PDA

View Full Version : Right ATV?

6ballsisall
06-19-2006, 09:30 PM
So my Dad is getting a new ATV for their place in the Rockies. It will be used to plow snow at their mountain house in the winter (they are at just under 10k feet) and in the summer he'll use it for utility purposes. I.E. Hauling and pulling away downed timber, pulling a garden tractor size utility trailer, pulling his log splitter around their land, etc...

Recommendations? The features I know he wants are:

Auto trans
4x4 w/ Low Range

He keeps hearing good things about Honda's and seems to be leaning that way. We don't think he needs the biggest motor but don't want the smallest either, kind of thinking in the 400cc range.

Opinions based on facts anyone?

mitch
06-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Very happy with my 05 Polaris 4x4. It's 400cc w/ low. Very nice suspensions on the Polaris quads. Heard they are not the best for plowing, but I can't base that on facts :D

So my Dad is getting a new ATV for their place in the Rockies. It will be used to plow snow at their mountain house in the winter (they are at just under 10k feet) and in the summer he'll use it for utility purposes. I.E. Hauling and pulling away downed timber, pulling a garden tractor size utility trailer, pulling his log splitter around their land, etc...

Recommendations? The features I know he wants are:

Auto trans
4x4 w/ Low Range

He keeps hearing good things about Honda's and seems to be leaning that way. We don't think he needs the biggest motor but don't want the smallest either, kind of thinking in the 400cc range.

Opinions based on facts anyone?

86Craft
06-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Recommendations?

Yeah, I recommend buying a 1970ish Jeep CJ-7 4x4 with a winch and plow. :dance: Small enough for the trails, big enough to move the timber.
A atv to move serious snow I do not believe works to well, and no heat! More toy than worker.

jimmer2880
06-20-2006, 05:57 AM
A buddy of mine just bought the Yamaha Rhino. It's a side-by-side - so not a true ATV. But - I have to say that thing is 1 heck of a machine!

Workin' 4 Toys
06-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Very happy with my 05 Polaris 4x4. It's 400cc w/ low. Very nice suspensions on the Polaris quads. Heard they are not the best for plowing, but I can't base that on facts :D
This is a very nice machine too.
One of my relatives bought an 06 Arctic Cat 500 over the winter. Used it for plowing, works like a mule. Took it off roading a few times now, unbelievable. Front locker, 4X4 or 2X4 selectable, winch, plow, hand grip warmers, and about every accessory imaginable available. Driving it is like a no brainer, no shifting, fully automatic. It's what I will get if I don't go to the 650 Tony stewart edition.....

Workin' 4 Toys
06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Oh yeah, it's 4X4 high and low range.

#47of100TeamMC
06-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Based on your plowing snow criteria alone... I would definatley get a liquid cooled machine... Immediately rule out the air cooled machines. Snow can easily get packed into the undercarriage and block airflow to the motor increasing the chance of over-heating. So in a Honda, I would look at the Rubicon. auto, or manual selectable. (manual is pushbutton shift not foot shifted) The BIG honda the Rincon. 650cc. is actually not recommended by honda for towing hauling anything ONLY trail riding. I know a lot of people that use them for plowing and hauling and it definatley can handle it... but Honda actually recommends not to... with the independant rear suspension of the rincon the payload isn't close to the capacity of the rubicon which has a straight rear axle. On the Bombardier note... My brother bought an Outlander XT the 400 last year. plows his driveway like a dream, Independant rear suspension is Awesome for trail riding too, But again, not as big of a payload capacity as a straight axle would be. But it's Automatic, Selectable 4x2, 4x4. Really nice machine.

mgurley
06-20-2006, 09:51 AM
I got the Grizzly 660...4x4, High, low, auto, differential lock, liquid cooled etc...

heres a pic

Mikey
06-20-2006, 09:55 AM
I will second the Yamaha Rhino. It is an awesome machine with more than enough power and comfortable too. It will go just about anywhere that the regular 4 wheelers go. I havnt plowed any snow with it but I would imagine that being as heavy as it is it would do quite well. The only thing that could use improvement would be standard cup holders to hold your beverage of choice.

mgurley
06-20-2006, 10:19 AM
The rhino is nice...basically same features as the grizzly but in a side by side..

Datdude
06-20-2006, 10:21 AM
I finally got a ride in a Rhino 66o last night and it was awesome! The owner had put the ITP mud tires/rims on it and looked very good. I was also amazed at how fast it was for a big vehicle. We actually had it sideways(drifting) on the pavement which was a rush :headbang:

When it comes to plowing, I had a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 that worked much better than I ever expected. I installed a "county plow" blade and it worked very well. I have a fairly long driveway and was expecting the snow to build up and the 4 wheeler would not be able to push it, but that never happened. I easily moved 10" of very wet snow. My only issue with the plow was the blade was not heavy enough to get good down pressure so I would have to plow the driveway twice if the snow was wet enough. I was told to put tire chains on if I was going to plow, but they were never needed.

Polaris gets my vote!

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all the input folks! Keep it coming!

