PDA

View Full Version : Teak Surfing

Platprostar
06-16-2006, 03:14 PM
I opened up my local paper here in Sacramento this morning to find a big story on teak surfing. Apparently a family lost their 11 yr old son three years ago on Folsom lake. The boy was teak surfing and was not wearing a life jacket. He was breathing the carbon monoxide and disappeared into the lake. The parents of this boy have sued Calabria and received around 1 million, and they are still going after the boat manufacturers to reduce emissions. He states "Its me against the boating industry." Now don't get me wrong here I commend the man and his family in there quest to raise awareness about teak surfing as well as all the dangers in boating but he seems to be blaming everyone else for a tragic accident that could have been avoided if (not sure if he was on the boat but you have to think an adult was) they would have used commen sense. Why was that kid hanging on the swim deck in the first place and without a life jacket. California law requires all children under the age of twelve to wear a life jacket. Does anyone out their run their engine when someone is hanging on the swim deck? I have a 1988 prostar and even back then they put warning labels on the back of the boats. I sure the newer boats have it plastered all over.

Again- I think its great that he is trying to raise awareness. There are a lot of people that need it. I just don't like the fact that he continually blames the boat industry.

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Probably the same lawyer that helped the lady sue Mcdonalds for the hot coffee......

Ambulance chasers.

In all seriousness it's extremely unfortunate and sad that this child passed while teak surfing. However, where do the parents take ownership letting him out there without a vest and secondly, breathe in the fumes when you know thats right where the come out??? I've sat on my back platform getting my ski on while the boat is idling and at times it can give you a little buzz. Common sense people!!!!

erkoehler
06-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Has anyone ever done it? What's the point?

PendO
06-16-2006, 03:26 PM
I opened up my local paper here in Sacramento this morning to find a big story on teak surfing. Apparently a family lost their 11 yr old son three years ago on Folsom lake. The boy was teak surfing and was not wearing a life jacket. He was breathing the carbon monoxide and disappeared into the lake. The parents of this boy have sued Calabria and received around 1 million, and they are still going after the boat manufacturers to reduce emissions. He states "Its me against the boating industry." Now don't get me wrong here I commend the man and his family in there quest to raise awareness about teak surfing as well as all the dangers in boating but he seems to be blaming everyone else for a tragic accident that could have been avoided if (not sure if he was on the boat but you have to think an adult was) they would have used commen sense. Why was that kid hanging on the swim deck in the first place and without a life jacket. California law requires all children under the age of twelve to wear a life jacket. Does anyone out their run their engine when someone is hanging on the swim deck? I have a 1988 prostar and even back then they put warning labels on the back of the boats. I sure the newer boats have it plastered all over.

Again- I think its great that he is trying to raise awareness. There are a lot of people that need it. I just don't like the fact that he continually blames the boat industry.

No life jacket = stupid parents
1 million = california courts

had the kid had a life jacket he would have passed out, let go of the teak, and then stayed floating ... he would not have died!

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 03:28 PM
And we wonder why boats cost so much..........

PRODUCT LIABILITY INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

PendO
06-16-2006, 03:29 PM
p.s. - don't blame the lawyer, its the judge or jury who determine the $$

rodltg2
06-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Has anyone ever done it? What's the point?

the point like all other watersports is that its fun... not to me ,, but some may find it fun..

i dont see how costing calabria 1million is going to do any good. its not going to bring that kid back or bring awareness. if he really wants to raise awareness he better use that money to make signs , radio ads or something..

erkoehler
06-16-2006, 03:34 PM
But your basically just dragging in the water, right? Why not just do it off a boom?

jeverett
06-16-2006, 03:35 PM
I think the State of California should now give the boat owner a million dollar ticket for being stupid!

PendO
06-16-2006, 03:35 PM
But your basically just dragging in the water, right? Why not just do it off a boom?

stupid parents .......................

PendO
06-16-2006, 03:36 PM
I think the State of California should now give the boat owner a million dollar ticket for being stupid!

Hey now, it's not like Oregon is much better:) But yes, 1 million for Stupid Parents would be great, 1 million or we confiscate the boat:)

rodltg2
06-16-2006, 03:37 PM
i see it as no different than skatboarding holding on to a car bumper.
so if i do that can i sue chevy for no sticker on the bumper telling me not to do that?

sanjuan23
06-16-2006, 03:40 PM
I dont blame the lawyers, but the Judges and Juries that award these ridiculious punitive damages. Yes a tragedy at any level. But again at what point do we have to turn and look at common sense. I am sick and tired of this.

