PDA

View Full Version : $#%&%^ MySpace.com

phecksel
06-14-2006, 12:33 PM
That $#%%^&^ website is going to be the death of my oldest daughter, BY ME. It's a crack like addiction! The only positive thing about it, it's given us some valuable insight into her troubled and conflicted life.

She had an account and it was taken away. As a reward for good behavior, was allowed to create a new site with knowledge that we reserved the right to log into her account at any time. But, she then lost access to her account for defiance and grades, but the account wasn't deleted. She uses the next doors neighbor's computer, telling them it was ok, because we had computer problems {which should have been their first clue something was wrong, because he's my expert}. That was stopped, so then she goes on my primary computer which serves as the household server and other things. I didn't have a password on that computer, because they know you never ever touch daddy's computer <sigh>. So that's fixed. Next they go to grandpa's for the weekend and grandpa had a chat with her about his computer and specifically told her she was not permitted to use his computer while she was there. She did anyway, to go on myspace. So now, myspace is blocked at my router, next door neighbor is under strict instructions, she is not allowed to use their computer, she's allowed to use the library's computer, but myspace is blocked... It seems as though her life totally revolves around myspace. I could scream right now, especially since I haven't been skiing for a couple of weeks now, first due to an injury, then to other commitments, and now tonight I have to have a long discussion about her defiant attitude. I think my first choice of words will be Louisville Slugger, LOL.

See, I am winning the meanest parent in the world award!

pkskier
06-14-2006, 12:43 PM
I haven't had the problems with my daughter that you have, but she does have myspace and I agree that it is like a drug addition.

jraben8
06-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Meanest, no.

Caring, yes.

I shudder to think what will be there when my 6 and 3 year olds become interested in things like this...

ski_king
06-14-2006, 12:57 PM
I believe most kids who use myspace have 2 accounts, one their parents know about and can check up on and then the other the parents don't know about.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Here comes the dumb question.....so whats the big attraction with myspace??? :confused:

SKI*MC
06-14-2006, 01:07 PM
You can look up, and check out your friends, people you have't seen for a while, comment, look at pictures, listen to music, watch videos. I really don't have a problem with it.

betsy&david Harrison
06-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Yep, you are right. Most do have two. I just asked my student assistant and she confirmed. There is so much drama on this sight. Threats from one girl to another over boyfriends or just friends. Lots of trash talking. I'd block it on my router too. You are a caring parent and your kid will see it later. Being involved in every aspect of their lives keeps them in line! Good job for you B

Ryan
06-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I don't see where the interest is in posting pictures of yourself and chatting with people you've never met. :D

bobbyB
06-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Yes! You have now entered the time in your life when you suddenly become extremely stupid. Along with stupid is mean, uncaring, out of touch, and a multiplicity of other BullSh@# accusations. And lets not forget the "don't you trust me?" line. Hang in there. Your job as a parent is to see the big picture, even when it's not popular. Sooner or later they will grow up and figure out that M&D weren't so stupid after all. Just like we did!

6ballsisall
06-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I don't see where the interest is in posting pictures of yourself and chatting with people you've never met. :D

Ryan are you really Gene?? :D

rodltg2
06-14-2006, 01:23 PM
cant blame the sight, blame the users

6ballsisall
06-14-2006, 01:24 PM

your a democrat aren't you Rod :D :woohoo:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-14-2006, 01:29 PM
actually JR, I think Ryan may be Dooker....not Gene 8p

Mag_Red
06-14-2006, 01:31 PM
:rant: That place is run by the devil I tell you! When my daughter first started a profile there, the idiot posted her full name, school she attends, where she works...etc, etc :rolleyes: I immediately put a stop to that. Now if the world wasn't filled but freaks, low lifes, and child predators............I wouldn't have such a problem with it. But Myspace is a feeding ground for the demented. You would be shocked :eek: by some of the provocative photos ,on that site ,of kids under 18 :noface:

86Craft
06-14-2006, 01:32 PM

Ryan, you beat me to the punch...

Mr. Kettle I would like you to meet Mr. Black.

ski_king
06-14-2006, 01:33 PM
......... I'd block it on my router too. You are a caring parent and your kid will see it later.................
Good idea! I think I will try that!
My kids seem to have tapered of the use of it for now, at least the accounts I am aware of.

