PDA

View Full Version : Platform reconditioning

sandsslot
10-18-2004, 08:08 PM
I would like to recondition the platform on my 93. Is there a recommendation that results in an anti-slip surface yet does not scratch skis?

east tx skier
10-19-2004, 10:25 AM
sandslot, I've been very happy with using teak oil. I follow George's method of sanding in ever decreasing grain levels and applying several coats of oil. Let it dry in the sun. The platform does not feel oily or slippery (and I do put my ski on on the platform).

I've seen people carpet their platforms, but this is not for me as I simply love the look of the oiled teak. If you have a fiberglass platform, you might try cutting up some "yoga" mats. They have a tacky feel to them. You could attach them using the 3M adhesive spray.

captkidd
10-21-2004, 08:54 AM
There are a couple of threads on the "Maintenance" thread under "Appearance" that deal with reconditioning teak platforms. Doug is right about oiling and sanding between coats. This works great, but if you over do it the deck can get slick (speaking from first hand experience).

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 09:53 AM
I don't doubt it will get slick if you overdo it. From my experience, one way to avoid this is by letting it dry thoroughly in the sun between coats. With this method, I've gotten up to six coats on there with no slickness whatsoever. You definitely don't want a slick platform if you're putting your ski on up there.

AirJunky
10-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Traxx it...... (http://airjunky.com/traxxed)

http://www.airjunky.com/traxxed/025_25.jpg

east tx skier
10-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Hey, AJ, what are the little black things on the right side and right/center of the platform?

AirJunky
10-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey, AJ, what are the little black things on the right side and right/center of the platform?

Their used to stabilize a Sky Ski or Air Chair while the rider gets seated & strapped in. I don't really find them needed but that particular person liked them. I guess their nice if your dealing with waves while sitting there.

captkidd
10-21-2004, 11:41 AM
Do you put on the Sky Ski / Air Chair while seated on the platform? If so, do you just flop over into the water? Seems kinda dangerous.

AirJunky
10-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Do you put on the Sky Ski / Air Chair while seated on the platform? If so, do you just flop over into the water? Seems kinda dangerous.

Yep, been doing it for almost 10 years & never even heard of a mishap.

MarkP
10-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Sandslot

Do we get the before and after shots of this project??

tex
10-22-2004, 09:08 AM
Yep, been doing it for almost 10 years & never even heard of a mishap.

how do you keep from falling back in the water as you are strapping in?

AirJunky
10-22-2004, 12:42 PM

Since the foil is so far back on the board, it's easy to sit down & lean forward a bit & the foil will stay on the swimstep. Then when your done strapping in, just lean back & slide in. In almost 10 years of riding, I've never heard of the foil hitting any part of the boat doing this.

Sometimes we'll hold the tip of the board down for a rookie rider. I usually just sit on the transom & put my feet on the board in front of the bindings.

AirJunky
10-22-2004, 12:47 PM

BTW Tex,
One of the largest sanctioned fly-ins (what we call a get together for hydrofoil riders) is just a few miles from you in Weatherford on the Brazos River. This year is was at the end of Sept.
Check it out: http://www.texasflyin.com/

Some of the most talented riders in the country are there, including the current world champ.

tex
10-22-2004, 01:09 PM
BTW Tex,
One of the largest sanctioned fly-ins (what we call a get together for hydrofoil riders) is just a few miles from you in Weatherford on the Brazos River. This year is was at the end of Sept.
Check it out: http://www.texasflyin.com/

Some of the most talented riders in the country are there, including the current world champ.

We have been having someone put their feet on the front too. I think that my fat gut prevents me from leaning far enough forward to do it by myself. We did go tht eh fly-in this year. Great time. Did you go?

AirJunky
10-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Didn't make it this year but I was there in '99 & '00 & had a blast. I understand that it's gotten bigger & better in recent years too.
I did make it to Parker 2 weekends ago & hung out with several of the TX guys quite a bit. Bailed a couple of them out after they lost the "Rental Car Challenge" too..... :uglyhamme

tex
10-22-2004, 02:46 PM
We had a good time. I met Geno which was cool. We have show skied with alot of the same people. It was nice to drink beer and dog our friends out to each other. I just wish that I hadn't got hurt and we could have rode the next day.