Plantiff.. "I broke my leg as I jumped off the trampoline. I did not realize that there was some sort of inherent risk with Jumping 12 ft. in the air and landing on hard ground." Jury... "Heres your check now go buy something you can do something really stupid on."

I am tired of the stupid people in this world getting paid.

Leroy
06-16-2006, 03:44 PM
It's our stupid legal system protecting stupid people.... When we lived in Belgium they were always asking, so someone took hot coffee to drink in their car (they already don't understand that concept of eating and driving) and then put it between their legs and when they got burned they get >$1M for damages....

I saw it for the first time on my lake week ago, 3 kids hanging on the back end of the teak platform. They at least had lifejackets on.
I do think lower emissions would be better. No need to sit around in toxic fumes.

jbfootin
06-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Boat manufacturers should sue them for being stupid parents and giving watersports a black eye! I have 3 children and would be devistated if anything happened to them. I know it is a hard time for the family, but don't start blaming and suing others for an accident that was your own fault.

The truth hurts!

sanjuan23
06-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Regardless of what type of emissions controls are put on future engines/boats it is not going to make Carbon Monoxide/Dioxide (cant remember) go away. It's all about personal responsibilty!!

Platprostar
06-16-2006, 03:54 PM
It does say in the article that he is intending to use his settlement money to continue his crusade warning people. He has paid for a billboard on one of the routes to Folsom telling them to go to a website www.skiboatdeaths.com and warns "Twenty Dead and counting. IT CAN STOP" I just went to the site and it does state that the father was driving the boat and that his kids had teak surfed at leat a 150 times.

He states that he was part of nitiating and passing a California Law requiring CO warnings be placed on ski boats. Like I said before, my 88 had those stickers on it. Was Mastercraft the only one to do so?

X2M
06-16-2006, 03:55 PM
the point like all other watersports is that its fun... not to me ,, but some may find it fun..

i dont see how costing calabria 1million is going to do any good. its not going to bring that kid back or bring awareness. if he really wants to raise awareness he better use that money to make signs , radio ads or something..

He is using some of his money for that. There are a few billboards up in the Sacramento area and he has a web site up http://www.skiboatdeaths.com/. He and his wife did an interview on the news last night about it too.

Danimal
06-16-2006, 03:59 PM
I see that he is using a MasterCraft as a graphic with the CO2 levels notated. If I was MasterCraft I would have them pull the off IMMEDIATELY!!!

From their website-yet they sued Calabria NOT MasterCraft

http://www.skiboatdeaths.com/images/COppmpic_1.gif

Platprostar
06-16-2006, 04:00 PM
I apologize, It was not his boat. It was some friends.

oxberger
06-16-2006, 04:02 PM
I have to say, teak suffering may be fun, but the dangers outwiegh the fun. When I was younger and tried it with my dad around, I got the yelling of a lifetime and one of many safety talks.

rodltg2
06-16-2006, 04:09 PM
the website makes it sound like the carbon monoxide killed him. imbw but didnt he die friom drowning becuase he passed out from the carbon monoxide and wasnt wearing a life jacket..

Leroy
06-16-2006, 04:15 PM
There continues to be improvements in technology that lower emissions like CO, boats do not even have catalytic converters yet.http://www.nsc.org/ehc/mobile/mse_fs.htm not boat specific.

M-Funf
Sorry, this is just Darwin at work...

I posted a while back about the decals that DMV sent to me with my registration. On the back of the decals, it said that CA law required that the labels be placed on the boat:

This one on the dash:
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/medium/CO2_warning.JPG

And this one on the transom:
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/medium/CO2_warning_2.JPG

I'm not putting them on...

Platprostar
the website makes it sound like the carbon monoxide killed him. imbw but didnt he die friom drowning becuase he passed out from the carbon monoxide and wasnt wearing a life jacket..
EXACTLY!!!!

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 04:25 PM
I too noticed no comments about his son not being in a lifejacket........

I commend him for doing something with the $$ but it's irratating to see him blame the industry and the manufacturers for what was clearly no one elses fault but his own.
The comments about emmissions equip. helping out with CO levels is BS. You go keep your nose next to a tailpipe of any brand new car for a few minutes and tell me it won't kill you...........

starman205
06-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Last year when I got my 93' 205 back from the dealer after some servicing, I noticed that they had placed a warning label on the transom regarding teak surfing. Not sure if it is MN law, but it is interesting that they went ahead and did this. Not to negate this family's loss, but to me teak surfing ranks right up there with using a power lawn mower to trim a hedge, IMHO.

