PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating Air Temp & Water Temp in 2004 197

BuoyChaser
06-12-2006, 12:10 PM
i was told by PerfectPass that the air temperature and water temperature built into the center digital dial (same where hour meter/depth is displayed) is not controlled by perfectpass, but uses the paddlewheel for water temp and i'm not sure about the air temp...

these values are way off, any suggestions for ways to calibrate...would really be interested in getting REAL #'s rather than 10deg over...seems like everyone I talk to there's are inaccurate...

skeeler
06-12-2006, 12:13 PM
I would like to know the same thing for the depth, if possible?

ntidsl
06-12-2006, 12:15 PM
I dont know about the air temp, I never have seen it but water temp is off on every boat I ski behind...just use your toe!

east tx skier
06-12-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't think PP does air temp or depth. In fact, I know it doesn't do depth. It's possible that that's a MC feature.

To get the water temp in 6.5ng, you have to go into the settings menu or whatever it's called. There's no shortcut like there was in 6.4.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-12-2006, 12:42 PM
minor threadjack.... I had to laugh, when I glanced at this thread I thought it said "CELEBRATING Air Temp & Water Temp in 2004 197" and I sat and thought, what the he11 is celebrating air temp?? I am such a retard sometimes....read UMP, READ!!! :uglyhamme

TMCNo1
06-12-2006, 02:11 PM
minor threadjack.... I had to laugh, when I glanced at this thread I thought it said "CELEBRATING Air Temp & Water Temp in 2004 197" and I sat and thought, what the he11 is celebrating air temp?? I am such a retard sometimes....read UMP, READ!!! :uglyhamme

Yea UMP, there is gonna be a "Celebration Parade" in your honor just after the celebration of the "Air Temp and Water Temp" in the 2004 197 down by the town square. Antique cars and boats, marching bands, drill teams, drum corps and of course, the beautiful and talented "Underwater Obstacle Queen", doing her famous "Prop Catcher Dance". Don't forget to look for the clowns with the ballons that look like turn bouys and boat guides filled with Helium!
I couldn't let this one slip by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-12-2006, 02:17 PM
I couldn't let this one slip by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats why I pay you the big bucks no1! That was hilarious! Like I said, I am a retard sometimes, and its you guys' job to make fun of me! :D and I will only settle for the best in the business when it comes to making fun of my retardedness.
The part I wanna know is, what temperature do we celebrate? 80...?

JohnnyB
06-12-2006, 02:20 PM
My boat has this info on the digital display. I do not have perfect pass. It does all come from the paddle wheel sensor...found this in the owners manual. However, I too am looking at how to recalibrate. Air temp seems to be on, water temp is probably 5 deg off, depth is several feet off (measuring deeper than reality) :eek: . About all I've figured out so far is how to set the clock :D

If anyone knows the answer, that would be fantastic....I'd love to have the reading accurate as well.

BuoyChaser
06-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Thats why I pay you the big bucks no1! That was hilarious! Like I said, I am a retard sometimes, and its you guys' job to make fun of me! :D and I will only settle for the best in the business when it comes to making fun of my retardedness.
don't feel alone, i just got that UMP stood for Upper Michigan Prostar, i've always been like who the heck is UMP their making fun of?!? :D

BuoyChaser
06-12-2006, 02:25 PM
My boat has this info on the digital display. I do not have perfect pass. It does all come from the paddle wheel sensor...found this in the owners manual. However, I too am looking at how to recalibrate. Air temp seems to be on, water temp is probably 5 deg off, depth is several feet off (measuring deeper than reality) :eek: . About all I've figured out so far is how to set the clock :D

If anyone knows the answer, that would be fantastic....I'd love to have the reading accurate as well.
that is correct not displayed on the pp display but on the digital display...

never checked the depth but mine almost seems like it is saying it is shallower than it really is...

gotta me someone who knows how to calibrate...maybe MC should offer a "RENTAL" calibration tool that can be shipped back and forth for a small fee or "COURTESY" to get these things accurate...why display it if it isn't accurate???

TMCNo1
06-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Thats why I pay you the big bucks no1!

Superhero policy...............ANY temperature SKIABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
don't feel alone, i just got that UMP stood for Upper Michigan Prostar, i've always been like who the heck is UMP their making fun of?!? :D
Oh, I'm never alone, I have plenty of voices in my head to keep me company, just ask my therapist, Dr. Hoosier. he will tell you! :D

TMCNo1
06-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Oh, I'm never alone, I have plenty of voices in my head to keep me company, just ask my therapist, Dr. Hoosier. he will tell you! :D

One of the voices in his head goes by the name UMP also, "Unidentified MasterCraft Promoter"!

nroland
06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
I wondered the same thing with our 2005 197 temp gauge. It always reads warmer than the water is (Tested with a thermometer). Took it back to the dealer and they checked the calibration of the temp gauge (it is in the paddle wheel) and found that it was spot on. The issue is, the paddle wheel only sticks into the water a few inches ... so what the temp gauge is reading is surface temp (which can be consideribly warmer than the real temp we feel a few feet under the surface).

