PDA

View Full Version : Leak from stabilization fins ?

dchatagnon
06-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Hi,

I have noticed a small water leak in the bilge when I'm running > 32 Mph.
Today, I have made a test without the motor box and the rear floor planel, and we noticed some drips that were coming near the bolts of the stabilization fins... Is this can be the issue? Is anyone of you have already noticed that? Do you think it could be also the drain plug?

I have a PSS shaft seal and no water is leaking from it. I have also inspected the muflers/thru-hule exhaust pipes/ speedos lines and all is fine. The drips are coming from the front of the boat.
The boat is seating all the season on the water and there is no water into the bilge after a completely week without running.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Damien

erkoehler
06-19-2006, 03:55 PM
You might just need to redo the silicon caulk around the fittings on the bottom of the boat.

Footin
06-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Good answer......Putz

G-man
06-19-2006, 04:05 PM
If the boat is on a lift put water in the bilge and see where it comes out, might be coming in the drain plug.

Cloaked
06-19-2006, 04:06 PM
You might just need to redo the silicon caulk around the fittings on the bottom of the boat.
I'd agree.

Hope all is well in France... :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

dchatagnon
06-19-2006, 04:33 PM
ok. Thanks. I will redo it this weekend.
Sporty: Yes, all is fine in France! sunny weather and water is at 72 :) Yeah!!
Hope all is good for you too!

TMCNo1
06-19-2006, 04:49 PM
First thing, pull out the plug and wrap a couple times with teflon pipe tape and reinstall. If you are still getting water, check and see if it's dripping from the circulating pump shaft seal.

dchatagnon
06-19-2006, 04:58 PM
I have changed this year both circulation pump and the seal. No leak at all from there.
I will put some teflon tape on the drain plug. Again we really noticed that the water was coming from the bolts of the fins. near the bilg pump and under engine oil pan.

jimmer2880
06-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Have you checked from around the rudder box? I understand that there are o-rings where the rudder shaft comes through the box. Perhaps water is coming in there.

The fins on my boat are further to the front of the boat from the oil pan.

TMCNo1
06-19-2006, 09:28 PM
I have changed this year both circulation pump and the seal. No leak at all from there.
I will put some teflon tape on the drain plug. Again we really noticed that the water was coming from the bolts of the fins. near the bilg pump and under engine oil pan.

If it's coming in from around an bolt for a fin, take the nut off and drive the bolt out with a rubber hammer or plastic mallet and put some silicone in the hole and around the bolt head, re-insert and put the nut back on and tighten and it should seal the bolt.

dchatagnon
06-20-2006, 03:31 AM
Have you checked from around the rudder box? I understand that there are o-rings where the rudder shaft comes through the box. Perhaps water is coming in there.

I have checked also the rudder box. No leak coming up from there. I have put some grease in it with a grease gun 1 month ago.

Cloaked
06-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Have seen this also... water coming in between the hull and the deck near the rear of the boat where a slow speed wake turns out from under the hull.

dchatagnon
06-22-2006, 04:01 AM
Have seen this also... water coming in between the hull and the deck near the rear of the boat where a slow speed wake turns out from under the hull.

I had water coming in from the rear. But this winter I have completely rebuild the rubber line and fixed it. Yesterday, I have tightened a little bit more the bolts of the fins and the leak has disappered. No water at all!! :)

I will redo the silicon gasket for the tracking fins with some 3M 5200.
Thanks for all your answers.

Cloaked
06-25-2006, 03:14 PM
I had water coming in from the rear. But this winter I have completely rebuild the rubber line and fixed it. Yesterday, I have tightened a little bit more the bolts of the fins and the leak has disappered. No water at all!! :)

I will redo the silicon gasket for the tracking fins with some 3M 5200.
Thanks for all your answers.Good deal. You have about covered all of the entry points for water.

There is one other place for remote consideration. The platform brackets that are (poorly) screwed into the transom. Let's not go there just yet but when I had to reconstruct the poorly attached brackets on an old school boat (1985 model) I saw first-handedly how easily water can seep in through that area if not properly attended with sealant.

SkiDog
06-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Sounds to me like you have taken the fins off to polish them! Back in the day, when I had my platinum Prostar, I would take my fins off to polish them and would never resilicone them, consequently, the would leak like a sift! Thats what bilge pumps are for :D

Cloaked
06-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Sounds to me like you have taken the fins off to polish them! Back in the day, when I had my platinum Prostar, I would take my fins off to polish them and would never resilicone them, consequently, the would leak like a sift! Thats what bilge pumps are for :D
You are not right.... LOL... :noface:

dchatagnon
06-26-2006, 06:12 AM
I have removed the three tracking fins, cleaned them and put some sealant and assembly. To do that, I had to remove the Pylon and the plate in order to do the first fin. Clean everything. I had a lot of bad stuff under the plate that hold the pylon. Then wait 24 hours before to go on water. Everything is fine now!! :) I have also rebuilt the sealant around the drain plug. Just to be sure!! ;)
It's an easy job but it took me 4 hours to do it. With 10 minutes break for a beer! :)

This winter I will check the platform brackets and redo it with some new sealant just in case... Anyway, I had a leak only when the boat was running at high speed. And in this case the brackets should be out of water ?? It should leak when the boat is just seating in the water for a long period of time?

Cloaked
06-26-2006, 10:41 AM
I have removed the three tracking fins, cleaned them and put some sealant and assembly. To do that, I had to remove the Pylon and the plate in order to do the first fin. Clean everything. I had a lot of bad stuff under the plate that hold the pylon. Then wait 24 hours before to go on water. Everything is fine now!! :) I have also rebuilt the sealant around the drain plug. Just to be sure!! ;)
It's an easy job but it took me 4 hours to do it. With 10 minutes break for a beer! :)

This winter I will check the platform brackets and redo it with some new sealant just in case... Anyway, I had a leak only when the boat was running at high speed. And in this case the brackets should be out of water ?? It should leak when the boat is just seating in the water for a long period of time?
:friday: Good deal. Enjoy the summer.

dchatagnon
06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks Sporty!!

dchatagnon
06-26-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm back with my issue.... This afternoon, I took the boat and I still get some water into the bilge when I'm running > 35MPH for 5 minutes. It's not a big leak. and the water generally seats under the transmission when I stop the boat. I noticed it because we went slalom.

As I have completely rebuild:
-the silicone of the tracking fins.
-inspect the dripless shaft seal PSS when running at this speed.
-Fixed the rear rub rail.
-re-silicone both exhaust (trhu hull) pipes and speedo lines
...... I don't know where It could leak!

The water is just coming when the boat is running at high speed.
No water at wakeboard speed.

Could be one of the two silent master or an exhaust thrul hull?
I have checked also all the water hoses of the boat.

this is just starting to drive me crazy! :(

dchatagnon
06-28-2006, 05:13 AM
Ok. After one hour inspection without the motorbox and floor panel we found it!
In fact, I have one cylinder head cracked and it will leak when running > 3000 RPM...
:( :(
I have ordered some new GT40 heads from DIM and will change both. Do you have some instructions for this kind of job? What should be the torque for the BOLT-HEADS?

Thanks.

chudson
07-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Call or email DIM, they could probabally answer your question.