PDA

View Full Version : Blower question...

butter
06-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Here's a pic of the blower in my '92 205. Should there be vent hose(s) connected to the front or back of it? Or is it correct as shown? Thanks!

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 03:06 PM
You need a vent hose dude. It should go out towards the stern.

G-man
06-15-2006, 03:18 PM
You need a hose bad. It usally runs up to one of the vents on the back of the boat. Open your engine cover completely and let it air out a couple minutes before starting. If not you and your engine cover could become a rocket.

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Get some vent hose. Even opening your engine box, while helpful, won't get all those heavy fumes out. I've heard of people using dryer hose in a pinch. Not sure if it's recommended or not. But anything is better than no hose.

sanjuan23
06-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Thats no blower without a hose, it's a recirc. fan. Get some hose man!

erkoehler
06-15-2006, 03:48 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Um, you've got a problem there buddy!

Hoff1
06-15-2006, 03:53 PM
When I bought my boat, it wasnít too much different. Hose had somehow become intertwined in the prop shaft and had been twisted to death. Used dryer hose as a replacement. Was a PITA to fix. Have to remove the back bench, fight the gas tank and use my go-go-gadget arms. I verify my airflow from time to time through the exhaust vents to confirm I donít have a bomb.

jeverett
06-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Id say that was a pretty good catch on your part. I have seen many a boat blow at the ramp becasue of this or the owner not running the blower prior to starting for at least 5 min. to be sure. Looks like a 4" blower from here although can't tell for sure.

erkoehler
06-15-2006, 04:06 PM
4 minutes is what is recommended in terms of how long the blower should be ran. More time never hurts, and it is better to run it to much than not enough.

Hoff1
06-15-2006, 04:11 PM
I always keep mine running while pulling skiers and boarders. Not worth the risk.

Jwhitsett1129
06-15-2006, 05:56 PM
I have a similar question. The vent hose running aft is in tact and attached. The hose on the forward end of the blower was torn up and I pulled it off. It just seemed to hang down lower into the engine compartment and sit there. That didn't really make sense to me anyway as the fumes and gases would most likely rise in the compartment. Is the hose on the front of the blower a necessary component?

rodltg2
06-15-2006, 05:58 PM
I always keep mine running while pulling skiers and boarders. Not worth the risk.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 06:01 PM
I have a similar question. The vent hose running aft is in tact and attached. The hose on the forward end of the blower was torn up and I pulled it off. It just seemed to hang down lower into the engine compartment and sit there. That didn't really make sense to me anyway as the fumes and gases would most likely rise in the compartment. Is the hose on the front of the blower a necessary component?

I don't have any hose on the forward end of my blower (only the hose going out the rear vents. Gas fumes are heavier than air (or so I've been made to understand).

erkoehler
06-15-2006, 06:03 PM
The fumes will drop to the bottom of the bilge, so if you blower is mounted high in a non-factory location, you may need an additional hose to go to the bottom of the bilge.

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 06:06 PM
4 minutes is what is recommended in terms of how long the blower should be ran. More time never hurts, and it is better to run it to much than not enough.

Erk you are lawsuit waiting to happen. :D My boat says 5 minutes.........

tisk, tisk, what kind of boat salesman wouldn't know that :popcorn:

Jwhitsett1129
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
It is mounted in what I assume is the factory position, starboard side of the motor and directly in front of the starter. I didn't think it was a huge deal, but I may end replacing it anyway...couldn't be to expensive. Cheaper than a fire, that's for sure. Thanks for your help.

erkoehler
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Erk you are lawsuit waiting to happen. :D My boat says 5 minutes.........

tisk, tisk, what kind of boat salesman wouldn't know that :popcorn:

Does it say 5......the one's at camp said 4! Maybe that was the problem :)

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Does it say 5......the one's at camp said 4! Maybe that was the problem :)

Yep....

I think the problem was user error. Those plaid suits and gold rings didn't work well with the boats. :woohoo: :D

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 06:15 PM
My manual says 4 minutes.

erkoehler
06-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Yep....

I think the problem was user error. Those plaid suits and gold rings didn't work well with the boats. :woohoo: :D

What does it say on the sticker by the windshield above the throttle? Go have yourself a look see Jeff, and report back!

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 06:18 PM
What does it say on the sticker by the windshield above the throttle? Go have yourself a look see Jeff, and report back!
Thats what says 5 minutes..........

erkoehler
06-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Thats what says 5 minutes..........

Did you go look? Or, are you just guessing?

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Did you go look? Or, are you just guessing?

