lakes Rick
10-25-2004, 01:17 PM
6balls,

You should probably be sober when you reply to this board...

6ballsisall
10-25-2004, 09:27 PM
6Balls, I guess I fail to see the humor or joke in this at all. Perhaps you care to share your wisdom?

None the less, does anyone have any answers to my question about the Dampener Plate?

BrianM
10-26-2004, 08:13 AM
I just had the tranny redone in my '88 and the mechanic had problems getting the new tranny back together with damper plate as well. I would guess that that is your culperate. From what I have heard the input shafts are sensitive to rust and not fitting. If the damper plate and flywheel were rusty you should definately replace that damper plate and clean up the flywheel before putting it back together. Water in the bell housing is not normal. The plates are about $90 and easy to replace when you have the tranny out anyway. I shure would hate to have just replaced the tranny and then have to basicly do the whole job over again soon after because my old damper plate went bad. Hope that helps.

Thrall
10-26-2004, 09:50 AM
jrandol,
Did you get a rebuilt trans, or did you have them repair your old trans?
If you bought a rebuilt, then I'd be on the phone to Fantastic finish pronto. Sounds like you just got a takeout from another boat. Rust??? Water????
That aint right!

6balls
10-26-2004, 01:20 PM
6Balls, I guess I fail to see the humor or joke in this at all. Perhaps you care to share your wisdom?

None the less, does anyone have any answers to my question about the Dampener Plate?

Sorry, My humor is a bit twisted, I'll try to save it for those who get it.

Good Luck with your transmission.

6ballsisall
10-26-2004, 07:02 PM
jrandol,
Did you get a rebuilt trans, or did you have them repair your old trans?
If you bought a rebuilt, then I'd be on the phone to Fantastic finish pronto. Sounds like you just got a takeout from another boat. Rust??? Water????
That aint right!

I got a rebuilt from them. Still have to send my tranny in for a core. The rust is on the flywheel and damper plate which is on my boat, not on the new tranny. I have a pretty good feeling that its the damper plate that is the culprit. Still trying to connect with Fantastic Finish on this. Eric apparently is out for a few days and no one else can help. We will see! :rolleyes:

lakes Rick
10-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Sorry, My humor is a bit twisted, I'll try to save it for those who get it.

Good Luck with your transmission.

Oh so you get beat up a little and run away??? Ahnold has a name for guys like you.....

6balls
10-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Oh so you get beat up a little and run away??? Ahnold has a name for guys like you.....

It's not that I'm running away, I'd just rather not waste my tremendous comic talent on some guy who gets his panites in a bunch over a joke that he "fails to see the humor in".

I'm still laughing my *** off at the whole "tranny" thing :dance:

bcampbe7
10-27-2004, 12:45 PM
After re-reading the post with that mindset it is pretty funny.

sizzler
10-28-2004, 03:36 AM
6balls..........that humour is never wasted over this side of the pond...keep it up and you could be an honorary englishman(almost)..

chaps,,,(in all seriousness),,,,,we need laughter to get us through the day :headbang:

6ballsisall
10-28-2004, 10:56 PM
It's not that I'm running away, I'd just rather not waste my tremendous comic talent on some guy who gets his panites in a bunch over a joke that he "fails to see the humor in".

I'm still laughing my *** off at the whole "tranny" thing :dance:

6Balls, I don't have my "panties in a bunch" Call me really blonde or something. I really don't get it! What is so funny? Seriously please enlighten!

6balls
10-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Okay, here we go:

"Tranny" - A shortened version of Transexual n.
Defined as: One who has undergone a sex change.

Following a sex change the person will have the apparent anatomical structures and function typical of the new sex.

So bearing that in mind and considering the "plumbing" involved in such an operation and the other meaning of the word "Tranny" - Your post is a rather humorous read when taken in this context.

Class is dismissed. :uglyhamme

6ballsisall
10-29-2004, 09:50 AM
:banana: :uglyhamme :woohoo: :friday:

Got it now!! Thanks 6Balls

ski_king
10-29-2004, 10:02 AM
........the apparent anatomical structures and function typical of the new sex.........considering the "plumbing" involved in such an operation ..........

And this is by somebody using the name 6balls? :eek:
That makes it even funnier!

Leroy
10-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Ha, now I've got 6balls and tranny associated!

ski_king
10-29-2004, 10:18 AM
On the serious side, let us know how things go after talking with Fantastic Finish Marine. I have the same transmission (carefull not to say tranny) in my ageing boat and may need the same service.

ktn_cmu
10-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Ha, now I've got 6balls and tranny associated!

HA HA HA...now that is funny...

Bert
10-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Every time I see this thread I think that someone is bragging about a recently completed sex change operation. :confused:

Huh ??? :confused:

6ballsisall
10-30-2004, 11:30 AM
On the serious side, let us know how things go after talking with Fantastic Finish Marine. I have the same transmission (carefull not to say tranny) in my ageing boat and may need the same service.

Everyone seems to think it is the damper plate. So ordering it on Monday from Ski Dim. Round 2! :popcorn:

Leroy
10-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Bert; Explanation below.

Bert
10-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Bert; Explanation below.

Oh, Now i get it

6ballsisall
11-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Put the new Damper Plate in yesterday and voila!! It works!!! :banana: I should have taken my camera with me when we took the old Damper Plate out. You wouldnt believe how bad it was! Several of the metal cases that cover the springs were tore out and pieces of the springs were every where!! I'll bet money nothing was wrong with the 1st Transmission (that ones for you 6Balls :D )

Planning on taking the boat out again today and continue to break in the transimission. Prop is kinda dinged up so Can't lay into it though. :mad:

stumbledog
09-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Put the new Damper Plate in yesterday and voila!! It works!!! :banana: I should have taken my camera with me when we took the old Damper Plate out. You wouldnt believe how bad it was! Several of the metal cases that cover the springs were tore out and pieces of the springs were every where!! I'll bet money nothing was wrong with the 1st Transmission (that ones for you 6Balls :D )

Planning on taking the boat out again today and continue to break in the transimission. Prop is kinda dinged up so Can't lay into it though. :mad:

So what was your original problem that made you think the transmission was bad? I think I need to rebuild mine, but not sure how a bad damper plate would cause the transmission to function.