PDA

View Full Version : Drive belt replacement

bwhite
06-12-2006, 11:47 PM
I had my drive belt on my boat (1995 PS 190) snap while on the river last weekend (it really sucks to get a pull from a john boat).

I am trying to find what the replacement belt is but haven't found any place online that can tell me. Got a belt from the MC dealer in town that didn't even come close to fitting but they had said it might not.

I guess what I am looking for is a make and part number if anyone has an idea.

Thanks,

Brian

jimmer2880
06-13-2006, 05:51 AM
www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com)

Call them, they will know exactly which belt you need. They simply can't be beat for customer service.

east tx skier
06-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Is it the water pump belt? If so, take the old belt to NAPA or another reputable auto parts store. They can match it. Skidim is incredible, but figured I'd save you the trouble of having it shipped if it's just the water pump belt. Had the mechanic at the Shell station down the street swap mine out for $10 last year. No more screach at start up.

bwhite
06-14-2006, 11:16 AM
My problem is the that the belt pretty much disintegrated so I couldn't even tell how long it is supposed to be and no part number was on what was left.

I will give Skidim a call and see if they know what I need.

east tx skier
06-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Wish I still had the box mine came in. I just took the boat with me to the auto parts store and had them look at it. Vince or Richard at skidim will have what you need.

Footin
06-14-2006, 11:28 AM
I think our motors are the same, I have a 94 with a TBI 350. The Gates (Napa) part number is 7425 (Napa 257425)

bwhite
06-14-2006, 11:37 AM
It looks like the Skidim website is down right now so I will run check NAPA.

Kevin 89MC
06-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Measure it with a piece of rope, then go to your local auto parts store. Buy the one you think it is, then one size smaller & larger, provided they'll take back the two you don't use. That will save you some trips & guessing.

bwhite
06-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Replaced the belt and tested Friday. I replaced the impeller while I was in the neighborhood. Everything seems to be working great. Had a touch of a squeal to begin with but about five minutes of idling in the yard got rid of it. The oil looks a little worn from a touch of overheating when the original belt popped but I will replace that in the next week or two.

Thanks to everyone that replied and helped me on this!

erkoehler
06-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Glad to hear your back on the water :dance: Did your old impeller have any pieces missing?

bwhite
06-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Yeh, the impeller was missing pieces on almost every fin. It had been probably 4 years since I had changed it though. I haven't been on the river so much these last 4 years so I didn't think it would be as worn as it was. Of course the popped fan belt and subsequent overheating could have easily caused the final failure of the impeller.

Should I be looking in something for pieces?