PDA

View Full Version : Orange Spots!

bcampbe7
06-16-2006, 01:40 PM
I have 2 very small orange spots that have appeared on my sunpad.
I am not sure what they are. Anyone have any ideas??? Fungus???

I do know they are not wanting to come out.

Things I have tried thus far:
-Magic eraser
-Fantastik with rag
-MasterCraft foam interior cleaner with rag
-MasterCraft foam interior cleaner with brash brush (very light scrubbing)
-303 vinyl cleaner with rag
-303 vinyl cleaner with brass brush (very light scrubbing)

Anyone have any other ideas other than replacing the vinyl?

I may try simple green next or some type mold and mildew cleaner.

My boat is stored in my garage and is only outside for it's cleaning and to hit the lake.

The spots are not bad and you probably wouldn't see them unless I pointed them out, but I am a bit particular about the boat and it's cleanliness. :)

erkoehler
06-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Zep Cleaner :)
or
Babe's seat soap

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Zep cleaner won't do it Erk, you know that.......

I am tempted to try Babes myself to clear up the same issue.
I did have success fading the orange with Simple Green but can't make it dissapear.

erkoehler
06-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Sorry, I forgot we tried it on your boat :(

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Sorry, I forgot we tried it on your boat :(

Short term memory of a boat sales man :rolleyes:

MarkP
06-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Short term memory of a boat sales man :rolleyes:Nah,

He was ho-in;)

rodltg2
06-16-2006, 02:04 PM
mildew remover has worked for me in the past on removing all stains..
just make sure to thoroughly wash it off and immediatley drench, soak, smother with 303..

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Nah,

He was ho-in;)

Your right Mark!

Sales are dry for Erk so the Boat Pimp has had to resort to being the Hoe himself!!! :woohoo:

86Craft
06-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Anybody know what the spots are and what cause it?

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 02:14 PM

I do believe it is some type of mold. How it gets there is beyond me.....

I also have these damn bugs that when trailering have hit and smashed on the vinyl. They too leave an orange type substance that is a biatch to get off...

bcampbe7
06-16-2006, 02:17 PM
I was thinking it may be some sort of bug crap or something. :confused:

BeavenX5
06-16-2006, 02:28 PM

I have two of them also that were there when I bough the boat, one more orange and one defenately pink :eek3:.

There is a lot that was discussed about the pink seats and I fear there is noting to do about it. It is a microscopic bacteria in the seat feeding itself with mold and dirt. I tried everything I could think of to get these stains removed but could only fade them a little. At least I don't have more of them since the seats are treated with 3M / 303 every 2-3 weeks.
I think I remember pink seats being a problem more frequent with the white interiors of 1999-2000-2001.
Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

X2M
06-16-2006, 02:48 PM
I have 2 very small orange spots that have appeared on my sunpad.

How small is very small? Pencil lead size or eraser?

Leroy
06-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Nector from the Big Orange Volunteers. Removing anything orange in TN is probably a felony 8p

east tx skier
06-16-2006, 03:03 PM
How 'bout a pressure washer.

I'm half kidding. But there's not much a high end pressure wash won't remove. Of course, you want to avoid removing the vinyl itself. That'd be my concern.

I hear that starbrite vinyl cleaner can work wonders.

X2M
06-16-2006, 03:09 PM
How small is very small? Pencil lead size or eraser?

If the spots are pencil lead size they are probably spider poop. There is an enzime in the poop that stains the vinyl.
From personal experience I am sorry to have to tell you that nothing will get it out. I have tried everything to get it out of mine.

Be thankful that you only have 2 spots. Every piece of vinyl in my boat has at least 2 spots ...some have 10.
:( :( :(

rodltg2
06-16-2006, 03:12 PM
maybe you should feed your spiders less... :D

east tx skier
06-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Or boat break it. ;)

X2M
06-16-2006, 03:17 PM
maybe you should feed your spiders less... :D

Thanks for the tip Rod, I'll remember that the next time I put the food out. :rolleyes:

Eastie - Boat break it???

vogelm1
06-16-2006, 03:21 PM
I would try Vinyl Finish vinyl cleaner, however some of the other products you tried might be equivalent. My 2005 owners manual says for ink, permanent marker, eyeshadow, etc to use straight denatured alcohol/rinse/wipe dry. This was to be used for the most stubborn stuff and seemed to be the "last resort".

There is also a formula they give of 1 tablespoon ammonia, 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide, 3/4 cup water mixed together...apply, rinse with water and dry; this was for the less stubborn stuff like wet leaf stain, mustard, etc.

Hopefully these might help. I've found too that if I really try hard to get a stain out, then leave the boat out in the sun for a couple days, the spot "fades" and disappears...may not in your case but good luck.

east tx skier
06-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Like house breaking, but in a boat. Put newspaper down and watch the spider. When he gets that eminant poop look about him, carry him to the newspaper. Eventually, he'll go on the newspaper. Soon thereafter, you can remove the newspaper and he'll wait until you let him out.

:)

X2M
06-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Like house breaking, but in a boat. Put newspaper down and watch the spider. When he gets that eminant poop look about him, carry him to the newspaper. Eventually, he'll go on the newspaper. Soon thereafter, you can remove the newspaper and he'll wait until you let him out.

:)

Oh...ok. Thanks for the clarification. Feeling like I should be a blonde now... :o

bcampbe7
06-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the advice.

They are faded pretty good now, but I just want them gone.

bret
06-16-2006, 07:40 PM
You might try toothpaste or a light amount of Comet, use plenty of water with both, an old toothbrush is excellent to clean with, then clean this with a very wet cloth, then wipe it dry. good luck. It's probably spider $hit, which has a whole lot of stain in it, usually very small brown or orange spots.

east tx skier
06-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Bret, any advice for the yellowing common around the heat stamps? Do you have a favorite toothpaste to use on seats?

stevo137
06-17-2006, 12:50 PM
I didn't read all of this. Did you try diluted bleach yet?

east tx skier
06-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Be very carful with bleach. It eats the thread. I avoid it altogether.

stevo137
06-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Be very carful with bleach. It eats the thread. I avoid it altogether.

Yes, you do need to be careful but if nothing else works I don't think that it will harm the fabric.
Starbrite also makes a product that has bleach in it for mold removal but I think it is just diluted bleach.

bret
06-17-2006, 01:37 PM
:) My favorite toothpaste is not the one I like for interior spots!! :)

Actually, I've found just plain old cheap Colgate works best on spots.

The yellowing around the design stamp, the only thing I've found that helped was
Wesleys Bleach White, followed up with plenty of water and Lexol Vinylex.

ScottLea
10-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Ya might try Pink-Away. If the spots are that mold or bacteria that makes stains that you can't get out. I used it on pink stains that nothing else could get out of my white vinyl seats - worked really well. www.pink-away.com

Barefooter92
10-02-2013, 07:23 AM
Insect scat. I had them all summer it is nasty stuff. Don't smear it, if you already did use the majic eraser.

neil.anderson63
10-02-2013, 11:58 AM
X's 2 on Barefooter - I've used Barkeepers Friend with lots of luck. I made a Horrible mistake a few summers ago and left the X9 out uncovered under the trees... DUMMY! The whole interior was covered with spider scat. I about scat myself the next morning when I realized I left the cover off. Hosed everything off and used the Barkeepers Friend with positive results.