PDA

View Full Version : Engine stopped running

Tenderfoot
06-12-2006, 02:05 PM
I have a 2005 PS197 and the engine stopped on me while cruising back for lunch. It would not restart after that. Verified spark with a timing gun and pulled the fuel pump to see if the filter was clogged. (Half tank of gas left). I have seen the threads on the kiss of death running out of gas leading to a fuel pump failure. I did run out of gas last year as my sender read a false high. (Boat was new then so did not realize it was off that much) The sender has since failed when attempting to recalibrate. You can here the fuel bump humming when you turn the key. Would it still do that after failure? It has been over 50 hours of run time since out of gas, are the failures immediate or could there be a delayed event? It is at the dealer in queue to work on it, but if the pump is the problem I know I can replace since I had it out once.

Also, when towing the 3 hours to my dealer the gear oil in my trailer bearing hub went milky. Anyone change our the fluid on these?

ntidsl
06-12-2006, 02:16 PM
oh brother...mines in the shop right now for the same thing...did you find plasic chips in your pump??? I did! I demanded a new pump, filter, line and tank...they sent the wrong line, then forgot the pad which is glue to the bottom of the tank, then the kill switch went bad while in the shop...basically been 2 weeks of fumbling...

my recommendation...take it to a reliable dealers after you look around...if I wouldnt have founf the plastic shavings in my tank nobody woul dhave ever said anything...look around the tank, clean it out, check the pump good, then put everything back together real good and check your pressure after priming your fuel system for fuel pressure...then take it to the dealer, have all your info organized so they cant tell you that you had water in your tank or that its your fault for running the pump dry once...

there is significant historicaly data showing that something is wrong with the fuel pump system...and its not just MC...there are so many things that could go wrong...thats the nice thing about the diagnostics that your dealer can do...but I would do some probing yourself first...

good luck!

bigmac
06-12-2006, 02:43 PM
I have a 2005 PS197 and the engine stopped on me while cruising back for lunch. It would not restart after that. Verified spark with a timing gun and pulled the fuel pump to see if the filter was clogged. (Half tank of gas left). I have seen the threads on the kiss of death running out of gas leading to a fuel pump failure. I did run out of gas last year as my sender read a false high. (Boat was new then so did not realize it was off that much) The sender has since failed when attempting to recalibrate. You can here the fuel bump humming when you turn the key. Would it still do that after failure? It has been over 50 hours of run time since out of gas, are the failures immediate or could there be a delayed event? It is at the dealer in queue to work on it, but if the pump is the problem I know I can replace since I had it out once.

Also, when towing the 3 hours to my dealer the gear oil in my trailer bearing hub went milky. Anyone change our the fluid on these?

According to MYMC, the in-tank fuel pump required fuel for cooling it. If it runs out of gas, the pump overheat can damage the pump's impeller and it won't pump gas, and the engine does what your's is doing, and it can indeed be a delayed event. The motor from the pump may be fine, so when you turn the key on, you hear the pump spinning, but with the damaged impeller it won't pump. I believe that if this is the case, the pump needs to be replaced. One diagnostic maneuver is to check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester that has an attachment allowing it to fit on the Schrader valve, the bicycle looking valve on the feed line just before the pressure regulator at the back of the manifold.

Note that to replace the in-tank pump, you need a special tool (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2369&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=fuel+line) to disconnect the fuel lines.

ntidsl
06-12-2006, 02:47 PM
you can get that special tool for $1.49 at any auto store...its a 1/4" fuel line line disconnect...its 1/4" trust me...sometone told me 3/8" and it didnt work but 1/4" work perfect!!! switching the pump will work as long as nothing else is wrong...just check your tank good for debris or water

ntidsl
06-12-2006, 09:18 PM
no other help for this poor guy?

86Craft
06-12-2006, 10:04 PM
no other help for this poor guy?

Yeah, Let the dealer take care of this, and the trailer.
What is the warranty on a 2005 anyway? Is it bumper to bumper like a car for a period of time? My lord for what these things sticker for, it seems like it would be 5 years, or 400 hours. Hope you get your boat back soon Foot!

Tenderfoot
06-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I did find some rotocast shavings that were probably from the gas tank when cutting the openings. But they were the size of a nickel so figured they could not get past the filter to harm anything. Also, figured the pressure fitting would confirm or clear the pump but did not have that gage. At this point I'll probably let the dealer confirm since if it happens to be engine related my Indmar warranty is still in place. If the fuel pump I'll push for coverage since I'm not even a year out of warranty.

vogelm1
06-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I did find some rotocast shavings that were probably from the gas tank when cutting the openings. But they were the size of a nickel so figured they could not get past the filter to harm anything. Also, figured the pressure fitting would confirm or clear the pump but did not have that gage. At this point I'll probably let the dealer confirm since if it happens to be engine related my Indmar warranty is still in place. If the fuel pump I'll push for coverage since I'm not even a year out of warranty.

