PDA

View Full Version : PS205 Shaft Alignment

butter
06-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Using the helpful guidance found in previous threads, I'm getting ready to check/adjust the shaft alignment on my recently acquired '92 205, and opened up the floor last night. Thought I'd post a 'before' pic. I'll post more pics as the work progresses. Doesn't look like anyone's been in there recently...

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Wow! I'd grind off that rust and get some paint on there.

Let us know how the alignment goes!

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Is that sand around the shaft log?

sanjuan23
06-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Is the powerslot tranny that much longer than the velvet drive. Seems like I have a lot more space between the rear of the tranny and the Shaft Log.

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Is the powerslot tranny that much longer than the velvet drive. Seems like I have a lot more space between the rear of the tranny and the Shaft Log.

Yes it is.

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Extra mechanism/step for the gear reduction.

butter
06-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Is that sand around the shaft log?
Nope- no sand. Just a thin layer of caked dirt.

Wow! I'd grind off that rust and get some paint on there.
Yeah, I'm hoping to get things cleaned up a little while it's open.

butter
06-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Here’s an update on the small amount of work I did on this last night…

I unbolted the couplers, but was unable to separate them. I plan to get them soaking in penetrating oil tonight. Any other tips for getting them apart? Heat?

I also disconnected the rubber boot from the shaft log. I was surprised and disappointed to discover that the shaft has been riding on the bottom of the log, and has actually worn through the log. (picture attached). Additionally disappointing, the root cause appears to be that the strut is bent. Bummer.

This morning, the gentleman at skidim.com, advised that people have had success at straightening the strut enough to reasonably center the shaft in the log. I plan to give this a try, before shelling out for a new one.

I may need new strut bushings, as the shaft does not appear to be running “true” through the strut, and the bushing may be worn as a result. (see pic below).

Skidim didn’t have the shaft log available, so I’m waiting to hear back from the local dealer on price/availability. Any other sources to check for a shaft log? I’m actually tempted to leave the old log in, as I’m pretty sure I can get it sealed up, after the shaft/strut problem is corrected. I was surprised that it appears to be made of plastic. Or maybe I’ll pull it out and try to fiberglass the worn-through areas.

The good news is that it appears there is a great deal of potential for this boat to run a lot smoother. I didn’t think the existing vibration was that bad… but then, this is my first mastercraft. Sorry for the long post.

Look in the mirror to see the underside of the shaft log, which has mostly worn away…

butter
06-16-2006, 01:56 PM
The shaft is not centered in the strut…

butter
06-16-2006, 03:04 PM
The shaft log is only $13 at the local dealer, so I will definitely be replacing it.

east tx skier
06-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Good to know it's not all that pricey. If your shaft is bent, but not too badly, there is a place (in NC) that can straighten it for you to within tolerance for a lot less than it is to replace it. If you do a search for "bent shaft," you'll eventually find a thread about me running over a channel marker in my father-in-law's boat. The name of this place should be in there.

butter
06-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Just another short update on the progress (or damage?) I made last night. I've been out of town for a while, so it was nice to be able to get back to it... I'm dying to be on the water again.

Anyway, I got the couplers separated with the aid of penetrating oil, and a rubber mallet on the prop. You can see in the pic how badly misaligned this drive train is, mostly due to the bent strut, which is pushing the shaft down and to the starboard side.

Now I'm working on getting the prop off, in order to remove the drive shaft completely. The prop is really stuck. I cranked on it pretty hard with a gear puller, and it would not budge. Tonight, I will be trying some of the tips I found in other threads on this site, namely heat, and whacking from the front with a 12" crescent and large hammer.

butter
06-27-2006, 04:27 PM
A look at the gear puller on the prop... I cranked on this about as hard as I could. Next will add heat and some not-so-gentle impacts with the hammer and crescent wrench. I'm cheap, so am hoping not to have to shell out for the prop puller.

butter
06-27-2006, 04:29 PM
double post