PDA

View Full Version : Trek v. Specialized (hardtail mnt bike)

PendO
06-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Well, there are a lot of mountain bikes out there ... gonna get my wife one so that she doesn't have to do all her training on her road bike (2003 Trek 5200) ... anyway, I want to spend a grand or less on a hard tail (front shocks only) ... anyone have any personal experience with 2005 or 2006 Trek or Specialized in that range?

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Pendo, I have a good site for you to check out, but I don't have the link at home. Hopefully, I'll see this thread tomorrow so I can shoot you the link. If you're interested, PM me so I don't forget.

Ryan
06-16-2006, 12:45 AM
I think bike shopping is really hard. Especially buying for someone else.

I have had a couple Treks in that price range and have ridden friend's Specialized. I really liked the Treks more. Especially my 6000 (either today's 4900 or 6500). Unfortunately, for me it doesn't just come down to brand and it just so happened I liked two Treks. The geometery of each bike (and differences in frame sizes) changes my preference like crazy. I'm riding a K2 3000 right now that I wish I'd tested longer because I'm ready for a new one. The cockpit just feels funny, I'm going to try some new handle bars before I upgrade again though.

Take a good look at Gary Fischers if they are in your area. They make some great hard tails (Rig and Cobia).

sberry3827
06-16-2006, 08:04 AM
I dont know how hard your wife will ride, but as long as she isn't planning on making a profession out of it, you really can't go wrong with the Specialized Hard Rock. It's light, durable, and its pretty cheap. They only run about $350. You can even get the next step up, RockHopper for around $500. Beyond that, your spending too much money if your not racing it.

Evan Jones
06-16-2006, 08:51 AM
I looked at the Treks and just wasn't happy with the geometry. I found a Rocky Mountain that really felt great. It's a smaller company out of Canada. Nice bikes, not too bad a price. I think mine was about $600. Get her to take a few different brands for a ride. It's all personal preference, so it'll be worth it to make sure she likes the feel of it.

jraben8
06-16-2006, 09:03 AM
If you have time to do a little research check out www.mtbr.com. It's where I spend my online time when I'm not here.

I'd put my $$$ on either a Rockhopper or for a little more maybe a Trek 6500 WSD (retail is about $900) depending on how much she rides.

I don't know what dealers are in your area but Ryan mentioned Gary Fishers which are very good bikes. Some others to think about are Cannondale, Kona and/or Jamis.

Unless it is a surprise, she really needs to ride each and see what feels most comfortable for her.

PendO
06-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Well, I went to a Trek / Gary Fisher store and ended up with one of these http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=trail-genesis&bike=Tassajara_Disc_GS ... thanks for the help fellas.

Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc GS $899 // plus bar ends, shoes, computer & tax
it does have the womens specific geometry (denoted by the GS), which she liked as she came at lunch and made sure it was the right size.

Hoosier Bob
06-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey big "P" two great companies that you will not go wrong with. Giant and Fisher may also be a solid consideration. $1000 smacko's buys a lot more today than a few years back! I know as I have 3-4k in that crap hanging in the garage as we speak! :rolleyes: Stick with the dealer that offers the most support on the most recognizable brand. Most can't set a bike up for sh** so help the beautiful lady with that on your own time! :toast:

PendO
06-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey big "P" two great companies that you will not go wrong with. Giant and Fisher may also be a solid consideration. $1000 smacko's buys a lot more today than a few years back! I know as I have 3-4k in that crap hanging in the garage as we speak! :rolleyes: Stick with the dealer that offers the most support on the most recognizable brand. Most can't set a bike up for sh** so help the beautiful lady with that on your own time! :toast:

Yeah, the shop I bought from is not the cheapest, but the mechanics/salesmen/owner are studs ... they know their product up oneside and down the other, and when you go in for a tune up they get the bike back to you the same day and do not rake you over for the bill, and when you want them to explain the nuances (sic) they can provide information overload ... so if you are shopping for a bike in Spokane then Two Wheel Transit is da' Bomb (and they don't leave your bike outside to get rained on) ... I know there are a few other brands out there that would have been fine, but I wanted to shop at the store that does the service work on our road-bikes ... I considered specialized b/c they have them at REI (and I like my annual dividend check), but "my" dealer sells Trek / Gary Fisher / Klein in their mtn bike line and I decided to stay with them because THEY KNOW CUSTOMER SERVICE:)

Hoosier Bob
06-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Nice job Casey! Is this going to be a coed sport? Are you already up to speed and now the little lady is game as well? The more you do together the longer you stay together, well maybe.

PendO
06-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Nice job Casey! Is this going to be a coed sport? Are you already up to speed and now the little lady is game as well? The more you do together the longer you stay together, well maybe.

I wouldn't mind getting one eventually, but I wanted her to have something to train on besides her road bike (for triathlons) some of the roads up by our house are not in the best of shape and I kept having visions of her dumping her road bike on the sand/gravel on the road from construction activity ... and unfortunately the last time we went for a ride together she completely embarrassed me (but did wait at the top of the hill).

Workin' 4 Toys
06-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I bought the Specialized Hardrock Pro last year. So far so good. It was my first with front and rear discs with front shocks. Took awhile for me to get used to. It's easy to do a face plant if you don't use them correctly.(Or have them adjusted properly)
I will be shopping for a new one for my wife soon, I think she may end up with a Cannondale "lefty":D

RexDog1
06-19-2006, 12:16 PM
You can’t go wrong with Gary Fisher

I have been riding Fisher Bikes for years now, and never been disappointed

“Nice Job” and you are right CUSTOMER SERVICE is so important
:toast:

tex
06-19-2006, 12:23 PM
When I was 12, I had one mean Huffy!

debecker13
06-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Bought a Jamis Dakar XC Expert not long ago and have been having a great time with it... I don't know why anyone would go with a hardtail now that I have seen the light.

