PDA

View Full Version : Trick ski advice for ONE trick ski starts, etc..

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-14-2006, 09:43 AM
I was out skiing last night and I wanted to try the tricks again. But I really wanna try ONE trick as I dont like the feeling of two trick skis, just as I dont like to regular skis. I feel much more in control and comfortable slalom. I am actually quite clumbsy on two skis anymore.
I wanted to try to start on one trick ski, so I tried it twice and failed, and successfully gave myself two large nasal enemas with pollen filled lake superior water. :o I figured there must be some techniques I should ask about before I try again. So whats the scoop? how does it differ from starting on a regular slalom ski? I noticed that I was a bit unstable as there is no fin on the ski, so its a bit wobbly. ANy ideas? :confused: all infor is welcome and greatly appreciated! :wavey: :)

wiltok
06-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I know what you are saying. I learned by first dropping a ski - a good way to learn is to ride backwards on two, drop the ski, put your foot in the rear toe, and then turn around forward. It's a fun way to learn - and gets you familar with riding backwards on one ski (and turning around). Once you fall - and you will :), then try to get up on one.

I think the key for getting up is to make sure your weight is exactly centered over the ski. Keep the tip up, stay crouched until the ski is on top of water, and then slowly stand up. It definitely seems to take a lot of strength - but keep at it!!

6ballsisall
06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
UMP use your super powers dude! :wavey:

I am just learning this myself and the only advice I could give is the boat driver doesn't need to give near the go power out of the hull as compared to when you are on your slalom ski. Slalom skiing I am Double boot but on a Trick I haven't been able to get up both feet in. Let your rear leg drag quite a while until you are stable and then drop it in the stirup. I am sure more experience riders will have better info to add soon!

east tx skier
06-14-2006, 11:01 AM
UMP, put the wing back on. ;)

I don't even think I could ride two skis anymore, much less one or two trick skis. I just moved our cypress garden wooden tandem tricks to a different rack this weekend. That's about all I can do with them.

BrianM
06-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Jeff is right on. Most people seem to start out on a single trick dragging a foot. I get up with both feet in and kind of do a wakeboard type start though. Turn the ski sideways then as soon as I get a little pressure turn it straight. As said above you do not need much boat throttle.

jraben8
06-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I would definately drag the back foot and don't stand up too soon.

DanC
06-14-2006, 11:49 AM
I drag a foot and try to get as far forward on the ski (leg bent of course) and still keep the ski tip up.
I never could get up with both feet in the bindings.

tex
06-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Drag the foot!

06-14-2006, 11:55 AM
UMP, put the wing back on. ;)

ALright you *%$&#ers! you gotta make up your minds, wing on or wing off? :uglyhamme :D

Ya know, I thought that when you conquered deep starts on a slalom with double boots, you could pretty much do any starts. was I WRONG! I fought with the wakeboard again last nite too. I tried 5 times to get up on that. no dice..... I finally quit cuz I didnt wanna spend all me energy, I wanted to slalom ski too.

Hey, I am not *****in! its all good, its all a fun expereince. Its just great to be out there. I am sure I will get the trick and the wakeboard, but it will just take some time. :) I still have my ears open....

DanC
06-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Ya know, I thought that when you conquered deep starts on a slalom with double boots, you could pretty much do any starts. was I WRONG! I fought with the wakeboard again last nite too. I tried 5 times to get up on that. no dice..... I finally quit cuz I didnt wanna spend all me energy, I wanted to slalom ski too.
I still have my ears open....

Just guessing based upon your background (remember I steered you right on your deep water slalom start :D ) that you are trying to get up on the wakeboard just like you get up on a slalom ski. That's a tough way to get up. Make sure your knees are compressed against your chest and your butt is down on the board. Your legs should have nothing to do with getting up until the board is up on top of the water. I tell kids to pretend they are a frog squatting on a log ( or taking a dump in the woods). Guys have a tougher time because they try to muscle it up. Be more passive, keep the handle low and stay down on the board.

peason
06-14-2006, 12:24 PM
UMP - be careful with dragging one foot. I tried this for the first time 2 summers ago and the ski took off - and I pulled the heck out of my hamstring. Have not even attempted to trick ski since.

M-Funf
06-14-2006, 12:28 PM
I've done slalom trick for quite a while, and I've always used the drag one foot method.

I bend my ski leg somewhere in-between slalom deep water start and wakeboard start, and drag my loose leg way behind, keeping my weight a bit more forward than you might think. When the trick starts coming up, I straighten up and bring my drag leg up to the ski.

Works for me, might work for you.

Oh, and I put the fin back on 8p

Kevin 89MC
06-14-2006, 12:47 PM
I get up dragging a foot also. 'Course I do that slaloming too. I can't imagine getting up on a slalom trick with both feet in, unless you do a wakeboard start like someone mentioned. Tricking is all about body balance, there's obviously no fin to press against the water for lateral stability. I can get up, and go in & out of the wakes, and that's about it for slalom. Double tricks are so much easier, and more fun for this novice tricker.
Good luck. Wear your cape next time, it'll help! :headbang: Then be sure to post some pics! :D

06-14-2006, 03:06 PM
lots of good advice here! :D I will keep trying. and I will put the wing back on before I try again.... 8p

Jorski
06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
On the wakeboard, I know it seems wrong, but it works to have the board under your but, with the board sideways, the leading edge (toe side) of the board will be naturally a little higher than the trailing edge - but it will be UNDERWATER. Then get a GENTLE start from your driver.