Also, since the paddle wheel is in the engine box, it may be reading a bit warmer simply because it's in an enclosed space with the engine heating everything up.

I agree that the best bet is the toe test - - and just go for it. If it's too cold, your body will go numb anyway. No worries. :)

BuoyChaser
06-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I wondered the same thing with our 2005 197 temp gauge. It always reads warmer than the water is (Tested with a thermometer). Took it back to the dealer and they checked the calibration of the temp gauge (it is in the paddle wheel) and found that it was spot on. The issue is, the paddle wheel only sticks into the water a few inches ... so what the temp gauge is reading is surface temp (which can be consideribly warmer than the real temp we feel a few feet under the surface).

Also, since the paddle wheel is in the engine box, it may be reading a bit warmer simply because it's in an enclosed space with the engine heating everything up.

I agree that the best bet is the toe test - - and just go for it. If it's too cold, your body will go numb anyway. No worries. :)

that's a pretty lame excuse that wouldn't be acceptable in our automobiles...so why not mount the air temp gauge elsewhere in the boat and make a new mount for the temperature sensor...or change the calibration to read like 10deg lower or something like that to offset the difference...

my point is, don't have it unless it is going to work 100% accurate...

nroland
06-12-2006, 04:20 PM
I completely agree (although we don't have the air temp (we got the heater ... and figured that if we needed the heater on, we didn't want to know what the air temp was).

As for the water temp, we live in MN and as the months change, the temp gradient in the lake changes ... so an off-set wouldn't work. I would think that with all the technology, there could be some type of IR sensor that could project into the water a few feet and read that temp.

but a simple toe in the water and then a choice of wet suit, dry suit or rash guard should do it.

Ric
06-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I wanna know too! In fact I want to know how to see air temp on the screen as well as confirming the calibration of my water temp
(pp and the mc gage get their info from the MC paddlewheel)

nroland
06-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Ric,

Not sure how to get the air temp. I think it's an option ... and I'm not sure where the sensor is.

As for calibration, without bringing in the boat, simpy take a cup of warm water with a thermometer in it and put the paddle wheel in it. See what the readout on the dash says and compare to the thermometer. If they are the same - - you're good to go ... if they are different, you could bring it to the dealer (although I'm not sure if it's really worth it - as mentioned earlier, this will only read surface temp).

BuoyChaser
06-12-2006, 04:52 PM
i honestly don't care what the water temp is, but all the neighbors when they see us out there with ice on the pond, want to know...seems to be the first and sometimes only question we get...so what was the water temp and what was the air temp???

my water temp in new hampshire is reading 75deg the last time we're out, we're lucky if it is 55...

Ric
06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
i honestly don't care what the water temp is, but all the neighbors when they see us out there with ice on the pond, want to know...seems to be the first and sometimes only question we get...so what was the water temp and what was the air temp???

my water temp in new hampshire is reading 75deg the last time we're out, we're lucky if it is 55...
75 is cold enough for me! leave it set on that and you can psych yourself into believing it!

nroland
06-12-2006, 04:57 PM
I would suggest taking the air temp from your car, or the weather chanel, or run to target and grab a outdoor thermometer.

We have skiied the day after the ice was out ... and it was so cold that I didn't want to know how cold it was ... as it seemed like the heater couldn't even keep up.

quick question, do you know how to set the clock on the stereo?

Ric
06-12-2006, 05:12 PM
it was ... as it seemed like the heater couldn't even keep up.

quick question, do you know how to set the clock on the stereo?
I don't but you may be able to get the manual on clarion's website and download it.

That unit is so damn complicated that I never want to change anything on it. Everytime I think about it I just blow off the idea knowing that I'll spend an hour figuring out the screens first!

nroland
06-12-2006, 05:25 PM
I tried, but it's not on the clarion website anymore - -

I never thought such a simple thing would be such an irritant.

Ric
06-12-2006, 06:18 PM
there is so much bs on the screen of my clarion, I didn't even realize it had a clock!

it will scroll the artist or the title across the screen of the radio and the remotes if you hold your mouth right... But don't even think about asking for subwoofer pre-amp outputs, no.. That would be a ridiculous wasteful request :rolleyes:

nroland
06-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Ric,

I found the manual for the XMD3 radio on the sirus website.

The address is:
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1080597647930

click on the install guide box

I didn't realize there was so many adjustments that could be done - looks like something to play with on a rainy weekend.