PDA

View Full Version : Best stuff to clean upholstery, carpet, and hull?

excetara2
06-19-2006, 07:28 PM
I am planning on doing an overhaul this weekend or next. I am wondering the best stuff to clean up the upholstery. Also what to use on the carpet and the hull. I have a power sprayer with a low power nozzle. I am assume that with soap and water might be good for the carpet and the hull. What is good to really clean off the upholstery and protect it also. Thanks a lot. Any help would be great.

tex
06-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Doug........

erkoehler
06-19-2006, 07:33 PM
I am planning on doing an overhaul this weekend or next. I am wondering the best stuff to clean up the upholstery. Also what to use on the carpet and the hull. I have a power sprayer with a low power nozzle. I am assume that with soap and water might be good for the carpet and the hull. What is good to really clean off the upholstery and protect it also. Thanks a lot. Any help would be great.

Be very careful with a power washer on the interior because it will rip right through the vinyl. You can use it on the carpet, just be sure not to hit any of the vinyl in doing so...mix it with a detergent/carpet solvent and you should be good to go.

On the hull, I usually wash with just some car wash soap or dish soap and then follow that up with a couple coats of wax. If the gelcoat is faded, spray and buff it with 303 and then apply a coat of wax.

Is the hull extrememly dirty with anything?

For the interior, I like Zep's Vinyl cleaner followed with a healthy dose of 303.

rodltg2
06-19-2006, 07:39 PM
whats 303? again.... :D

Cloaked
06-19-2006, 07:56 PM
whats 303? again.... :D{{{Sporty shaking his head with a slight grin of doubt for any hope}}} :D

I get yEr drift... ;)

bret
06-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Be careful, as stated, with the pressure washer. You should be ok if you keep it about 8-10 inches away, otherwise, you'll be knocking fibers off. You might actually let one of the carpter cleaning services do the carpet after you finish, have em come to the house and do your boat, should be around $40 and it will look like new - well, if they're around where you live.

I use about a 50/50 split of Wesleys bleach white/water on interior if it is dirty from maintenance. If you get any spots on the interior, try good old Colgate toothpaste with a toothbrush, then just wipe if off with a very wet rag. If it's just dust and stuff, usually just use water and then use Lexol Vinylex for the finish on the interior and dash. My interior is 12 years old and the boat has 518 hours on it. The picture was taken last year but I can assure you it still looks like this. Harold Page and judging crew have given me a couple of ribbons. :)

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/247master2.jpg

TMCNo1
06-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Bret, have you or anyone heard from Richard Bean lately? I have sent him Xmas cards and called him over the years and have not heard from him. One of the last times we saw him or heard from him, he flew in on Sat. morning of the 30th Anniversary Homecoming and Reunion in 1997 @ Vonore, then saw him at the 1998 Mid America Reunion in Hot Springs, when we flew out to do the judging and he has basically disappeared since.

bret
06-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Hello Harold! I saw him about 3 years ago. He and a "crew" of about 6 boats came over to Sandy Beach where we have our slalom course and wake boarded the rest of the day after we were all done with our sets. He was in the Anniversary Edition that the McClosky's bought from Mark Redman, #17 (he took first from me in Dallas :( and I went home with second )...but Richard still had his Anniversay Edition. I think there is another Anniversary Edition over on that side of the lake, so that would make 3 over there but I just don't go over there much anymore - too rough on the weekends. There is an INT event this weekend and we're letting them use our course, who knows, he may show up. I'll be there for the whole thing driving and safety boat, if I see him, I'll tell him to give you a call.

In the past few years, I've been working on all the reunion dates and haven't been able to go. I miss seeing all the boats. Maybe next year I can polish off the brass knob, the brass pylon head, and the brass and chrome trick release :)!

excetara2
06-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Sorry about no response been out of time for a few days.

east tx skier
06-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Brett, quit teasing me with pictures of your boat! ;)

For the carpet, I'm fond of getting a bucket of warm water and mixing a little Tide (no bleach) in with it. With a brush, I work the soapy water into the carpet fibers. Then, because I don't have a power washer, I take it to the DIY carwash and use the rinse setting to wash the soap into the bilge. I use a shop vac to get most of the excess water out of the carpet and then let it dry in the sun.

