PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Honda Dream 305 (Value)

PendO
06-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Okay, at a party and a guy wants to sell a 1964 Honda Dream 305 (immaculate condition) for $3500 bucks, anyone have any info on the pricing?

Bike looks like the one in the picture ... my dad said he learned to ride on one so that is why it is interesting.

Steve, I know if you were here you could tell me if this was a good deal:)

Cloaked
06-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Okay, at a party and a guy wants to sell a 1964 Honda Dream 305 (immaculate condition) for $3500 bucks, anyone have any info on the pricing?

Bike looks like the one in the picture ... my dad said he learned to ride on one so that is why it is interesting.

I have a fairly good idea but anything is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. This is a somewhat of a rare bike although it's nothing special by any definition that I am aware of.

Me? I'd ponder the idea of $1500 - $2000 at most. I have seen them on scam-bay for more and for less. The 1963 model is somewhat in demand among collectors but again, nothing special other than mostly sentimental value (IMHO). There's really nothing to make this bike appreciate in value.

And actually that appears to be a 300 Dream. The 305 was in a Super Hawk model with different gearing, if I recall correctly.

Maristar may be able to also shed a little light.

Thirty-five hundred is a little steep but it's all in what someone is willing to pay.

PendO
06-17-2006, 08:18 PM
I have a fairly good idea but anything is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. This is a somewhat of a rare bike although it's nothing special by any definition that I am aware of.

Me? I'd ponder the idea of $1500 - $2000 at most. I have seen them on scam-bay for more and for less. The 1963 model is somewhat in demand among collectors but again, nothing special other than mostly sentimental value (IMHO). There's really nothing to make this bike appreciate in value.

And actually that appears to be a 300 Dream. The 305 was in a Super Hawk model with different gearing, if I recall correctly.

Maristar may be able to also shed a little light.

Thirty-five hundred is a little steep but it's all in what someone is willing to pay.

Thanks sporty, this is the way he has it listed online:

For Sale - 1964, 305 Honda Dream CA77

Black, mint condition, exact replica of Elivis Presley's motor bike at Graceland, 7,200 miles, in running condition., Spokane Valley, Wa 99216 Respond to this ad 6/8/2005

ski_king
06-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Got nuthing for you but this web site.
http://www.honda305.com/

There was a time when I would have given my right *** for a 305 scrambler.

Footin
06-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I have always liked the Honda Dream, a true classic; but 3,500 seems pretty high.

Cloaked
06-17-2006, 09:01 PM
IIRC, the Dream and the Super Hawk were two different models. The Dream sported a 300 cc (289cc actually) where the 305 was a hotter engine, for whatever reasons.

The site that Ski King linked may have info to correct me, but I'm too lazy to read up on it.

Nonetheless, it's a very nice looking clean machine.

I think $3500 may be a collective asking price among the proud (collective) owners of this bike but it's all in what someone else will pay. Personally, two Gs is all I'd want to fork over.

Hoosier Bob
06-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Honda 305 Superhawk. 1964 and I think the one pictured is a Superhawk/Dream. I'll bet he gets it but I could be wrong. Very collectable piece IMO. ;)

Hoosier Bob
06-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Looks like restore $1200-1500 and complete and near perfection $2900-???? I have a Honda Dream for a few $$more! :confused:

PendO
06-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey HB, how was your saturday ... we were at my bro's graduation party and his wife's grandfather is the one who owns the bike... he bought it used a few years ago and drove it home, and has let it sit in the garage for the last few years ... I think my dad will end up with it, I have done some research now that I am home and I guess the 300/305 is more a badging thing as the model # is a CA77 ... my dad has been talking about this bike for a while now since it was the first bike he remembers riding on in the 60's... I used the link that Ski_King posted and have been doing some research. Thanks Ski_King

Thanks fellas for the input and links:) $3500 seems a bit steep, but I guess they are all of varying quality and roadworthyness. If this one is truly as immaculate as he says with 7200 miles it may be a good sunny weather rider and collectible.

My wife would kick my butt if I bought this thing, I am only tasked with research and then my mom can sort it out with my dad:)

PendO
06-17-2006, 10:31 PM
nice ride HB:) Very nice!

Hoosier Bob
06-17-2006, 10:31 PM
$3500 may be steep but think of what else you could buy for $3500 that the ole man would enjoy as much. I think you should try to get a deal but an original owner Superhawk would to me be an amazing find and what's the best you'll find one for $2,500? Offer what ever but I don't think I would let it get away. I am sure you can ride it too when you know who is not around! ;)

PendO
06-17-2006, 10:37 PM
$3500 may be steep but think of what else you could buy for $3500 that the ole man would enjoy as much. I think you should try to get a deal but an original owner Superhawk would to me be an amazing find and what's the best you'll find one for $2,500? Offer what ever but I don't think I would let it get away. I am sure you can ride it too when you know who is not around! ;)

Yeah, we share toys in my family pretty well so I am sure he will let me ride it if he gets it ... this was my bro's graduation gift today ... he about had a heart attack, pretty pumped up:)

Hoosier Bob
06-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Very cool, Is that a safety on the grip? Palm safety? :confused:
Does the grip safety work on conjuction with the split trigger? I have a few semi autos and have never seen that. We have a "SNIPE" problem here in Indiana as well!

PendO
06-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Very cool, Is that a safety on the grip? Palm safety? :confused:
Does the grip safety work on conjuction with the split trigger? I have a few semi autos and have never seen that. We have a "SNIPE" problem here in Indiana as well!

yeah, the grip safety and trigger safety work in tandem ... different than my glock ... I can't remember what I got for graduation from my folks, but I'm sure he will remember:)

Hoosier Bob
06-17-2006, 11:01 PM
That is the first time I have seen that! Very cool but one of those gifts you will want to use! I can go to the farm or a range but not much opportunity.
Take care

mbeach
06-17-2006, 11:32 PM
i agree that the $$ seems a bit high. rode a 305 scrambler for years and found it to be a tough bike and easy to work on. the super hawk also had the 305 engine but like another poster mentioned different gearing and suspension from the dream. by the way, paid $1,700 for the scrambler in 66.

Maristar210
06-18-2006, 04:19 PM

Hey Pendo,

Just got back from a overnighter at a friends cottage.

$3500 is beyond top dollar for that bike. It would be worth $2500 to me only if it were completely spotless and completely original. When I mean spotless I me ZERO imperfections such as any pitting on the chrome and chipping on the paint, any oxidation on the motor etc. If I see any of that stuff anywhere on a bike it is not "showroom". Lots of people call me and say thier bike is perfect and when I get there it is nice but far from perfect. This bike has zero sentimental value for me so I would only buy it to peel it on e-Bay. A more realistice price would be in the $1800-$2400 range. If you did not really want it, I'd pass as they are not a highly collectible bike IMHO. How about a nice 69 Honda Sandcast 750? They are collectible :eek: Like $20k....

Good luck...

Steve