PDA

View Full Version : Teak Swim Platform- Cleaning/Stripping

ems
06-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Am looking for some general advice is in stripping & refininshing my teak swim platform. So far I've tried an acid wash and power washing, and neither worked.

So this morning I just got out my random orbital sander and it worked preaty good in getting off all the old finish (Silkens) and cleaning up the wood. Spent the past 2 handsanding the edges and in between the lateral boards. Have a couple questions if anyone can help:

-any suggestion on getting the old finish and rough wood out of the grooves in between the lateral boards, and the flat end boards in between the lateral boards?? :confused:

-how much of that old finish should I get out? :confused:

-should I still acid wash/bleach the wood before restaining? :confused:

Thanks,

iokua
06-10-2006, 03:15 PM
The previous owner of mine used some sort of polyeurethane which took me 8 hours of manual sanding to get off. Once I got all the old stuff off and sanded smooth, I simply applied 3-5 coats of teak oil. I've been told if you use the teak oil while sanding with a fine grit, you can get an unbelievably smooth and shiny finish. I didn't think that would do well wet (slippery). Some guys here have taken their platform apart to sand it but I left mine as one piece and just folded sand paper over to get into the grooves.

H20skeefreek
06-10-2006, 03:33 PM
EMS,

the best thing to do would be to take apart the platform to get into the open spaces in the platform. It'll be a pain, but that's the only way you'll be able to get all that sikkens off.

As to how much you need to take off....all of it in my opinion. Get it off, then use an oil treatment as iokua said. If you are determined to re-varnish, just get most of it off, then put on more sikkens.

Teak should be natural imho.

east tx skier
06-10-2006, 03:53 PM
EMS, welcome. In the FAQ, there is a link to TMCNo1's teak refinishing. It may be helpful to you.

ems
06-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks!

What about the use of teak brightener acid/bleach after its all sanded?

6ballsisall
06-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks!

I use it and really like it! Go for it!! Starbrite makes a GREAT kit for this

SkiDog
06-11-2006, 10:57 AM
I REALLY can't believe that TMC#1 hasn't posted on this tread yet! Somebody call 911!
We were at the Silver Glen River Run last weekend, and some guy had just sold a prostar that had polyurethane on the platform. Man, was it slick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY that walked across it, came close to busting their a$$! I told him that it looked like a TMC#1 platform, and he told me NO WAY! He said he got the idea of urethaning from a guy named Ron Decker (R.I.P.). Well, I have seen Harold's platform and I've seen the platform on Deckers old 190, and both look nice. But the funniest thing was when this guy slipped and busted HIS own a$$ on his own platform! I only laughed after I saw that he wasn't hurt! But let this be a lesson, urethane looks good, but TOO slick to be function-able!

bigmac
06-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I REALLY can't believe that TMC#1 hasn't posted on this tread yet! Somebody call 911!
We were at the Silver Glen River Run last weekend, and some guy had just sold a prostar that had polyurethane on the platform. Man, was it slick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY that walked across it, came close to busting their a$$! I told him that it looked like a TMC#1 platform, and he told me NO WAY! He said he got the idea of urethaning from a guy named Ron Decker (R.I.P.). Well, I have seen Harold's platform and I've seen the platform on Deckers old 190, and both look nice. But the funniest thing was when this guy slipped and busted HIS own a$$ on his own platform! I only laughed after I saw that he wasn't hurt! But let this be a lesson, urethane looks good, but TOO slick to be function-able!

Hmmm...choices are a slick, a$$-busting teak swim platform, or a fiberglass one that tracks black stuff from the non-slip rubber all over the white interior...bummer.

