PDA

View Full Version : Ouch My Oj

sizzler
06-12-2006, 03:57 AM
dinged my prop yesterday hitting a log on our lake.....was about 12" in diameter....large thud ......no noticeable vibration so i "idled" back to shore and put it on the lift...on inspection there was an ever so slight dent in the prop......was deciding whether to pull it and "fine tune" (see hammer) it myself .....i went and re-fuelled at the floatin station....and on the way back i courteousley pulled to one side to allow the club-boat to pass easily......i was still thinking about the prop ,when i met with a sub-merged concrete railway sleeper.......no more thinking now..it is bent to buggery(ruined).........so my question is......

SHOULD I JUST REPLACE THE SAME(12x12 1/2 V OJ)...OR CHANGE TO SOMETHING ELSE???

i know doug has tested various props..but not on wakeboard boats IIRC....so open to ideas????

NatesGr8
06-12-2006, 08:49 AM
pictures? would love to see this. and sorry about your misfortune. if the prop was working out well for you then i would stick with the same one.

bigmac
06-12-2006, 09:01 AM
dinged my prop yesterday hitting a log on our lake.....was about 12" in diameter....large thud ......no noticeable vibration so i "idled" back to shore and put it on the lift...on inspection there was an ever so slight dent in the prop......was deciding whether to pull it and "fine tune" (see hammer) it myself .....i went and re-fuelled at the floatin station....and on the way back i courteousley pulled to one side to allow the club-boat to pass easily......i was still thinking about the prop ,when i met with a sub-merged concrete railway sleeper.......no more thinking now..it is bent to buggery(ruined).........so my question is......

SHOULD I JUST REPLACE THE SAME(12x12 1/2 V OJ)...OR CHANGE TO SOMETHING ELSE???

I would email both OJ (http://www.ojprops.com/site/contact.htm) and Acme Propeller (http://www.acmepropellers.com/html/contact2.asp) and ask them. IIRC, they didn't start putting CNC props on MasterCrafts until 2005 model/year, and that style prop is superior. Both places are very customer oriented and work hard to help. Bill Weeks at Acme has been very helpful to me, and lined me up with The Magic Propeller - the one that is quieter, with better acceleration and better top end - the holy grail of propellers. YMMV, but if you have a dead prop, I'd get it repaired (if possible), keep it as a spare and try a new one.

Sorry about your bad luck - I hate that "thud" sound.

MarkP
06-12-2006, 09:42 AM
I say yes, something else..

sizzler
06-12-2006, 09:58 AM
what comes as standard on the 06 X9's..with MCX..?????
jim@baws,,,MYMC..????????

sizzler
06-12-2006, 09:59 AM
pictures? would love to see this. and sorry about your misfortune. if the prop was working out well for you then i would stick with the same one.

Will post the pics this evening

NatesGr8
06-12-2006, 10:30 AM
i was not aware you did not already have a cnc'd prop. i revoke my previous statement of getting the same thing. go with some type of cnc'd prop. i changed over last year and haven't regretted it once. i went with acme.

sizzler
06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
as a question.......what diameter shaft have i got...(no sniggering now girls) :D

bigmac
06-12-2006, 11:17 AM
what comes as standard on the 06 X9's..with MCX..?????
jim@baws,,,MYMC..????????

2006 MCX and 1:1 tranny = 12.5 x 12
2006 MCX and 1.5:1 tranny = 13.7 x 17

IIRC, all of these late model MasterCrafts have a 1 1/8 inch shaft

east tx skier
06-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Sizzler, the shaft should be 1.125 splined.

sizzler
06-12-2006, 11:49 AM
thx bigmac ,doug

bigmac
06-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Sizzler, the shaft should be 1.125 splined.

I don't think that's right Doug...I think it's 1 1/8th...

oh...right...Sizz is in the UK so you're probably giving him the info in metric

;)

JohnnyB
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Sizzler,

This weekend I swapped the 12.5x12 Stock OJ on my 2004 PS 197 with an ACME prop (don't know the number off the top of my head but believe it is a 13x12.5). This gave me noticeable performance difference in increased hole shot and a better top end (solid 2mph gain). I'm running the base 310hp engine and 1:1 tranny. This is what I was after as my primary uses are barefoot and slalom.

