PDA

View Full Version : Lights Out

jeffrpod
06-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Hopefully I found the only issue with my new X2. When I turn on either the NAV lights or the Interior lights - the breakers immediatly trip. When I reset the breakers, the lights come on for 1 second, then go out. Any ideas and if this is something I can fix or will I need to call my dealer?

Thanks!

Footin
06-12-2006, 10:27 PM
My guess is the power wire is nicked or a something has poked though it and now is grounded causing the breaker to trip. It can take awhile to trace down any electrical problem. Take it to the dealer, thats what the warranty is for.

bcampbe7
06-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Sounds like you have a short somewhere. I would take it back to the dealer if it is not too much trouble for you. You should be their top priority.

Have you added anything electrical?

Someone should be along shortly to give some advice on some things to check before taking it to the dealer, but if it was me and I just bought a new X2, the dealer would be fixing it.

EDIT:

Footin beat me to it...

Workin' 4 Toys
06-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Dealer repair....

Question though.
How many hours are on it, and when did this problem show up?

Hoosier Bob
06-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Do not rule out bad or overloaded breaker!

jeffrpod
06-13-2006, 08:00 AM
I haven't added anything to the boat electrical or otherwise. When I got back to the dock yesterday I had 5 hours, and this was the first time I tried to use the lights.

I'll call my dealer, but they are far away, might not make it up here so quick. Any suggestions for things I can try and fix myself would be great.

Thanks!

jeffrpod
06-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Well - my dealer came to do the initial service, but did not fix the lights. I haven't been able to reach them to find out why, so in the mean time any suggestions from the group that I can try would be appreciated. I'm starting to get a little P.O.'d about not having any lights on my brand new boat...

Some one suggested the breaker might be shot - what do I need and how do I replace it?

Thanks!
J

DanC
06-23-2006, 12:49 PM
You say it happens with the Nav lights or the interior lights? What is common between the two on your boat? You say breakers. Hard to imagine two circuit breakers being bad. I would work around the circuit breaker panel and look for bad wiring, start pulling wires off connectors to isolate the area of the problem.

If you really suspect the breaker, disconnect the suspect unit and swap in one from one of the other working circuits (same amperage) before you go buy a new one.

erkoehler
06-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Well - my dealer came to do the initial service, but did not fix the lights. I haven't been able to reach them to find out why, so in the mean time any suggestions from the group that I can try would be appreciated. I'm starting to get a little P.O.'d about not having any lights on my brand new boat...

Some one suggested the breaker might be shot - what do I need and how do I replace it?

Thanks!
J

Be careful with the work that you do to the boat. You don't want to mess with your warranty.

jeffrpod
06-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Good point about two seperate circuits being bad. Also good point about voiding my warranty. It just sucks because I live on the lake and I've got to be home by sundown because of no lights.

The courtesy lights work and the Anchor light works, but when I flip either of those toggles to the down position, those circuits trips. What's supposed to happen when you flip the Courtesy light switch to the down position? I'm guessing when Anchor/NAV light switch is flipped to the down position, the side nav lights go on as well as the dash - correct?

DanC
06-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Good point about two seperate circuits being bad. Also good point about voiding my warranty. It just sucks because I live on the lake and I've got to be home by sundown because of no lights.

The courtesy lights work and the Anchor light works, but when I flip either of those toggles to the down position, those circuits trips. What's supposed to happen when you flip the Courtesy light switch to the down position? I'm guessing when Anchor/NAV light switch is flipped to the down position, the side nav lights go on as well as the dash - correct?

Your Courtesy light switch is a three position? :confused: my '03 only has an up position, don't know what the down position would be for. Yes when the Anchor/Nav light switch is down the dash, side markers and tower mounted anchor light go on.

1boarder
06-23-2006, 08:56 PM
The down side of the courtesy light switch is lights in the storage compartments beside the motor as well as the normal lights. If it trips when you move to the ancor position, check the wires that run through your tower. It is possible that they have been pinched whe folding/unfolding the tower. My wires run through the drivers side front support. Although, this doesnt explain why the breaker would be tripping when using the courtesy lights in the down position.

One other thought would be that the three way switches have alot of wires that plug in the back of the switch and one may have not been on good and may be shorting in the down position (maybe even between the two switches). This may not help, but it is worth a look before driving to the dealer.

rektek
07-04-2006, 12:59 AM
disconnect power consumers one at a time until the short stops.
I'm betting pinched- chaffed wires to the tower mounted nav light if it has one.

Jeff :woohoo:

erkoehler
07-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Ok, for the last time, before you take anything apart, realize that your voiding your warranty.

With that said, do you still want/need to know what the 3 position switch should do?