Platprostar
06-16-2006, 04:34 PM
I too noticed no comments about his son not being in a lifejacket........

I commend him for doing something with the $$ but it's irratating to see him blame the industry and the manufacturers for what was clearly no one elses fault but his own.
The comments about emmissions equip. helping out with CO levels is BS. You go keep your nose next to a tailpipe of any brand new car for a few minutes and tell me it won't kill you...........
Did you see this quote on his site?

"Never did it even cross my mind that the killer could be carbon monoxide being emitted from the boat's exhaust ports. I have since learned that this boat emitted it's exhaust right under the swim platform"

Now you would think that if he and his kids had teak surfed over 150 times he may know a little about boats. What did he think those two ports were for? Jet propulsion.

Danimal
06-16-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm sorry... but this guy is a charlatan with misplaced anger. He is most likely filled with guilt and to make himself feel less responsible he is sueing. It is sad that his son has died but a responsible adult would not let his 11 year old teak surf let alone without a life jacket. I'm sorry If I come off as crass but this is the type of stupidity that gets my blood boiling.

M-Funf
06-16-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm sorry... but this guy is a charlatan with misplaced anger. He is most likely filled with guilt and to make himself feel less responsible he is sueing. It is sad that his son has died but a responsible adult would not let his 11 year old teak surf let alone without a life jacket. I'm sorry If I come off as crass but this is the type of stupidity that gets my blood boiling.

Not crass at all. I think you've hit the nail directly on the head...

I went to his website, and it took all my strength to NOT send this guy an E-Mail telling him that...well, you get the idea.... :rant:

yzwiley
06-16-2006, 04:58 PM
I meet this guy last weekend while I was gassing up my boat at Costco. Nice guy, but I disagree with him suing a boat manufacturer. It's all going to cost us, the consumer, more in the end and only put more money in his pocket. BTW, he was driving a huge new motorhome.

Seems he should have simply read about boating safety long ago. As too he should bone up to the fact that he's the negligent one and not the industry.

Mag_Red
06-16-2006, 05:05 PM
:rolleyes: I'm speechless. When do we start talking responsibility for our actions? It's the parents/ kids fault! Pure and simple. End of discussion! Next Case................ :wavey:

maristarman
06-16-2006, 05:52 PM
In California anyone under 13 is REQUIRED to be wearing a life jacket at all times, not just when engaging in watersports.

Tell me again how its the boat manufacturers fault for this guy, (who has boated dozes of times? (he said they had teak surfed "At least 150 times before")) not following the law and making his son wear a life jacket.

Or was he wearing one and was that defective also?

I feel terrible that he lost his son, but I think he may be a bit blinded by his anquish.

rodltg2
06-16-2006, 06:05 PM
maybe he should be fined for the 150 times then....

Mag_Red
06-16-2006, 06:09 PM
There will be no teak surfing at Mag Mania :D Although drinking and Surfing will be allowed :headbang:

WakePowell
06-16-2006, 10:39 PM
It is sad that our legal system would let a lawsuit like this be filed. Even if the boat manufacture is found not at fault they still bear the cost of defending themselves. There should be a system in place that would require that the plaintiff pay all of the defenses legal expense should they be found not liable. That would make people think prior to pursuing these types of lawsuits.

Footin
06-16-2006, 10:41 PM
There will be no teak surfing at Mag Mania :D Although drinking and Surfing will be allowed :headbang:

And highly recomended

BriEOD
06-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah that sucks, but I don't see how that is the boat manufacturer's fault.

Thrall
06-19-2006, 01:24 PM
I concur w/ everyone responses here.
2yrs ago, had my boat in at AZ Mastercraft and when I got it back, they had added 2 stickers to the transom for CO poisoning, etc.
Promplty peeled them offand waxed again. I had just replaced all my decals and for obvious reasons, didn't replace the safety stickers on the back (common sense stuff to me).
I asked the dlr and they said they were reqd to add/repalce all safety stickers when the boat's in their shop.

jimmer2880
06-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah that sucks, but I don't see how that is the boat manufacturer's fault.

Just like it's the gun manufacturers fault that their product kills people (duh - that's what it's designed to do).