I'll get the prop number and exact dimensions and post later today or tomorrow. Get your 12.5x12 fixed and keep it as a spare but upgrade to a CNC ACME or OJ.

Call Mike at ACME and/or Eric at OJ, talk to them about your intended uses, and see what they recommend.

sizzler
06-12-2006, 05:10 PM
i will try and get this repaired.....

sizzler
06-12-2006, 05:11 PM
another shot

sizzler
06-12-2006, 05:12 PM
and one more

LakePirate
06-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Great work there Sizz.

Hope it won't hit you too hard in the wallet.

PendO
06-12-2006, 05:35 PM
solid effort there sizzler ... here is the OJ props application guide http://www.ojprops.com/site/OJProps_applicationguide.pdf ... I see that your shaft/prop is splined, is your transmission 1.5:1 or 1:1 (I assume)... as for the 2006 owners manual, they list the wrong prop for my boat, so double check whatever the manual says:) The 06 manual (http://www.mastercraft.com/manuals/2006%20Owners%20Manual.pdf) lists the 1:1 as 12.5 X 12 and the 1.5:1 as 13.7 X 17 ... guessing that you have the 1:1, it looks like the OJ (four blade) models that will fit are the 418 (12.5 X 12 LC .090) [listed as stock for your engine in 2006 on the X9] and 422 (12.5 X 13 LC .090)

sizzler
06-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Great work there Sizz.

Hope it won't hit you too hard in the wallet.

why thankyou LP.....i was doing all of tickover speed....imagine if i were WOT...... :eek:

Thanks casey...........

have a nice day y'all.......i am heading off to bed....need my beauty sleep

sizzler
06-13-2006, 06:24 AM
i've had a quote to repair it.....about 100.......and i'll buy a new one and use the old as a spare...........but i'll be buying it over in the states as i'll save a few quid :D

6ballsisall
06-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Siz I just put on an Acme 843 on my X7 and REALLY like it. I haven't had alot of time to test it but first ride out says smoother, stronger mid range and maybe a tick more top end. go for it!

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Eric Johnson at OJ has been assisting me with finding the right prop for my application. If you want to contact him, his info is:

Eric Johnson
Johnson Propeller
800-359-9730
eric@ojprops.com

Regards,
Paul

sizzler
06-13-2006, 09:22 AM
thanks jeff and paul.......i'll call both and let you all know who gets the siz's business........ :headbang:

MarkP
06-13-2006, 09:27 AM
i will try and get this repaired.....
Ouch my OJ is for sure. I made the prop on my old Nautique look just like that. Did it the same way too..

sizzler
06-13-2006, 09:31 AM
chaps......need a phone no. for acme.....on their website its a toll free no.........No use to me over here...i wanna pay for the call......

thx lads

bigmac
06-13-2006, 09:59 AM
The non-toll-free number for Acme is (231) 796-2874. Ask for Bill Weeks or Jim Thalen. Bill isn't in the office this week, but Jim can help you.

sizzler
06-13-2006, 10:08 AM
thanks bigmac.... :toast:

sizzler
06-13-2006, 12:20 PM
just spoke to jim at acme.very helpful fella......think i'm gonna go with the acme843...

6ballsisall
06-13-2006, 12:20 PM
just spoke to jim at acme.very helpful fella......think i'm gonna go with the acme843...

You love it!! Its awful Purty as well! :D

sizzler
06-13-2006, 12:35 PM
3 blade yeah????

sizzler
06-23-2006, 04:19 AM
well....my prop is in boston........just gotta hope my friend remembers to bring it home tomorrow.......then i can try it out at the lake......

was gonna do a prop comparison,,,,but i think i was beaten to it.....

sizzler
06-23-2006, 04:29 AM
i was quoted close to 600 for the ACME prop over here........got it delivered to a friend in boston for $414....that works out as a saving of $680....crazy how we are charged so much overhere.....

bigmac
06-23-2006, 08:12 AM
i was quoted close to 600 for the ACME prop over here........got it delivered to a friend in boston for $414....that works out as a saving of $680....crazy how we are charged so much overhere.....

Yikes! 600GBP is $1100 USD! That's a lot for a prop!

