PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Center

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Going to buy the wife a new laptop for her Bday (next week) and have been shopping around. What is the difference between Windows XP and Windows 05 Media Center? She plans to use the laptop mainly to pay bills online, surf the web, and send photo emails to family. We will keep our desktop puter to do the DVD editing etc...

What do you recommend?

bcampbe7
06-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Going to buy the wife a new laptop for her Bday (next week) and have been shopping around. What is the difference between Windows XP and Windows 05 Media Center? She plans to use the laptop mainly to pay bills online, surf the web, and send photo emails to family. We will keep our desktop puter to do the DVD editing etc...

What do you recommend?

For doing what she will be using the laptop for I would go with XP...

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks Beau, for reference what are the main differences?

bcampbe7
06-15-2006, 02:35 PM
As far as I understand, Windows Media Center can act as a TiVo and do some other cool stuff.
You can store your DVD's on the PC and, when connected to a TV, play them back. You don't have to load DVD's and such.
It is basically as the name states, a Media Center. Record and playback your favorite TV shows, as well as home videos and such.

I was thinking of using a media center PC a couple of years ago when I was building my entertainment room. I was going to have the media center PC in a closet, out of sight, and store all of my DVD's on it and use it as a TiVo-like device. You can get a video card and remote so you can control the media center features via remote. :cool:

For a laptop, I would just go with XP. Try to get XP Pro if you can. It has a few more features. On a side-note Windows Media Center is XP Pro with the media center aspect added.

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 02:39 PM
As far as I understand, Windows Media Center can act as a TiVo and do some other cool stuff.
You can store your DVD's on the PC and, when connected to a TV, play them back. You don't have to load DVD's and such.
It is basically as the name states, a Media Center. Record and playback your favorite TV shows, as well as home videos and such.

I was thinking of using a media center PC a couple of years ago when I was building my entertainment room. I was going to have the media center PC in a closet, out of sight, and store all of my DVD's on it and use it as a TiVo-like device. You can get a video card and remote so you can control the media center features via remote. :cool:

For a laptop, I would just go with XP. Try to get XP Pro if you can. It has a few more features. On a side-note Windows Media Center is XP Pro with the media center aspect added.

Good to know! Well the ones I have seen are either $100 to get XP Media Center or $100 less and get XP home. I too prefer XP pro, maybe it makes sense to spend the $100 to get XP Pro/Media Center??

LakePirate
06-15-2006, 02:44 PM
One difference between XP Pro and XP Home is the ability to network with a domain is lost on the home edition. You can still set up a work group, just no domain. Don't know if that is an issue for you but for 100 bones it would be worth it to me to get the Pro. What are you worried about money bags? What is another 100?

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 02:45 PM
One difference between XP Pro and XP Home is the ability to network with a domain is lost on the home edition. You can still set up a work group, just no domain. Don't know if that is an issue for you but for 100 bones it would be worth it to me to get the Pro. What are you worried about money bags? What is another 100?

Moneybags??? You must be thinking of someone else :rolleyes:

bcampbe7
06-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Good to know! Well the ones I have seen are either $100 to get XP Media Center or $100 less and get XP home. I too prefer XP pro, maybe it makes sense to spend the $100 to get XP Pro/Media Center??

Are you saying this: (Just an example not real pricing)

XP Home $600
XP Pro $700
XP Pro/Media Center $800

This review may shed more light on the subject. For $100, I would probably go for it...

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3672_7-5536454.html

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 02:47 PM
XP Home $600
XP Pro $700
XP Pro/Media Center $800

This review may shed more light on the subject. For $100, I would probably go for it...

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3672_7-5536454.html

Its like this:

XP Home $600
XP Pro/Media Center $700

LakePirate
06-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Or am I??? (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9403)

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Or am I??? (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9403)

You got it all wrong my brutha......... Hope to be moneybags some day though :D

bcampbe7
06-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Its like this:

XP Home $600
XP Pro/Media Center $700

I would go for it moneybags...
You "can't" add Media Center to a PC with XP Pro. You basically have to buy the PC with Media Center. I know how you are... You would rather buy all of the features now, rather than needing them and not having them. I'm the same way, so I would probably buy the Media Center PC.

The only thing I am not sure of is whether or not Windows Media Center looks different than Windows XP as far as the Windows look and feel. I think Windows Media Center is an app that runs over Windows XP Pro.

LakePirate
06-15-2006, 02:53 PM
You got it all wrong my brutha......... Hope to be moneybags some day though :D

You can't hide money.

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 02:56 PM
:shocked: :rolleyes: :shocked:

PendO
06-15-2006, 03:05 PM
XP Pro for a laptop ... if it were a new desktop I'd get media center, but with media center it is kinda a waste if you are not integrating it with your other household A/V stuff IMO.

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 03:49 PM
We ordered a Dell desktop for my mom a while back and I don't remember there being an option other than XP Media Center.

jimmer2880
06-16-2006, 01:14 PM
XP media center does sit on top of XP Pro. If I were to buy a new laptop, I'd get Media Center.

We have 3 Microsoft consultants who work on my team All 3 of them run Media Center (since they don't have a Vista Media Center yet) on their laptops when not running Vista (the next release of XP).

If you can, I'd wait until closer to Christmas... I'm guessing if you buy one then, you'll probably get a coupon for a free Vista upgrade. I'm going Vista as soon as possible. It has some real nice features & is much more secure than XP.