PDA

View Full Version : Center walk through is loose

Crash
06-17-2006, 01:41 AM
The drivers side of the center walk through is loose and vibrates with each wave. I believe it is screwed into the floor in between the carpeted wall and the vinyl side, but I don't know how to disassemble it... I'm affraid to force the sides appart without talking to TT. Any suggestions? Anyone ever do this before?

east tx skier
06-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Don't force it. It is screwed in there or attached with some sort of plastic clips. The good news is that, apparently, the right side is much easier to get to the fasteners than the left side.

Ben
06-26-2006, 01:06 PM
I've not taken that piece off for any reason (yet), but what I do know is (at least for my '94 205):

Open bow sides are held on with the little plastic retainers that press into a hole, kinda like the things they used to use to hold bedliners in, or also similar to some automotive door panel applications.

Sides by the engine are held in by bolts accessible from the storage pockets, I think 1/4", not sure.

I recently replaced 1/2 of my window hinge and in that process learned that the bolts to the aluminum angle support bracket on the passenger side that is behind the carpet under the seat were loose (understand all that?) I think this is exposed more on the drivers side. You may want to check that on both sides while you're in the area.

The panels you ask about are probably attached by one of the 2 methods above, I can't remember if I saw bolts on the inside or not. I'd do a pretty good look-see before doing any prying... If no bolts are visibile, pry carefully.

Crash
07-14-2006, 12:33 AM
won't be able to get on the water this weekend, so my plan is to try and fix this over the weekend. Any other experiences before I try prying (specifically on the drivers side). I'll take pictures as I go along.

Crash
07-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Finally got to work on this project. Started on the drivers side. Very loose dashboard and I knew the walk way was loose. So I took the 'kick plate' off the foot well to view the metal brace, which I learned the screws on the metal brace were completely loose and in some cases broken off and missing!! Put new screws in and did the same on the passenger side (spotters side) just to find the same situation! Missing and loose screws. Here's the pictures.

Crash
07-30-2006, 12:22 AM
The two panels are held together by christmas trees. Simply insert screwdriver and gently pry apart. The screws into the floor were completely loose. I drilled new holes for the screws and put the panels back together. Now it should be as solid as a tank!

xsvfooter
08-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Careful with screw holes. I've always heard there was no wood on an MC, but that's not correct. I have a 1990 TriStar and the floor panels that are removeable (in the Center) are fiberglass coated balsa. When I replaced my carpet, all spots that had screws that went into the panels were rotted under the fiberglass. I had to cut through the fiberglass from the botton of the panel and grind out the soft wood and fiberglass until I hit dry balsa. I never cut all the way through, leaving the top gelcoat/fiberglass layer intact. Then I filled in the gaps (some as large as 6 inches with fiberglass and cloth.

The Tristar does not have those metal braces. They look like a great idea to stiffen up the dash area.