Did you/do you have to pay any import tariff or duty if your Boston buddy sends it across the pond to you?

sizzler
06-23-2006, 08:31 AM
he's out their on business and is bringing it back in his suitcase tonight for me...

otherwise if it was posted it would cost me about an extra $100 which is still good value for us.....

east tx skier
06-23-2006, 11:30 AM

Holy schnikies! And I thought the coffee over there was expensive.

/1 white coffee please. Mmmmmmm.

TMCNo1
06-23-2006, 01:53 PM
well....my prop is in boston........just gotta hope my friend remembers to bring it home tomorrow.......then i can try it out at the lake......

was gonna do a prop comparison,,,,but i think i was beaten to it.....

Good luck! A MC boat owner friend of ours came to NC from CT to visit and I gave him a extra wheel hub I had for him to use as a spare for his trailer. It was wrapped in a towel and taped up and he transported it home in his carry-on bag. Security went "BALLISTIC" :confused: when the bag went thru the X-Ray machine, thinking it was a bomb or some type of nuclear device, but all as well when he unwrapped it for them! :eek:

murphfsu
06-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Sorry to hear about dinging your prop. I would buy an Acme -- I switched over from an OJ to an ACME and the difference has been remarkable

sizzler
06-26-2006, 03:24 AM
i picked the ACME up this w/e....put it on the boat and have noticed the difference straight away....the engine sounds " throatier" and the holeshot was better...noticed the top-end was a coupl of mph higher as well.......

and yes jeff....it is very pretty

6ballsisall
06-26-2006, 08:25 AM
i picked the ACME up this w/e....put it on the boat and have noticed the difference straight away....the engine sounds " throatier" and the holeshot was better...noticed the top-end was a coupl of mph higher as well.......

and yes jeff....it is very pretty

Glad you like the prop! CNC rocks IMO!!! Off to get my new one repaired today :(

Enjoy Siz!!

sizzler
07-10-2007, 10:43 AM
did not want to dig this thread out again......but i should re-name it..."ouch my ACME".......I "DINGED" it big time last week...dont ask how, because its embarrassing....it was a very big hit and totally bent over the prop......i put my re-conditioned OJ (read thread) on it and gave it a whirl around the lake.......the boat shook like hell,so i put it on the trailer and headed off to my dealer.......they phoned me a few hours later with the 'good' news....they released the shaft and it pinged about 3" off of centre(ouch=new shaft)....the "P" Bracket was also bent(new one needed)......both these were replaced and they took it out on the water ......the boat still shook.....they changed the prop over to a new one and it ran like a dream...so this means that the oj i had repaired has to go back to be re-repaired...jeez....i have a 'loaner' prop on at the moment and am waiting for a friend to go to sanibel FL in the next couple of weeks for a holiday so he can bring me back a new ACME(note to jim at ACME to call me back)...

have the photos on the lap-top...will upload the pics as soon as i can....i have done a much better job than last time.....:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
07-10-2007, 11:03 AM
did not want to dig this thread out again......but i should re-name it..."ouch my ACME".......I "DINGED" it big time last week...dont ask how, because its embarrassing....it was a very big hit and totally bent over the prop......i put my re-conditioned OJ (read thread) on it and gave it a whirl around the lake.......the boat shook like hell,so i put it on the trailer and headed off to my dealer.......they phoned me a few hours later with the 'good' news....they released the shaft and it pinged about 3" off of centre(ouch=new shaft)....the "P" Bracket was also bent(new one needed)......both these were replaced and they took it out on the water ......the boat still shook.....they changed the prop over to a new one and it ran like a dream...so this means that the oj i had repaired has to go back to be re-repaired...jeez....i have a 'loaner' prop on at the moment and am waiting for a friend to go to sanibel FL in the next couple of weeks for a holiday so he can bring me back a new ACME(note to jim at ACME to call me back)...

have the photos on the lap-top...will upload the pics as soon as i can....i have done a much better job than last time.....:rolleyes:

Looks like the Loch Ness Monster has a mate, the Prop Ness Monster that's hungry!

cmack
07-10-2007, 11:03 AM
sizzler -- Sorry for the bad luck. Our lakes are way up in TX. The ramp at my lake is almost closed. The dock is still floating -- but the ramp to the dock is underwater even the side rail. There are picnic tables underwater also. I can't skirt the shore anymore because I don't know where the real shore line is.... Lots of stuff to hit-- thats for sure.