I went to my daughters college orientation yesterday and they were talking about facebook.com. This is a lot like myspace, but you need to be registered to view and you have to have a edu email address to register.

Ryan
06-14-2006, 01:35 PM
I think vision has little to do with it. Unless you believe the old legend about losing your sight.

I think the concept of the site is good, but MySpace does nothing to patrol illegal actions/activities/clubs/groups.

Did anyone see the SNL skit for a MySpace training class. There was one Mom that wanted to learn how to use it to see what her kids were doing, the rest were all pedophiles. Very funny, but probably not too far off. I do worry about my nieces that get on that site.

Ryan
06-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Found the SNL skit. Check this out http://www.buzznet.com/buzzwords/snl/video/16860/

rodltg2
06-14-2006, 01:57 PM
i just dont think that the sight is appropiate for under 18.

Bobby
06-14-2006, 02:01 PM
I went to my daughters college orientation yesterday and they were talking about facebook.com. This is a lot like myspace, but you need to be registered to view and you have to have a edu email address to register.

yeah facebook is a simple way to look people up that actually go to your school. it isnt near as complex as myspace and only people at your school can see your profile, or you can make it to where only your friends can see it.

east tx skier
06-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Found the SNL skit. Check this out http://www.buzznet.com/buzzwords/snl/video/16860/

Horatio Sans cracks me up.

captain planet
06-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Here comes the dumb question.....so whats the big attraction with myspace??? :confused:
I'm with you on that one. I know what it is, but I have never been there or even seen a "myspace" screen. :confused:

Leroy
06-14-2006, 02:50 PM
That skit was too funny, if not maybe a little too true........

My kids only use IM's and Neopets.

richardsoncd
06-14-2006, 03:19 PM

richardsoncd
06-14-2006, 03:20 PM
:rant: That place is run by the devil I tell you! When my daughter first started a profile there, the idiot posted her full name, school she attends, where she works...etc, etc :rolleyes:

Mag my friend, you have to fill that information out yourself and can edit it, the only information you have to give is an email address, the information in the profile is not mandantory. Just throwing you some facts.....I used it to get back in touch with old high school friends and college buddies I lost touch with :twocents: .....

wakebroad
06-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Hate to say it but I have a profile on myspace. I did it to find people to like to wakeboard and to keep in contact with my nieces. I got alot of men emailing me but I made a couple of women friends.
(Just regular friends. :o)

It's funny because my kids are the ones telling me to get off the computer!!! It is addicting. When I don't have anything going on myspace, I jump over to tmcowners. The first step is admitting you have a problem!!! :D

That SNL thing was FUNNY.

Leroy
06-14-2006, 04:09 PM
All this talk on MySpace and I signed up......

I have a new friend, Tom, who has 85 million friends on his list.......

That site is just a little intrigueing.......

ski_king
06-14-2006, 04:18 PM
I have a new friend, Tom, who has 85 million friends on his list.......
I was told by my daughter that Tom was Mr. Myspace.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6221

erkoehler
06-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Tom is the creator of MySpace.....you can edit him off your list if you want.

Leroy
06-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Makes sense, Tom is cool and nice friend to have! ;)

Now some wake boarding momma is emailing me? Is that you wakebroad???? This site really is everything :eek:

PendO
06-14-2006, 07:10 PM
If going to myspace is about re-uniting with old friends ... well, I never really liked them in the first place, otherwise I would have kept in touch ... three cheers for not liking most everyone you meet or come in contact with :)

Anyone know what a picture of the 2006 Ballast Flush Kit looks like?

phecksel
06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
That was funny, and sad

Update, we think we're better off knowing what's going on, but she's limited to 30 minutes of computer time per day, and has to limit her friends to 20. Any further violation will totally lose computer privileges

Leroy
06-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Phecksel; I would also add no talking to people you do not know.

phecksel
06-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Phecksel; I would also add no talking to people you do not know.
That was on the original rules list. She's a tough one, we have literally boxed ourselves into a corner with priviledge restrictions, etc. We are very restrictive, controlling, mean, don't understand, etc, LOL. The kids today are getting into way more bad stuff then ever. Peer pressure is unbelievable. Best I can hope for at 14 is to just keep the parental pressure on. When most of the peer groups parents do not pay attention to what their kids are doing, it makes it tough for us. Some of the stories we hear are unbelievable. One friend we had a tough time getting her away from, her mom told her she didn't know who the father was, because she liked having sex with a lot of different men. Another literally runs the streets 24/7, it goes on and on and on. Seriously tho, we are very restrictive and I feel sorry for her, but she doesn't help herself. Youngest on the other hand, is really into sports and it makes a huge difference.

