PDA

View Full Version : Convention of measuring ski length?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Is there some standard convention in measuring ski length? I am currently looking at some used skis, and one seller said that they have a HO CDX that measures 67" but they said that HO calls it a 68". whats the scoop there? How do you actually measure the ski length? from ground to tip while standing? from tip to tail by running a tape along the surface of the ski? or by running a tape from tip to tail on the top side of hte ski(tape in air not against ski)???

what is the correct way to do this? :confused:

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Not the answer you are looking for, but I'd go with HO's measurements and use their sizing chart.

06-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks Eastie, its just confusing that they said it "measures 67, but HO calls it a 68" ski" it just sounded odd. The problem is, I dont think HO labels the length on their skis....at least my Vengeance dont have it. The Triumphs do have the size on it. DO the CDX's from Wileys have the size labeled on them? anyone know?

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 12:31 PM
When you receive them new, there should be a little sticker under the tip of the ski with the size on it.

ski_king
06-15-2006, 12:35 PM
I'd be careful about that one. Sounds like it shrunk when it got wet.

Jorski
06-15-2006, 12:39 PM
There is no convention; however:

Most manufacturers, including HO measure along the bottom of the ski - or along the curve.

Goode, is an exception, and they use "cord length". This means the length is measure as if a cord ran from the tail to the tip, through the air over the top of the ski. As a result a 67 inch Goode is about the same as a 68 inch HO.

Hope that helps.

06-15-2006, 02:09 PM
thanks all! I am looking at a used ski, so no sticker. a used CDX.....

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 02:28 PM
To sort of clarify what I said above, If HO says it's a 68", and by their sizing chart, you should be on a 68", then I'd go by what HO says it is.