peason
07-10-2007, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=sizzler]did not want to dig this thread out again......but i should re-name it..."ouch my ACME".......I "DINGED" it big time last week...dont ask how, because its embarrassing....it was a very big hit and totally bent over the prop......i put my re-conditioned OJ (read thread) on it and gave it a whirl around the lake.......the boat shook like hell,so i put it on the trailer and headed off to my dealer.......they phoned me a few hours later with the 'good' news....they released the shaft and it pinged about 3" off of centre(ouch=new shaft)....the "P" Bracket was also bent(new one needed)......both these were replaced and they took it out on the water ......the boat still shook.....they changed the prop over to a new one and it ran like a dream...so this means that the oj i had repaired has to go back to be re-repaired...jeez....i have a 'loaner' prop on at the moment and am waiting for a friend to go to sanibel FL in the next couple of weeks for a holiday so he can bring me back a new ACME(note to jim at ACME to call me back)...

have the photos on the lap-top...will upload the pics as soon as i can....i have done a much better job than last time.....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE

:o Don't ask - are you baiting us?:o

bigmac
07-10-2007, 12:43 PM
sizzler -- Sorry for the bad luck. Our lakes are way up in TX. The ramp at my lake is almost closed. The dock is still floating -- but the ramp to the dock is underwater even the side rail. There are picnic tables underwater also. I can't skirt the shore anymore because I don't know where the real shore line is.... Lots of stuff to hit-- thats for sure.

That would be a story to tell though...how you dinged your prop on a picnic table...

sizzler
07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
just been on the phone to bill at ACME....new one ordered and being delivered to sanibel,FL....Got a buddy who is on holiday there in a week or so....get him to pick it up and bring it back........:D

going with the 843 again.........

AIRCANX09
07-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I have also run into some bad luck with my prop. Had a complete blade (1 of 4) fall off 2 weeks ago. The vibration caused the strut to break as well.Funny thing is I don't recall hitting anything.Not even at a slow pace near shore. The prop could not be repaired, although the repair shio thought it may have been faulty, based on discoloration in the metal. I had the dealer return this to OJ. I had to by an ACME so the test of performance will come tomorrow. I purchased via my MC dealer for $532 CA.BIll from ACME was closed for July 4 so could not help me, although he called me back on the 9th. I do have some squealing coming from the shaft/strut but I don't think the shaft was bent.Tomorrow will be the test.

bigmac
07-12-2007, 12:03 AM
I have also run into some bad luck with my prop. Had a complete blade (1 of 4) fall off 2 weeks ago. The vibration caused the strut to break as well.Funny thing is I don't recall hitting anything.Not even at a slow pace near shore. The prop could not be repaired, although the repair shio thought it may have been faulty, based on discoloration in the metal. I had the dealer return this to OJ. I had to by an ACME so the test of performance will come tomorrow. I purchased via my MC dealer for $532 CA.BIll from ACME was closed for July 4 so could not help me, although he called me back on the 9th. I do have some squealing coming from the shaft/strut but I don't think the shaft was bent.Tomorrow will be the test.IIRC, one of the more attractive TT members also recently had a blade fall off. No, not Hoosier Bob...seems to me Eric Johnson at OJ stood behind it. They're a quality outfit.

edit...
It was X2momma in this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14862). Starting about post #13.

shepherd
07-12-2007, 12:20 AM
That would be a story to tell though...how you dinged your prop on a picnic table...

Dinged mine on a guardrail once while cruising around a flooded campground in my old Stingray I/O. :o

sizzler
07-12-2007, 03:10 AM
here's the damage

sizzler
07-12-2007, 03:12 AM
looks like a dogs ear........

here's another

MCX2RYD
07-12-2007, 03:48 AM
Ouch that hurts Sizzler. Nice work tough.

I too last week nailed my prop on Lake Osoyoos. Bent one of the blades right up into the hull of boat. Slight nick, will need fibreglass repair as well as the blade which I hope they can bend it back without breaking.

Sorry to hear your luck twice. I slightly bent my stock prop last year and had it repaired. Brought it as a spare this trip, actually picked it up on the way there and bent my new Acme with about 10hrs on it.... DOH!