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 11:24 PM
I just read an article in todays paper about a local girl that was raped by a sexual predator that she met online at myspace.com.

Sorry to scare you but just passing along what I read.

Ric
06-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Anyone know what a picture of the 2006 Ballast Flush Kit looks like?
it looks just like the fetzer valve

schmaltzy
06-16-2006, 10:40 AM
it looks just like the fetzer valve

Its all ball bearings these days.....uh Gordo

Leroy
06-16-2006, 10:43 AM
My kids are not into Myspace, just PM's and email. But after signing up, I'm learning stuff quickly! Sign up, it's not hard and you just need to visit every once in awhile and you will find out a lot more.

That was on the original rules list. She's a tough one, we have literally boxed ourselves into a corner with priviledge restrictions, etc. We are very restrictive, controlling, mean, don't understand, etc, LOL. The kids today are getting into way more bad stuff then ever. Peer pressure is unbelievable. Best I can hope for at 14 is to just keep the parental pressure on. When most of the peer groups parents do not pay attention to what their kids are doing, it makes it tough for us. Some of the stories we hear are unbelievable. One friend we had a tough time getting her away from, her mom told her she didn't know who the father was, because she liked having sex with a lot of different men. Another literally runs the streets 24/7, it goes on and on and on. Seriously tho, we are very restrictive and I feel sorry for her, but she doesn't help herself. Youngest on the other hand, is really into sports and it makes a huge difference.

phecksel
06-16-2006, 11:32 AM
My kids are not into Myspace, just PM's and email. But after signing up, I'm learning stuff quickly! Sign up, it's not hard and you just need to visit every once in awhile and you will find out a lot more.
I have her login and password. She attempted to change her computer login pw, once. Month without a computer got her attention real fast.

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 11:33 AM
I have her login and password. She attempted to change her computer login pw, once. Month without a computer got her attention real fast.

Man! Look what I have to look forward to in a few years :rolleyes: Teenagers....... :rolleyes:

phecksel
06-16-2006, 11:34 AM
I just read an article in todays paper about a local girl that was raped by a sexual predator that she met online at myspace.com.

Sorry to scare you but just passing along what I read.

This is SCARY
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/9359059/detail.html

86Craft
06-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey Phecksel :wavey: ...you would not happen to be selling a A/C on ebay would you? If so what would it take to end the auction now? I have a co-worker that needs one. Thanks either way! :)

phecksel
06-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey Phecksel :wavey: ...you would not happen to be selling a A/C on ebay would you? If so what would it take to end the auction now? I have a co-worker that needs one. Thanks either way! :)
yes, it's my a/c. It only has another day to go. Tell to bid high and bid often :) Works great, I tested it before listing. 25,000 Btu is a big A/C unit. Cooled my 1,200 sqft house, although getting the cool air back at the front of the house was tough.

Cloaked
06-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Thread jacked...in a very fashionable manner.... LMAO.....

:D :D

Ric
06-20-2006, 12:20 AM
so how do you block it on your router? do you have to be an IT pro to do it? no need for sites like this to be an issue around my house :cool:

PendO
06-20-2006, 12:21 AM
so how do you block it on your router? do you have to be an IT pro to do it? no need for sites like this to be an issue around my house :cool:

Ric, what brand is your router?

PendO
06-20-2006, 12:23 AM
if it is a linksys type into the address bar 192.168.1.1

leave the username blank
type "admin" as the password

go into Access Restrictions

look for the box below

"The internal, LAN-IP address is normally set to a default, private number. Linksys routers, for example, use 192.168.1.1 for their internal IP address. D-Link and Netgear routers typically use 192.168.0.1. Some US Robotics routers use 192.168.123.254, and some SMC routers use 192.168.2.1. No matter the brand of router, its default internal IP address should be provided in documentation. Administrators often have the option to change this IP address during router setup. In any case, however, the private LAN-IP address remains fixed once set. It can be viewed from the router's administrative console." Found the above info searching for 'default router IP address"

PendO
06-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Then, in the access restriction put in:

http://www.myspace.com/

Change your password from "admin" to something better:)

Also, from here you can get into the router log, (something that cannot be erased from Internet Explorer)

If it is not a linksys then it will have a different default address, but the process will be the same.

