PDA

View Full Version : amazing number of problems for the best of the best

dfarmer
06-19-2006, 12:45 PM
My 2001 205V has spent way too much time at my dealer, chasing numerous electrical and mechanical ghosts, while the summer passes us by again.
Not to break the Mastercraft Code of Honor, but this is B***S***.
I did'nt buy the Mastercraft new , the supposed top of the line, to go through this.
Look at the incredible number of posts just on this board, I am sure there are thousands of other problems out there not seen here.

rodltg2
06-19-2006, 12:49 PM
its going to be a long ugly day here at tt..

ntidsl
06-19-2006, 12:51 PM
what the hell is going on????????????

everyone is off the water!!!

rod I think it was you..."warranties dont keep us on the water"

tex
06-19-2006, 01:02 PM
I bought a new 197 in 2002. I hate the trailer(no theadjack), but I love the boat and my dealer(Texas Mastercraft).

River Rat
06-19-2006, 01:11 PM
My 98 has been great!!!!! :steering: Luv my MC

PerryBpilot
06-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Sorry you are having issues, I love my MariStar. Its the best boat I have ever owned!!!!!
Formers were SeaRay, Nautique, Ski Supreme, I had more problems from each of those than with my MC.
Keep the faith, MasterCraft is a way of life everything else is just a boat!!!
8p

Ric
06-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Ric Luvs his 197....... Like Tex, I hate my trailer but luuuuuv my 197!!

stumbledog
06-20-2006, 12:23 AM
My 2001 205V has spent way too much time at my dealer, chasing numerous electrical and mechanical ghosts, while the summer passes us by again.
Not to break the Mastercraft Code of Honor, but this is B***S***.
I did'nt buy the Mastercraft new , the supposed top of the line, to go through this.
Look at the incredible number of posts just on this board, I am sure there are thousands of other problems out there not seen here.

Boats require love and attention to stay in top running order. Not sure what your problems are, but I am sure the fine people here would be happy to help.

I bought my boat used, and it had not been properly loved. I seem to be running into minor little problems every other time out. These problems are mainly due to the lack of attention it received.

ntidsl
06-20-2006, 09:06 AM
there are boats out there where people don't even change the oil and they still run...theres no rhyme or reason...just get it running and sell it...get rid of it...I have my dream boat...the boat I wanted since I was a

Diesel on the site here told me...its just a boat...forget about it...I'm trying to...

Boats weigh on me too much, they aren't worth the aggravation...I've had this boat since february, put 10 hours on it.

airwear
06-20-2006, 09:58 AM
I am sorry you guys are having boat trouble. I am also grounded these days, however, not because of boat problems, water problems. The lake we are on is dammed at both ends and the ministry controls the water level. For some reason they have the water level down close to 2 feet right now. I am in a shallow bay, so unfortunately 2 feet of water makes a huge difference. I need 1 foot more of water and I can get my boat on the lift. I constantly complain and each week I get the same story that they are adding more water the following week. So far, no more water!

So yes, I am grounded too, but with time on my hands, my boat, 2000 Prostar 195, has been getting alot of cleaning, waxing, and 303 attention.

JimN
06-20-2006, 10:11 AM
dfarmer- what are the problems and what has the dealer (or whoever is working on it) done to fix them?

ntidsl
06-20-2006, 10:11 AM
bummer man...maybe we should have a MC golf outing one day

dfarmer
06-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Jim,
After extended low speed operation, no wake zones for example,
I get a shutdown. Will sometimes restart after 20 minutes or so.
Sometimes I end up towed in.
Houston dealer can find nothing wrong.
Appreciate any help you can offer,
Thanks
Don

JimN
06-21-2006, 05:21 PM
If it won't start, either it has no fuel or no spark. If they can't find something wrong, they're not looking in the right places. The only thing needed for a motor to run, other than fuel and spark, is compression and I doubt that you have a total loss of that. Beyond these, it could be something in the tank that clogs the filter and goes away after sitting (doubtful), something electrical (very likely) or mechanical (possible but not many things on a boat will be mechanically intermittent).

My guess is a loose connection, terminal, plug, etc. If they can get the boat when it's not starting, it should be relatively easy to trace the problem.

rodltg2
06-21-2006, 05:34 PM
what about a loose harness on the fuel pump?

JimN
06-21-2006, 05:50 PM
That would fall under what I listed but yes, it's possible. If a dealer can't find a loose connector, a bad terminal or bad wire, they need training. It's not very hard.

When I was in Indiana for On Water Advanced Diagnostics, they created problems for us to find and repair so we all had "cranks but no fire" and each group worked on a different boat. The first part of the class dealt with things that could come up occasionally. The later parts of the class dealt with the oddball stuff. If we found a problem, we asked for the parts (if needed) and if we gave them the wrong reason for needing them, they told us the parts were out of stock and we needed to come back with the right answer. It was assumed that we could all find bad injectors, pumps and starters so they didn't bother with them. Bad harnesses, terminals, wires, sendors, relays, switches etc were the ones that they expected to see over the long haul.

All of the problems they gave us were from past experiences of dealers who couldn't find the problems. All of the problems were very repairable, it's just a matter of knowing what to look for and where to look. Just like with cars, the most common problems are now electrical and if a dealer doesn't have anyone who knows about vehical electronic systems, they're gonna be screwed.

dfarmer
06-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks Jim,
I'll point them in that direction
Don