TMCNo1
06-11-2006, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=skidog]I REALLY can't believe that TMC#1 hasn't posted on this tread yet! Somebody call 911!
We were at the Silver Glen River Run last weekend, and some guy had just sold a prostar that had polyurethane on the platform. Man, was it slick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY that walked across it, came close to busting their a$$! I told him that it looked like a TMC#1 platform, and he told me NO WAY! He said he got the idea of urethaning from a guy named Ron Decker (R.I.P.). Well, I have seen Harold's platform and I've seen the platform on Deckers old 190, and both look nice. But the funniest thing was when this guy slipped and busted HIS own a$$ on his own platform! I only laughed after I saw that he wasn't hurt! But let this be a lesson, urethane looks good, but TOO slick to be function-able![/QUOTE

911!, May I help you? Do you have an emergency?

Apparently this was the white/black/teal boat that Rick Copley from Jacksonville owned and must have sold. He was Ron's {BEST FRIEND?]and got the idea for the clear polyurethane from Ron [who taught me the Starbrite method] after he somehow screwed up his platform right before a Oct. reunion. He spent $600 for several coats of clear primer/sealer then 40 coats of clear polyurethane after having it chemically stripped. The only real drawback other than being real slippery, if it gets chipped or scratched, you have to start over, rather than touch it up like you can with teak oil, but, I have cured all that with my Butcher Block Formica covered platform! :eek:

Farmer Ted
06-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Hmmm...choices are a slick, a$$-busting teak swim platform, or a fiberglass one that tracks black stuff from the non-slip rubber all over the white interior...bummer.

didn't you get that black stuff replaced?

bigmac
06-11-2006, 02:20 PM
didn't you get that black stuff replaced?Still workin' on it. I emailed John Dorton, who passed over to Kim Mitchell, who said to email her in March about the replacement once testing was done. I did that, today just did it again...

...still waiting for the denouement....

Leroy
06-11-2006, 04:11 PM
I agree skidog, I think TMC1 has these posts set up for himself!

TMCNo1
06-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Is there any way I can put "Teak Platform" on my ignore list? I will try to do better next time! Joking!

SkiDog
06-11-2006, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=skidog]I REALLY can't believe that TMC#1 hasn't posted on this tread yet! Somebody call 911!
We were at the Silver Glen River Run last weekend, and some guy had just sold a prostar that had polyurethane on the platform. Man, was it slick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY that walked across it, came close to busting their a$$! I told him that it looked like a TMC#1 platform, and he told me NO WAY! He said he got the idea of urethaning from a guy named Ron Decker (R.I.P.). Well, I have seen Harold's platform and I've seen the platform on Deckers old 190, and both look nice. But the funniest thing was when this guy slipped and busted HIS own a$$ on his own platform! I only laughed after I saw that he wasn't hurt! But let this be a lesson, urethane looks good, but TOO slick to be function-able![/QUOTE

911!, May I help you? Do you have an emergency?

Apparently this was the white/black/teal boat that Rick Copley from Jacksonville owned and must have sold. He was Ron's {BEST FRIEND?]and got the idea for the clear polyurethane from Ron [who taught me the Starbrite method] after he somehow screwed up his platform right before a Oct. reunion. He spent $600 for several coats of clear primer/sealer then 40 coats of clear polyurethane after having it chemically stripped. The only real drawback other than being real slippery, if it gets chipped or scratched, you have to start over, rather than touch it up like you can with teak oil, but, I have cured all that with my Butcher Block Formica covered platform! :eek:

You're right, it was Rick's boat, and he was there with his new boat also. But it was Rick that busted his a$$ on his OLD platform. That platform musta been seeking revenge about something! :D

TMCNo1
06-11-2006, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=TMCNo1]

You're right, it was Rick's boat, and he was there with his new boat also. But it was Rick that busted his a$$ on his OLD platform. That platform musta been seeking revenge about something! :D

Enough said!

ems
06-11-2006, 08:11 PM

You've all but convinced me to switch back and try teak oil, but I gotta tell you, I've had Silkens Teak Polyurethane on it for almost 10 years (5-6 coats holds up that long), and NO ONE ever even came close to slipping on it. I wonder if he used something like minwax?

east tx skier
06-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks!