For upholstery, I use the Tide (no bleach) and water as well. Fantastik and or Magik Eraser for tough spots. Gentle rinse and towel dry. I wouldn't bother with a pressure washer on the vinyl. 303 aerospace protectant (surprise surprise) to seal the deal.

I've been meaning to give Vinylex (is that right) a try since that's apparently what Brett uses (and who can argue with those results).

On the hull, Tide (no bleach) and warm water. Cheap RainX marine wax a few times per season. I may look to upgrade the wax when I run out of what I bought when I bought the boat. But it has done fine for me so far and is plenty shiny.

bret
06-21-2006, 09:17 PM
http://www.lexol.com/vinindex.html

This stuff penetrates a bit, it helps prevent cracking and has UV inhibitors.

east tx skier
06-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, I was close. How 'bout that memory. :)

excetara2
06-23-2006, 01:48 AM
Can you get 303 locally or do you have to order it on the web?

east tx skier
06-23-2006, 01:57 AM
It'll probably have to be a boat or RV place. They don't have it at WalMart, for example. Try West Marine or a tournament boat dealer (MC).

Kevin 89MC
06-23-2006, 11:49 AM
You can also check on line at 303products.com, it appears they sell it at some Ace hardware stores, at least for me. I get mine at West Marine.

excetara2
06-23-2006, 12:32 PM
How much does it usually cost for say the 16oz bottle? Just curious. I am going to stop buy on the way to the lake this weekend. Thanks for the help. Also, would you recommend the cleaner or spot remover to. Or do you only recommmend the protectant from them. Thanks again.

Mikey
06-23-2006, 12:56 PM
How much does it usually cost for say the 16oz bottle? Just curious. I am going to stop buy on the way to the lake this weekend. Thanks for the help. Also, would you recommend the cleaner or spot remover to. Or do you only recommmend the protectant from them. Thanks again.

At the local boat store here they charge about 15 bucks for a bottle. Im not sure how many ounce it was. I think it was more than 16oz.

east tx skier
06-23-2006, 12:56 PM
The two products I've used from them with great success is the protectant and the fabric guard (for waterproofing the cover/bimini). I just saw the cleaner at my local dealer yesterday, but have yet to try it.

For cleaning upholstery, I've not needed more than either soap/water, Fantastik, or Magic Eraser.

erkoehler
06-23-2006, 12:57 PM

Ace Hardware has it.

TMCNo1
06-23-2006, 01:21 PM

We have a local ACE Hardware that carries it, which means they can order it for you if they don't have it on the shelf. Check in the automotive section where the waxes, protectants, car wash soap, oil, grease and window cleaner stuff is.

TMCNo1
06-23-2006, 01:24 PM
I wonder if ACE hardware carries it? I don't know why I replied when so many had said ACE, Oh well, having a senior moment brain fart! Sorry!

"ACE is the place for the helpful hardware man"!

Kevin 89MC
06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
The two products I've used from them with great success is the protectant and the fabric guard (for waterproofing the cover/bimini). I just saw the cleaner at my local dealer yesterday, but have yet to try it.

For cleaning upholstery, I've not needed more than either soap/water, Fantastik, or Magic Eraser.
Yeah, what he said^ :D
The fabric guard is great too. Restored an old cover of mine quite well. I think I pay ~$15 for the 16 oz, ~$26 for the 32 oz. It ain't cheap, but neither are new seats/boat covers!

excetara2
06-23-2006, 09:41 PM
I see that you use cheap rainx marine wax but what wax would you recommend getting. Also how often do you need to wax. Does the wax protect the gel coat. Thanks a lot for the help so far. I will check at the local Ace and hopefully they have it.

east tx skier
06-23-2006, 10:23 PM
That's all I've ever used, but lots of people use Mequire's. It protects the gel coat. I do it about 3x per season or as needed.

bret
06-23-2006, 10:27 PM
a vote for Meguires 3 step process twice a year.
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/247master4.jpg

excetara2
06-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Do you guys apply 303 protectant to everything? Meaning carpet, hull, and upholstery? Or just upholstery? I was reading about people putting it on their hull.

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 02:38 PM
I just do the vinyl and dash with it. The whole me and 303 thing is kind of an old joke. People do put it on the hull though. I just use wax for that.