No guessing, I remember well because I laughed when I read it. 5 minutes never happens for me......... :rolleyes:

erkoehler
06-15-2006, 06:24 PM
No guessing, I remember well because I laughed when I read it. 5 minutes never happens for me......... :rolleyes:

Good, cause it says 4.....

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 06:28 PM

erkoehler
06-15-2006, 06:30 PM

I'm sticking with my original answer of it says "4 minutes".....I guess we'll wait for Jrandol to walk out to the garage and check.

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm sticking with my original answer of it says "4 minutes".....I guess we'll wait for Jrandol to walk out to the garage and check.

Wife just called, she checked..........go back to sales school dude, you need to learn the product. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Wife just called, she checked..........go back to sales school dude, you need to learn the product. :rolleyes:

MarkP
06-15-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm sticking with my original answer of it says "4 minutes".....I guess we'll wait for Jrandol to walk out to the garage and check.Come on man. What is your next other best guess??

butter
06-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the responses. I figured it was missing a hose. I would prefer not to use dryer hose. I did that in another boat, and it wasn't very durable. I'll look for something a little heavier duty. Just to clarify... only a hose from the rear of the blower to the rear vents is needed?

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the responses. I figured it was missing a hose. I would prefer not to use dryer hose. I did that in another boat, and it wasn't very durable. I'll look for something a little heavier duty. Just to clarify... only a hose from the rear of the blower to the rear vents is needed?

If the blower is beneath the engine, I'd say yes.

jeverett
06-15-2006, 08:04 PM

A year ago I replaced my blower with a new 3" one and used new heavy duty R.V. sewer hose that is much thicker than the stock Heater vent hose. Just a thaught. :)

M-Funf
06-15-2006, 08:47 PM
So what should I do on my ol' '76? The blower is mounted up under the dash, pulls air in through the vent up front, then out through the vent on the back.

Is that good enough?

erkoehler
06-15-2006, 09:41 PM
So what should I do on my ol' '76? The blower is mounted up under the dash, pulls air in through the vent up front, then out through the vent on the back.

Is that good enough?

There is no suction coming out of the bilge?

TMCNo1
06-15-2006, 11:00 PM
On our '89 the rear blower hose goes to the rear vent, then there is a short hose that goes from the front of the blower down under the oil pan. The bow vents have hoses on them under the bow that go into the bilge forward of the observer and driver flooring that feeds fresh air into the bilge, either by the blower pulling air in or by being up on plane and forcing air in the front vents. Either way fresh air enters the bilge and hot, gaseous fumes are exited through the reat vent.

LakePirate
06-15-2006, 11:07 PM

Sounds like a personal problem.

PendO
06-15-2006, 11:10 PM
This thread makes me think of Hugh Grant ...

Jorski
06-16-2006, 09:21 AM
That didn't really make sense to me anyway as the fumes and gases would most likely rise in the compartment. Is the hose on the front of the blower a necessary component?

For the record: Gasoline fumes are HEAVIER than air and will pool in your bilge...this is extremely dangerous!

The blower pushes these out through a vent hose. This creates negative pressure in the the engine compartment causing fresh air to be drawn in through the other hose which is connected to a vent.

If you cannot get fresh air in, you will NOT get the fumes out, as the bilge blower is not strong enough to draw air through the engine box.

Also, without the second tube that gets connected to the vent, you should run the blower all of the time. The one that is connected to the vent up front, provides positive pressure when you are moving, allowing you to turn the blower off.

Bottom line: fix it asap :firejump:

Evan Jones
06-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Mine disintegrated last time I pulled the starter. I ordered 15' of replacement from SKIDIM with a few other parts. I was planning on replacing the entire length, but it went up under the fuel tank and was starting to look like quite a project. While taking the old stuff out, I found a rigid piece of PVC inside the hose where it goes alongside the muffler. I only used about five feet of hose and spliced it on that PVC pipe. If anyone needs 10' of hose I'll put it in the mail.

NeilM
06-16-2006, 11:15 AM
My manual says 4 minutes.

FYI: In Canada, 4 minutes is law.

It would be a PITA to wait 4 minutes every time when turning the engine on/off during watersports activity, so I just leave it running and plan on replacing the blower every second season.

M-Funf
06-16-2006, 12:26 PM

Ummm...Nope :popcorn: :o

east tx skier
06-16-2006, 12:26 PM
I always turn mine on first thing when we get to the launch parking lot. It takes me at least 4 minutes to transfer gear from the truck to the boat and install the bimini.

M-Funf
06-16-2006, 12:29 PM
So maybe I should add a second blower (or just replace the first one that sounds like it's about to implode anyway) with one down in the bilge and pipe it to the rear vent??? :confused:

Are blower motors sealed? They must be if they're in an explosive environment, right?