PDA

View Full Version : Boating Accidents (Texas)

WakePowell
06-12-2006, 10:19 AM
On the news this morning there was a brief clip about two severe boating accidents in the area one of them involving a skier. Here is all that I found:

WEATHERFORD - A 19-year-old Weatherford man died Sunday in a boating accident in Hood County in which he was pulled underneath a boat and hit by a propeller, officials said.

Shane Richardson, 19, died at a Fort Worth hospital after the accident, which occurred on the Brazos River about 3 p.m.

Richardson had been water-skiing when the propeller of the boat that was pulling him apparently pulled him under, said Judy Pierce, a spokeswoman for the Brazos River Authority.

"It's possible that his tow line from which he was skiing got attached to the propeller and pulled him under," Pierce said. "Not everyone has been interviewed yet, so I'm not positive that's what happened."

Three other people were in the boat, Pierce said. The accident happened in Hood County about a quarter-mile from the Parker County line, north of Tin Tip in Parker County, Pierce said.

The Brazos River is the longest river in Texas and runs 840 miles, from Stonewall County to the Gulf of Mexico.

One of Richardson's limbs was severed by the propeller, officials said.

Danny Tuggle, a Hood County game warden investigating the accident, said Richardson had lost a leg in the incident.

Richardson was flown to Harris Methodist Fort Worth hospital, where he died.

The death has been ruled an accident, Pierce said, but the Brazos River Authority is investigating.

Sunday evening, a member of Richardson's family, Luanne Richardson, said he recently finished firefighter school at Weatherford College.

He planned to begin paramedic training soon, said Luanne Richardson, who identified herself only as a sister-in-law to the family.

"He was 19. He was a great kid," she said. "He started the fire academy in January. He was starting the EMS training July 3."

tex
06-12-2006, 10:24 AM
The 19 year old's mother is an old friend of mine. Her father was my baseball coach growing up. A very nice family. I will post more when I get more information. A sad story.

stevo137
06-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Tex, this is a very sad and terrible story. I can't imagine how this could happen. Any ideas on how he was pulled under?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Yes, very sad. :( Bummer to hear this. I have to wonder how it actually happend. its sounds strange getting pulled under. Something must have went very wrong.

east tx skier
06-12-2006, 10:44 AM
How terrible for all involved. My sincere sympathy to his family.

tex
06-12-2006, 10:44 AM
We don't know yet. My mom says that they think both of his legs were cut off. She is trying to get more details. I have not talked with the family in forever. I was good friends with the boys uncle. They still live close to my mother. The family is very good country salt of the earth people. They are the types that you can't say anything bad about.

shepherd
06-12-2006, 10:52 AM
I'll guess and say he probably got tangled in the ski rope??? Freak accident for sure. It must have been a nightmare for everyone involved.

06-12-2006, 10:57 AM
I guess we should all remember that safety is so important while out there on the water. The crew I ski with are all good guys, no idiots in the bunch, and we have skied together for almost 20 years, and we still are careful, but accidents can still happen. We need to remember that and not be so over confident. As with any sport, there is always a risk of accidents. We all take a risk everytime we say "hit it". This reminds me of that guy that got killed last year on the water. IIRC, he was from PA or something, a very good skier that fell and got his head caught in the ski rope handle and it broke his neck. Those odd things can happen. Be safe out there people.

06-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I'll guess and say he probably got tangled in the ski rope??? Freak accident for sure. It must have been a nightmare for everyone involved.
yea, imagine the horror the people in the boat went through, that will scar them emotionally for life.... :(

JimN
06-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Tex- do they have family in the Abilene/Clyde area?

tex
06-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Jim,

I'm not sure. We are friends with the wife's family.

jraben8
06-12-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't mean to detract from this thread or jack it in anyway but the guy that sits next to me just asked if I had heard about the explosion on Eagle Mtn lake last night about 9 pm? Supposedly there is one person in a local burn unit. It was tied to 3 other boats when it went. I'm still looking for details.

pkskier
06-12-2006, 01:16 PM
I heard it on the news this morning. A guy was working on a boat and spill some gas and the gas caught on fire. This happened at a new marina on the lake.

pkskier
06-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Eagle Mountain Lake Marina Fire
(WBAP) A man working on his boat spilled some gasoline. It caught fire and the flames spread to 4 boats at the Lakeview Marina at Eagle Mountain Lake. It happened about 11:00pm Saturday night. The dock was also damaged. The man who was working on the boat suffered first and second degree burns.

tex
06-20-2006, 05:44 PM
My mom came over today and explained. It sounds like the driver came around to pick him up and did not put the boat in neutral. He was getting in the boat and the prop got into him and sucked him under. Sad story. A very nice family.

bradamerry
06-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Very sorry to hear. A fun day at the lake gone bad. My prayers go out to all involved.

One Question Tex. What kind of boat?? I/O, outboard or Comp??

Maristar210
06-20-2006, 10:26 PM
My mom came over today and explained. It sounds like the driver came around to pick him up and did not put the boat in neutral. He was getting in the boat and the prop got into him and sucked him under. Sad story. A very nice family.

OMG Tex, This is awful. I am sure all feel terrible at best.

Godspeed & Levity. I am very very very sorry.

Steve

SKI*MC
06-20-2006, 10:41 PM
One Question Tex. What kind of boat?? I/O, outboard or Comp??

This is sad to here.

It sounds like this boat is an I/O or an outboard.

erkoehler
06-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Sorry to hear that, my prayers are with the family :(