As for the carpet, I don't see the point. Would just make it slick and dangerous.

excetara2
06-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Using Meguires is it really necessary to do the three step process? Or is it ok to just clean with soap and water and then apply wax? Or use soap and water. Then apply the polish and lastly wax it. Should this be done with any product? Or just MEguiers? I have everything now for the interior but still not sure what to get for the exterior. I know I need wax but besides that not sure what to do before I put on the wax. Is compound necessary or what is that for? Thanks for the clarification tx skier.

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 06:22 PM
The way I understand it, unless you have light scratches or oxidation, don't worry about using a rubbing or polishing compound. Just wash it, dry it, and wax it.

bret
06-28-2006, 07:53 AM
The cleaner part of Meguires is a very light cleaner, similar to the old turtle wax. You know how wax will remove little items in your gel coat...well the cleaner does it almost immediately, that's all. It will remove light oxidation if you have it but not heavy.

I should have taken some pictures yesterday but couldn't find my wifes small Sony:

Three stage wax, polish prop, unload EVERYTHING out of the boat and vaccum the bow, pull motor box and back floor panel to grease steering cable, pivot, and rudder. Change tranny fluid, install new fuel filter, change oil and filter, clean breather, clean windshield with Invisible Glass (great stuff), reinstall most of the gear, put it all back together, vaccum the rest of the boat, and then top it off with Vinylex and polish the pylon. Started around 10 and had the boat back on the lift at 4. Luckily, we had a great breeze yesterday and it wasn't too bad even when the sun hit the last couple of hours.

Scot
06-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Just don't make the same stupid mistake I made on my 86PS190 and use Softscrub... Dang it made the interior white and clean but I was ordering new skins the next season because it dried and cracked everywhere....

skibrink
06-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks to all for the clean up tips and Bret, thanks for the inspiration. Beautiful boat.
(I think I see my Saturday afternoon project. Let the Wallies have the lake.)

I have some light scratches and oxydation on my gel coat, a little more faded on the transom. What's the best way to bring the color back? Do I need an electric polisher to do it right? Do I need to remove the MC decals from the transom? Thanks.

kevinNeal
06-30-2006, 02:45 PM
looks great

east tx skier
06-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks to all for the clean up tips and Bret, thanks for the inspiration. Beautiful boat.

I have some light scratches and oxydation on my gel coat, a little more faded on the transom. What's the best way to bring the color back? Do I need an electric polisher to do it right? Do I need to remove the MC decals from the transom? Thanks.

Rubbing or polishing compound (or both if you start with rubbing). . I think 3M has a kit.

shepherd
10-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Bought my first bottle of 303 protectant at Boater's World last night. Now, what do I do with this stuff??? :confused: :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
10-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Bought my first bottle of 303 protectant at Boater's World last night. Now, what do I do with this stuff??? :confused: :rolleyes:

It's good to fight the discomfort of diarrhea, lubricate muffler bearings and at one time for a protectant on vinyl upholstery, rubber, fiberglass and related items. Now that you have bought some, ETS has found something better!

shepherd
10-06-2006, 10:12 AM
excellent. my muffler bearings were getting a little squeaky. so, until I find out what the new sensation is, I'll use the 303 on my new upholstery. hope it doesn't turn it pink! :o

6ballsisall
10-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Babes Boat products...........there isn't anything even a close 2nd place.

sertmaverick
11-07-2006, 09:41 AM
I have found that anytype of spray "oarnge" cleaner or a solution of 50/50 simple green and water works well. spray the oarnge cleaner or 50/50 solution on your seats and then use a light brissle scrub brush to scrub it up a bit with med. pressure. Then take a moist rag with warm water and wipe it off. I like to use 303 after that to treat and protect the vinyl. As far as the carpets go, I just cleaned mine with the 50/50 solution of simple green and water and saturated my carpets with water and then took a good scrubbin to the carpets with the brush. It takes a while and is a pain; but the carpet looks brand new. After you've got the carpet to suds up a bit, just spray your carpet off with lots of water. I then took a solid straight edge (edge of a clean 2x4 8" long or so) and "squeegeed" my carpet from front to back. Let my boat sit for about 2 days in a warm garage and it looked as good as new. Simple green works great to clean the engine bilge too. Hope it helps.

Evan Jones
11-07-2006, 09:55 AM

I used a electric polisher with rubbing compound, polishing compound, then swirl remover and it got rid of the oxidation nicely. I did not remove the rear decals, they are white with a gray "shadow" effect. The sticker held up fine, but the gray shadow polished off to white.