PendO
06-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Best part of my day ... was looking at my wife's roadbike ... taking it down to get a tune-up before a race ... found a crack/fracture (1 inch in total length) in the seat stay on the right hand side about 6" up from where the axel goes thru ... FFFFFFFFFFFantastic ... shop is tearing it apart to send back to trek and get FFFFFFFFFFFixed ... and supposedly a buddy of mine will let her borrow a Tri bike as her's may take 1-2 months to get back:)

MarkP
06-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Well, I went to a Trek / Gary Fisher store and ended up with one of these http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=trail-genesis&bike=Tassajara_Disc_GS ... thanks for the help fellas.

it does have the womens specific geometry (denoted by the GS), which she liked as she came at lunch and made sure it was the right size.
Nice choice pendo. Hope it works out well for her.

I’ve been looking at bikes for mostly woods riding. Looked at a Gary Fisher Tassajara Disk, but am trying to keep the cost down a little. I really like the Kona, Shred, but the Kona dealer is less local. I dragged my feet a little buying because a bunch of the local shops and enthusiasts are having a big “swap” in Pittsburgh this weekend and thought I might dig up an 05 or used Shred.

Not to jack your thread, but, any thoughts on the shred, Good/bad??

RexDog1
06-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Nice choice pendo. Hope it works out well for her.

I’ve been looking at bikes for mostly woods riding. Looked at a Gary Fisher Tassajara Disk, but am trying to keep the cost down a little. I really like the Kona, Shred, but the Kona dealer is less local. I dragged my feet a little buying because a bunch of the local shops and enthusiasts are having a big “swap” in Pittsburgh this weekend and thought I might dig up an 05 or used Shred.

Not to jack your thread, but, any thoughts on the shred, Good/bad??

Kona makes a good bike, I road a friends Kula Primo last month
It was very nice bike :woohoo: But it is hard to beat Fisher

I have never purchase a used bike hummmm look it over good :twocents:

MarkP
06-21-2006, 10:05 AM
I am a little apprehensive about buying used but it cant hurt to look. I’m mostly interested in the new 05s at the bike swap but who knows?? Love the way that Shred looks and would like to test one before I buy anything..

MarkP
06-25-2006, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the inspiration PendO

After thinking about upgrading from the Wal-Mart special for a few years, I pulled the trigger.

After riding a couple different types of bikes I went with the, Giant Iguana. A little different than the dirt jumper that I was looking at earlier in the week, but a lot more versatile.

PendO
06-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the inspiration PendO

After thinking about upgrading from the Wal-Mart special for a few years, I pulled the trigger.

After riding a couple different types of bikes I went with the, Giant Iguana. A little different than the dirt jumper that I was looking at earlier in the week, but a lot more versatile.

sweet ............... I borrowed my dads mtn. bike today and went for a ride with my wife ... then when I put her bike on the car rack I popped the tire:) What a jackenheimer ... and her road bike, well, the trek dealer tore it apart and sent it back to Trek to see if they will repair or replace the cracked carbon frame;) (I think it got knocked over in the garage and cracked the seat stay) On a good note, I did get two slalom runs in this weekend, always nice to get up behind the boat ... but when I spend all winter thinking of how much I love my small wake, I come to realize that when the first ride of the season rolls around, I am just happy to drag my faaaaaaaat arese out of the water ... somehow my 69" does not like 230# as much as it did 210#;)

Ric
06-26-2006, 07:49 AM
somehow my 69" does not like 230# as much as it did 210#;)

tell me about it .... :rolleyes:

MarkP
06-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Got my first ride in after Skiing yesterday. My “third” from the ski crew, has an old Scott and seems to be as enthusiastic as I am about things and he lives 4 houses away. Most of the ride was on the road but we do have some good woods to ride just behind the house.

Most of my winter weight has been burned off. I like to carry about 165 through the summer, but after laying around all winter I came out this spring at 179. Its getting harder and harder to whip it into shape each spring..

jraben8
06-26-2006, 08:22 AM
and her road bike, well, the trek dealer tore it apart and sent it back to Trek to see if they will repair or replace the cracked carbon frame;) (I think it got knocked over in the garage and cracked the seat stay)

I'm thinking that she's going to be getting a new frame. I don't know of a way that they can repair a cracked cf frame but I'm sure that they will make it right.

PendO
07-11-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking that she's going to be getting a new frame. I don't know of a way that they can repair a cracked cf frame but I'm sure that they will make it right.

the trek dealer got an email back from trek and supposeldy they [Trek] want to sell her a "crash replacement frame" (2003 56" 5200) for $1200 ... thing is the bike was not crashed, so the frame should still be under warranty ... the bike store guy is gonna call up their inside rep at Trek and see what the deal is ... meanwhile a buddy is letting her borrow his race bike this weekend as she has a small triathlon ... it's full Dura Ace with some sweet carbon TT handlebars (with the shifters on the aero bars), but my wife is kinda freaking out about not having her normal drop handlebars ... she is used to the aero bars, but not used to the shifters on the bars... I hope she just keeps his bike upright, or I will have more than one frame to replace:)