Ric
06-20-2006, 12:39 AM
ok, workin on it! THANKS

Ric
06-20-2006, 12:46 AM
mine is linksys and I did what you said, but I can still access myspace.com in Explorer....? I knew better than to think I could pull this off :confused:

erkoehler
06-20-2006, 12:51 AM
mine is linksys and I did what you said, but I can still access myspace.com in Explorer....? I knew better than to think I could pull this off :confused:

Are you still signed in as the administrator?

Ric
06-20-2006, 01:11 AM
I think so since it is letting me make changes

hell I replied to you a few minutes ago and realized I was no longer on line!!!! I went clicking around in there and kicked myself out real good!

I hardwired to the router and got into the settings again and un-did the wrong I had done

all that and I still have not successfully blocked a url

PendO
06-20-2006, 02:21 AM

hell I replied to you a few minutes ago and realized I was no longer on line!!!! I went clicking around in there and kicked myself out real good!

I hardwired to the router and got into the settings again and un-did the wrong I had done

Ric ... I tried to follow my instructions and did not get it to work either ... it sounded so easy, should have known better ... I was able to block off all my computers from the internet ... which was nice, b/c then I had to find the reset button and reset all my network settings so that I could get back online.

Leroy
06-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Internet Explorer has the ability to block sites and is very easy also.....and I had the same results as you guys!!!!

justinlkgb
06-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Does your child have a cell phone? Seem to be that you can get just about anything on those things now a day as well. Just throwing it out there. Ad a boy to you for keeping your foot down. Good Luck. Hope it doesn't take away too much time from the water!!

phecksel
06-20-2006, 11:23 AM

I'm wondering if your radio buttons are correctly set. I can check when I get home tonight for my setup. Assuming I get my old router working again, going to upgrade the firmware to aftermarket, which is supposed to have stronger controls available.

To save a slot on cellphones... Our kids do not have cell phones and will not get one. One of the things kids are doing today is downloading mosquito ring tone, which adults can not hear. Friend is a teacher and discovered when a circle of kids in her class all simultaneously turn towards one student, he has a cell phone turned on, and it has the mosquito ring tone.

Ric
06-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Ric ... I tried to follow my instructions and did not get it to work either ... it sounded so easy, should have known better ... I was able to block off all my computers from the internet ... which was nice, b/c then I had to find the reset button and reset all my network settings so that I could get back online.
I still have myself kicked off of my own wireless this morning :mad:

I dont even know how to reset but I have my wep key and my passphrase and the only way my router will work for me right now is hardwired

I am going to have to ask a 10 year old how to get back onto the internet and then simply surrender to their powers...

PendO
06-20-2006, 01:54 PM
I still have myself kicked off of my own wireless this morning :mad:

I dont even know how to reset but I have my wep key and my passphrase and the only way my router will work for me right now is hardwired

I am going to have to ask a 10 year old how to get back onto the internet and then simply surrender to their powers...

I had to hold the reset for 10 seconds with a paperclip ... there is a hole on the bottom of my router with the word "reset" next to it ... guess I will need an IT pro to do it too.

Ric
06-20-2006, 04:40 PM
once you reset, were you able to log onto the web wirelessly?

do you guys to a secure wireless connection, or do you leave your wireless router unsecured?

I had to hold the reset for 10 seconds with a paperclip ... there is a hole on the bottom of my router with the word "reset" next to it ... guess I will need an IT pro to do it too.

phecksel
06-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Try and save a slot or two here
I checked my settings for the access restrictions
Policy is enabled
Policy name is "no myspace"
I entered the kids mac address in edit list of PC's
Allow internet access
Everyday
24 hours
Here's the critical parts, not only block address www.myspace.com {might consider adding ringo.com too} but block myspace by keyword.

Problem is myspace uses subdomain(?) names and www.myspace.com only applies on that site, doesn't pick up mail.myspace or login.myspace, or any other variation.