I tried hard to talk him into the Rhino or equivalent but he is against that. For good reason, he wants something that will fit in the bed of his pickup when he wants to take it somewhere, I can appreciate that.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-20-2006, 11:58 AM

I tried hard to talk him into the Rhino or equivalent but he is against that. For good reason, he wants something that will fit in the bed of his pickup when he wants to take it somewhere, I can appreciate that.
Whooooo, none of these will fit in a "mini" pick up, needs to be fullsized. FYI...

mitch
06-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Based on your plowing snow criteria alone... I would definatley get a liquid cooled machine... Immediately rule out the air cooled machines. Snow can easily get packed into the undercarriage and block airflow to the motor increasing the chance of over-heating. So in a Honda, I would look at the Rubicon. auto, or manual selectable. (manual is pushbutton shift not foot shifted) The BIG honda the Rincon. 650cc. is actually not recommended by honda for towing hauling anything ONLY trail riding. I know a lot of people that use them for plowing and hauling and it definatley can handle it... but Honda actually recommends not to... with the independant rear suspension of the rincon the payload isn't close to the capacity of the rubicon which has a straight rear axle. On the Bombardier note... My brother bought an Outlander XT the 400 last year. plows his driveway like a dream, Independant rear suspension is Awesome for trail riding too, But again, not as big of a payload capacity as a straight axle would be. But it's Automatic, Selectable 4x2, 4x4. Really nice machine.

Heard the pushbutton is a pain w/ winter gloves on, but I can't back that up w/ facts

6ballsisall
06-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Whooooo, none of these will fit in a "mini" pick up, needs to be fullsized. FYI...

He has a 05' 3/4 Ton Dodge Diesel. :wavey: (Shortbed)

mgurley
06-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Go to www.mudanddirt.com and get some opinions...

AZHAWK
06-21-2006, 11:02 AM
jrandol- make sure that he buys something with fuel injection. At that altitude he'll be much happier with it's performance. I was in the ATV biz for 6yrs. and I sold a lot of Utility ATV's. If he likes Honda, I would suggest the Rincon. If he plans on plowing snow, the extra weight and power is a must. Suzuki's new King Quad is a popular choice as well. No matter what he buys, I'm sure he will be pleased. Good Luck!

jimmer2880
06-22-2006, 08:24 PM

The rhino will fit in the bed of a longbed pickup. Shortbed if you put the tailgate down.

Thrall
06-23-2006, 01:30 PM
jrandol,
In my experience living in CO, I would get at least a 500cc machine at the altitudes you're talking (10k ft). Altitude sucks power at about 3% per 1000' rise, so a 40 hp machine will only be a 28-30 hp machine at 10k ft (normally aspirated, no turbo or blower).
Depending where he lives at 10k ft, there may be many storms that a 4 wheeler won't handle unless your dad keeps up w/ it during the storm.
I know a couple people w/ 500 Sportsmans (Polaris) that hav been good machines for utility and 4 wheeling.

erkoehler
06-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Is he putting a blower attachment on it or a plow?

Mikey
06-23-2006, 01:53 PM
The rhino will fit in the bed of a longbed pickup. Shortbed if you put the tailgate down.

I thought so too but I wasnt sure.

6ballsisall
06-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Talked with Pops this morning. He bought an 05' Rincon w/ 650cc fully loaded yesterday. Seems like he got a really good price on it. He picks it up next week and plans to take it right up to their mountain home and get it broke in. Thanks for all the advice and info guys!

mgurley
06-23-2006, 02:17 PM
I think he will like it those things ride super smooth.

6ballsisall
06-23-2006, 02:19 PM
I think he will like it those things ride super smooth.

He is pretty excited. I am excited for him! He's already talking about adding a winch and all kinds of extras. Gotta have the bling I guess. :D

mgurley
06-23-2006, 02:41 PM
He is pretty excited. I am excited for him! He's already talking about adding a winch and all kinds of extras. Gotta have the bling I guess. :D

Cool... :wavey:

chudson
06-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Do you still have to rejet the carbs when goin in th higher altitudes, I know you use to twenty years ago or so?

6ballsisall
06-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Do you still have to rejet the carbs when goin in th higher altitudes, I know you use to twenty years ago or so?

I suppose. He actually hasn't picked it up from the dealership. They are going ahead and putting the plow on it for him as well as rejetting it for 9k-10k range since thats where it will live its life.

erkoehler
06-24-2006, 12:16 AM
I suppose. He actually hasn't picked it up from the dealership. They are going ahead and putting the plow on it for him as well as rejetting it for 9k-10k range since thats where it will live its life.

Do you know how many inches of snow they average up there?

jimmer2880
06-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Great. My buddy has one (the Rincon) - he beats the cr@p out of it & it doesn't even show it. Tough is an understatement. Awesome machine. Actually, it's for sale. Since he bought his Rhino, he never rides the Rincon anymore.

6ballsisall
06-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Do you know how many inches of snow they average up there?

Not a clue really. Not as much as out of staters would tend to believe. Most winters you certainly aren't going to do much sleddin' around there. In fact, you cant. Poor Colorado is turning more arrid each year. I can't say I miss the lack of good water Colorado suffers from.