Please keep us posted on this one, as we'll all be interested to see how this turns out...also to help us learn more about the typical problems we have out there. Thanks and good luck -

ntidsl
06-13-2006, 08:29 AM
I'll let you know this...start drinking heavily...they replaced the tank, pump, filter kill switch and now don't know whats going on...the dealer called and left a message last night that something is seriously wrong...I have 10 hours on the boat and dont want the thing back!!!

the plasic shavings in your tank...if there are smaller ones they can get into the pump...the filter only filters the bottom half of the tank...my shavings were wedged everywhere in the pump...evryone tells me that there is no way they can get into the fuel lines...well almost no way they then say...the MC indmar guy says he almost guarantees the plastic shavings arent into the lines...hmmm..almost...well I almost have a boat I could ski behind...

I hope you have better luck than I!!! I really do

bigmac
06-13-2006, 08:36 AM
I'll let you know this...start drinking heavily...they replaced the tank, pump, filter kill switch and now don't know whats going on...the dealer called and left a message last night that something is seriously wrong...I have 10 hours on the boat and dont want the thing back!!!

the plasic shavings in your tank...if there are smaller ones they can get into the pump...the filter only filters the bottom half of the tank...my shavings were wedged everywhere in the pump...evryone tells me that there is no way they can get into the fuel lines...well almost no way they then say...the MC indmar guy says he almost guarantees the plastic shavings arent into the lines...hmmm..almost...well I almost have a boat I could ski behind...

I hope you have better luck than I!!! I really do

My fuel pump failed with 10 hours on the boat, and upon dissection, it was due to plastic shavings in the tank. My dealer stepped right up, though, called in a mechanic from home on Sunday July 3rd, who diagnosed it and they pulled a fuel pump from a boat on the sales floor to replace it with.

sizzler
06-13-2006, 08:37 AM
i had to replace my pump this year....380 ,and i fitted it myself..and yes ,you do need the special tool for the fuel lines........there seems to be a bad-design with these pumps

ntidsl
06-13-2006, 09:12 AM
just got word from my dealer this morning who after 2 weeks cant get my boat to run...mind you its a 2005!!! After a complete computer check of the boat it seems not not only plastic chips in the tank, not only the pump, not only the kill switch is bad, but everything else in the boat is coming up bad...there are 7 things on the diagnostic check that looks like it needs to be replaced!!! yippeee!!!

MarkP
06-13-2006, 09:29 AM
just got word from my dealer this morning who after 2 weeks cant get my boat to run...mind you its a 2005!!! After a complete computer check of the boat it seems not not only plastic chips in the tank, not only the pump, not only the kill switch is bad, but everything else in the boat is coming up bad...there are 7 things on the diagnostic check that looks like it needs to be replaced!!! yippeee!!! The whole boat??????

ntidsl
06-13-2006, 09:36 AM
well the whole computer system and possibly engine...I tell ya...this boat is screwed and i am too...its mid june...havent been on a course in a week again...and havent skied behing my boat in over a month!!! just got great coaching from Jodi Fisher and cant use it!!!

MarkP
06-13-2006, 09:38 AM
That stinks. Id start looking around for a pull:mad:

6ballsisall
06-13-2006, 09:38 AM
well the whole computer system and possibly engine...I tell ya...this boat is screwed and i am too...its mid june...havent been on a course in a week again...and havent skied behing my boat in over a month!!! just got great coaching from Jodi Fisher and cant use it!!!

That royally sucks!! You kept that boat immaculate so it certainly wasn't owners neglect that messed it up! :(

ntidsl
06-13-2006, 09:52 AM
well look at that..theres my pull!!! hey jeff!

6ballsisall
06-13-2006, 09:53 AM
well look at that..theres my pull!!! hey jeff!

Anytime dude! If you can handle skiing behind an X series boat ;)

ntidsl
06-13-2006, 09:54 AM
same hull as mine bud!!!

6ballsisall
06-13-2006, 09:56 AM
same hull as mine bud!!!

I know :headbang: :headbang:

JimN
06-13-2006, 10:30 AM
ntisdl- has the dealer even thought of offering a loaner to,.....oh, never mind. Have them swap the ECM with another boat of same or similar model. When they do this, they can also check the ECM harness and plugs. If your boat threw 7 codes, it almost sounds like it was swamped, submerged or the battery connections were reversed and the key was turned on. Water shouldn't be able to get into the connectors but if it was a team boat, almost anything is possible, I guess.