Protecting wireless. Disable SSID broadcast, enable WEP or even better WAP. My wireless is set to only accept my laptops mac address
Wireless tab
Wireless MAC Filter
enable MAC filter
Permit only PC's listed.

86Craft
06-20-2006, 11:28 PM
yes, it's my a/c. It only has another day to go. Tell to bid high and bid often :) Works great, I tested it before listing. 25,000 Btu is a big A/C unit. Cooled my 1,200 sqft house, although getting the cool air back at the front of the house was tough.

Thanks! Yes I jacked it up a little, but I thought the horse was dead :)
Any who, my co-worker got his dinosour working. He was fired up about yours though, as he is picking his son up at metro-air tomorrow and it would of worked out for the pick up. :guitar:

Ric
06-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Well I completely kicked myself off my own router last week and no reset would get me back online at all.....

ok after talking to linksys tech support for a LONG while (I think her name was malibu) here's what I got:
You can block a few URL's like Pendo's page shows above but you must do a couple of extra steps. (all on the same page, thankfully!)

When you open that administration page in pendo's post, you need to name your "filter" or "rule" and click to "enable" that rule before you save the changes.

You can add url's to block all day long and save them too but they won't be blocked until you name the rule and enable it.

This is the part I dont know if it's related or not:
In that same admin page, you can edit the list of pc's to be used on the router...

You can block use of certain pc's from certain times of day or days of the week etc.

What I'm not sure of is if the router needs those pc addresses saved in order to block the url. maleeboo walked me thru adding the addresses of our laptops in the same call so that's why I'm not sure that step is necessary.

miss boo was quite helpful, which brings me to another subject Beau and I discussed. I may be the last to figure this out but since all our tech support calls are going to a tent in india, there is a protocal that those techs go thru.

The trick is when you finally get a human on the phone, (be nice now..) ask a few questions that she cannot answer or that throw her off her scripted call with you.

This gets you to the next level of techs right away and while still heavily accented individuals, they are sharp and can actually have a conversation with you rather than reading from a page regarding when to breathe in and when to breathe out...

This tip should lower your frustration should you need to endure a tech support phone call like I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phecksel
06-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Well I completely kicked myself off my own router last week and no reset would get me back online at all.....

ok after talking to linksys tech support for a LONG while (I think her name was malibu) here's what I got:
You can block a few URL's like Pendo's page shows above but you must do a couple of extra steps. (all on the same page, thankfully!)

I learned quite a bit in the last few days, after my router died. Aftermarket firmware is available giving you tons more ability. But it is router dependent. Linksys wrt54g V5 & 6, basically suck. wrt54gL is the old version 4.

The best way to limit access times is to deny all access then allow specific times. Before it died, limiting access to all sites with "myspace" as a key word was the answer.

Now for the best part, in spite of the oldest fully understanding myspace rules, no more then 30 minutes and only accessing from the computer upstairs, decided to use the next door neighbors computer. Oh is she in a ton of trouble. Next door neigher was not pleased, and actually had a bigger impact then we did. Myspace is now going to be blocked (in both houses). I haven't decided if her account is going to be deleted or just not accessed. Also haven't decided how to handle the youngest's account, she's always played by the rules...

SKI*MC
06-26-2006, 12:07 PM
our school blocked myspace. But we could still get around it by just typing myspace.com in the URL.

phecksel
06-26-2006, 06:05 PM
our school blocked myspace. But we could still get around it by just typing myspace.com in the URL.
I discovered the kids were still getting in when I blocked www.myspace.com. Blocking the keyword myspace solved the problem.

CHILIDOGGER
06-28-2006, 12:33 PM
$#%&%^ MySpace.com

This guy is probably thinking the same thing.

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=7F710484-5201-42E7-934B-D86CF9E6B65F

dog paw
06-28-2006, 01:07 PM
$#%&%^ MySpace.com

This guy is probably thinking the same thing.

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=7F710484-5201-42E7-934B-D86CF9E6B65F

Thats funny! I like this line...

The girls didn't get much because the victim had forgotten his wallet. They let him go, unharmed, and he called police.

Shhuuurrre he "forgot" it hehe moron got what he deserved. I dont envy you parents that have to deal with that crap. My kids would find there fingers superglued together :D You think Mr My Space has nightmares of parents killing him in his sleep???