If you slowly stand up just like a beginner's two ski start you will pop right up. you will know that you are doing it correctly when there is almost zero effort or strain.

Once on top of the water pull the handle to the hip that you wish to lead with.

Most people fail because they put the board out in front of them and think they can resist the pull of the boat. There is just too much surface area pushing too much water.

betsy&david Harrison
06-15-2006, 02:16 PM
I get up dragging a foot also. 'Course I do that slaloming too. I can't imagine getting up on a slalom trick with both feet in, unless you do a wakeboard start like someone mentioned. Tricking is all about body balance, there's obviously no fin to press against the water for lateral stability. I can get up, and go in & out of the wakes, and that's about it for slalom. Double tricks are so much easier, and more fun for this novice tricker.
Good luck. Wear your cape next time, it'll help! :headbang: Then be sure to post some pics! :D
Very interesting. I can only get up on my trick with both feet in and then I can a few tricks and can cross the wakes like a slalom ski. I just eat it hard and I am tired of hurtin from those falls. I'm too old for that s#$%

wakesport
06-18-2006, 12:18 PM
I start with both feet in. Stay crunched. Try a shorter line length and also try putting the rope up higher (tower or pole).

wiltok
06-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Do any of you do backwards start on 2 trick skis? I am been doing it for a few years - pretty cool. Boat in neutral with line tight, flip around, drivers hits it (gently) when you dunk your head underwater. Ride up and away...

06-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Do any of you do backwards start on 2 trick skis? I am been doing it for a few years - pretty cool. Boat in neutral with line tight, flip around, drivers hits it (gently) when you dunk your head underwater. Ride up and away...
That sounds really cool!!! :headbang: :woohoo:

tex
06-18-2006, 11:15 PM
i can also do them on my jumpers and slalom.

erkoehler
06-18-2006, 11:17 PM
When you start backwards on the trick skis, do you just lay flat on your stomach or what?

Kevin 89MC
06-19-2006, 03:17 PM
A buddy of mine can do it no problem. Not exactly sure how he does it. I think he dunks his head pretty far over, so guess you could say he's kinda on his stomach for a bit. He's awesome to watch on a slalom trick. He has even skied on canoe paddles. Got that on video. Pretty cool!

chudson
06-20-2006, 05:56 PM
For the backward two ski start,tell the driver when you are over to put the boat in and out of gear to keep the rope tight so when you wave the skis back and forth they "hit it" Then while you are facing forward have the driver take the slack out of the rope then you take a deep breath and you roll over face down and put the rope handle behind your knees, and you try to keep the skis up as high as you can and have as wide of stance with your feet as you can. When you feel stable wave your skis back and forth then hold on. Did it the first time I tried along time ago but I've added a few pounds since then so it's not a simple. It comes easy to some and others it's a little more difficult. If you have the time to practice in a pool or the lake just try rolling over face down with the skis on and try to stay boyent, that seems to be the biggest problem I've seen is it can be hard to remain face down without bobing around and on to your side again. Hope this is all clear. But you wanna try something a little harder after you master that try a one ski out backwards, that give you hemeroids

wiltok
06-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Chudson pretty much nailed it -one other tip - have the driver give a moderate amount of throttle. You do not want them to nail it - you will go over the front of the skis (actually back over the back of the skis :). Nice easy start...

chudson
06-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Whoops sorry that's right, a slower start is best. Also it's pretty cool seeing the peoples reaction in the boat that has never seen a backwards start before!

chudson
06-21-2006, 09:44 AM
When you start backwards on the trick skis, do you just lay flat on your stomach or what?
Don't lay flat on the water, you should be in a fetal position face down with knees tucked as best as you can with the handle behind your knees. Sorry about all the seperate postings it all should be clear as mud know right!

06-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Whoops sorry that's right, a slower start is best. Also it's pretty cool seeing the peoples reaction in the boat that has never seen a backwards start before!
How can you see their reactions when you are facing the other way??? 8p :cool:

chudson
06-21-2006, 10:31 AM
How can you see their reactions when you are facing the other way??? 8p :cool:
I meant the people in the boat behind me, or is it the boat in front of me as I'm skiing backwards, I don't know I get all turned around when doing that.

06-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Dude, I am just funnin ya! I know what you mean. I am just being a smart arse! :) :D

chudson
06-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Dude, I am just funnin ya! I know what you mean. I am just being a smart arse! :) :D
Yea I know no problem, so have you had any luck with the slalom trick.

06-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Yea I know no problem, so have you had any luck with the slalom trick.
Nope, I havent tried since. I been concentrating on learning to ride the saucer lately....

chudson
06-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Nope, I havent tried since. I been concentrating on learning to ride the saucer lately....
Yea that's kind of a /lay on your belly elbows on the saucer/ take off and drag your knees up on top/then hands flat on the saucer/then bring up one foot while neeling/then your other foot. Or that's one way to do it. Simple as that "huh", well not really but then if it was easy everybody would be doin it and that's what makes this so much fun!
Goodluck!!!

06-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Yea that's kind of a /lay on your belly elbows on the saucer/ take off and drag your knees up on top/then hands flat on the saucer/then bring up one foot while neeling/then your other foot. Or that's one way to do it. Simple as that "huh", well not really but then if it was easy everybody would be doin it and that's what makes this so much fun!
Goodluck!!!thats how I get up standing on it, just like you described. I like it so far. The 180s are a challenge...

chudson
06-21-2006, 06:11 PM
As you're leaning away from the boat goin forward you should lean away goin sideways and going backwards, Just maintain the same axis all the way around, and practicing the handle exchange on dry ground is good too.