If they were to hook up an air line with low pressure to the Shrader valve on the fuel line, maybe they could see if there's anything downstream from the fuel pump by trying to blow back toward the tank. The only thing left (if there is actually debris in the fuel line) would be from the Shrader valve to the injectors.

ntidsl
06-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Dude Why Dont You Come Up Here And Help Me Out...lol...isnt That All Crazy??? At Least I Don't Care Anymore...

JimN
06-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Ask the dealer if the mechanics have been to MC training. If not, have them call and get some advice from MC technical and suggest the things I listed in my last post. Anyone who can't get a boat to run in two weeks is either not trying, isn't spending any time on it or doesn't know what they're doing.

ntidsl
06-13-2006, 10:54 AM
They Have Been Mc Trained And They Are On The Phone Constantly With Mc Tech Guys...its Haunted Id Say...

JimN
06-13-2006, 11:03 AM
You don't know if they unplugged the crank sensors, do you? I saw that give some people real fits when I went down for on-water diagnostics. The sensors were reversed and the motor will not fire at all if is thinks it's cranking backward. It shouldn't be this hard- after they clear out the fuel system or bypass the original one, they should remove the fuel rail, attach a different injector and crank it. If they see one injector delivering fuel, they should know what to do.

ntidsl
06-13-2006, 11:13 AM
They Got It Started For A Minute Or 2 A Couple Times But It Keeps Shutting Down So It Can't Be That

rodltg2
06-13-2006, 12:09 PM
when mine was going through these same problems, they were all stumped as well. my fuel pump failed 3 times. on the fourth trip they finally discovered that it was the main wiring harness ( whatever that is) . anyway it took over week to get it replaced. luckliy i had my 93 start and stripes back up. hey you can do that! buy an older mc to get you by. anyway, maybe you can call my service center and they can be of some help. im sure they rememebr my boat. at least me... :rant:

ntidsl
06-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Like I Said I Dont Care Anymore!!! I Told Everyone Just To Keep The Boat...lol...i Dont Want It!

erkoehler
06-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Make me a killer deal on it, I'll buy it when its fixed.....

6ballsisall
06-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Make me a killer deal on it, I'll buy it when its fixed.....

Hey get it line jack arse!! I am first!!! :D :headbang:

ntidsl
06-13-2006, 01:14 PM
If I could make a deal on it I would but I am not about to lose thousands of dollars to get rid of a a boat I did nothing but work on and clean...sorry...ill get a lawyer if it comes to that...but if you want to make a reasonable offer I'll look at it...I have faith that MC is going to do something about it...sooner or later...thats why I am not freakin out...I played by their rules so far...now they have to make good on a promise they made to me!

6ballsisall
06-13-2006, 01:19 PM
If I could make a deal on it I would but I am not about to lose thousands of dollars to get rid of a a boat I did nothing but work on and clean...sorry...ill get a lawyer if it comes to that...but if you want to make a reasonable offer I'll look at it...I have faith that MC is going to do something about it...sooner or later...thats why I am not freakin out...I played by their rules so far...now they have to make good on a promise they made to me!

If you need a lawyer for it I know of one whom I am using right now :rolleyes:

Just kidding! I am sure MC will take care of the issue, they are the fazzizle snizzle. :headbang:

ntidsl
06-13-2006, 01:25 PM
fazzizle??? dude you have been hanging around snoop dog too much!!!

6ballsisall
06-13-2006, 01:26 PM
fazzizle??? dude you have been hanging around snoop dog too much!!!

TRU DAT my brutha! :wavey:

ntidsl
06-18-2006, 09:05 PM
any update on your boat tender?

Tenderfoot
06-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Just got word on Friday that it was the fuel pump. Need to ship one in from MC, 5-10 days. Hopefully be back on the water this weekend.

rodltg2
06-19-2006, 12:39 PM
i could have diagnosed that one ???

i just dont get why mc doesnt take care of this continious fuel pump problem. dont they themselves get tired of it...

ntidsl
06-19-2006, 12:44 PM
tenderfoot...you may want to ask for a new tank too...or at least have them clean the old one...

Tenderfoot
06-19-2006, 12:48 PM
MC did agree to cover it, so they must recognize the issue and are standing behind thier product. The dealer even offered a used pump to get me on the water until the new one comes in. So that has been positive on MC and their dealer's support. I plan to probe the service manager once the pump is recieved to see if there is anything different in the new part. Maybe something has been done to improved the pump.

ntidsl
06-19-2006, 12:57 PM
nope...and they dont make that part or the tank...its all assembled when they get it...I'd like to know how many percentage-wise that have gone bad...in 04 is was a mad house of bad pumps because of the stabil and some parts that didnt get a long with stabil...05 seems to be a different problem...