I used the brightener this year and liked it. After you get a good looking platform, you can just add oil and rub it with steel wool. The finishing wool will keep it from being slick after a few minutes in the water.

jkski
06-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Just tried a new product on my platform and so far so good. I have always been a stickler for a great looking teak platform and have always used teak oil, after just about every other use of the boat. With all of the boards and ski's being put on while on it, the oil tends to get scratched off.
So, I sanded it down and put a product called "Teak Works" made by the Flood Company on it. It is not oily, and does not fade or darken in the sun, and leaves the platform looking like new.

Doug G
06-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Mine stays in a slip and on the x-30 the platform is at water level. So after 2 months in the water the teak is looking a little rought. It is at home this week for a clean-up and the 15 year old owns the teak job ... No I don't have a lift (they won't fit and I don't have the $$$ right now anyway) ...

Should I expect the finish to hold up sitting in the sun and water on a daily basis or is this going to be a bi-monthly re-oil job?

captain planet
06-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Am looking for some general advice is in stripping & refininshing my teak swim platform. So far I've tried an acid wash and power washing, and neither worked.

So this morning I just got out my random orbital sander and it worked preaty good in getting off all the old finish (Silkens) and cleaning up the wood. Spent the past 2 handsanding the edges and in between the lateral boards. Have a couple questions if anyone can help:

-any suggestion on getting the old finish and rough wood out of the grooves in between the lateral boards, and the flat end boards in between the lateral boards??
-how much of that old finish should I get out?
-should I still acid wash/bleach the wood before restaining?
Thanks,
I have sat on the sidelines long enough on this. I have put in my :twocents: on the product to use and have taken some steps from others on this board about the "proper" way to refinish your teak platform. Here is what I did.

I hand sanded down my platform all the way to the wood removing ALL former oils and finishes (2.5 hours of sanding). I washed the platform with a pressure sprayer to get all the sanding dust out of the wood. Then I used StarBrite Teak Cleaner and Teak Brightener. I let the platform dry completly in my shed for a few days. Then this last Friday I took my trusty can of Deks Olje #1 Matte Finish, put on my favorite Sirius Radio Station, found a sunny spot in the yard, got my sponge (disposable) paint brush and proceeded to FOLLOW the directions on the Deks Olje can. Coat after coat, hour after hour, I did exactly what it said to do on the can. 2 and a half hours (and a half a quart of oil later) my platform had absorbed as much oil as it was going to absorb. Wiped up the excess oil and let her dry for 2 days.

I have to tell you, my platform has never looked better. I will take a pic this weekend (if I can remember a digital camera) and show you the results. Looks great. :woohoo:

Doug G
06-12-2006, 03:06 PM
You rebel ... following directions from a manufacturer! When all else fails RTFM .. (read the f'in manual)

:eek: :headbang:

captain planet
06-15-2006, 01:57 PM
I took pics of my platform last night. Here is the finished product.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2006, 06:50 PM
thats rick copley you are talking about he just bought a new x-1. i use poly on mine and have had no problems you just have to be careful and cut back on the beer lol!!!!!!!!

TMCNo1
06-17-2006, 07:32 PM
thats rick copley you are talking about he just bought a new x-1. i use poly on mine and have had no problems you just have to be careful and cut back on the beer lol!!!!!!!!

Seth, glad to see you made your first post on TT. Welcome, feel free to jump in anytime.
Maybe you can teach these guys something about old boats, I give up!
Just joking!
Harold & Lynn

DemolitionMan
06-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Harold i heard you were not coming to atlanta. For the reunion?

TMCNo1
06-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Harold i heard you were not coming to atlanta. For the reunion?

Yea, we're not coming, for a bunch of reasons, but, mainly our daughter will be delivering our 1st grandchild any day around that weekend, so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We will miss everyone, and there is always next year!

I see you joined on here in 2004, where you been all that time?

DemolitionMan
06-17-2006, 10:34 PM
dont ever have time to fool with it. hey is the jack on your trailer chrome plated or polished?

TMCNo1
06-18-2006, 09:11 AM
dont ever have time to fool with it. hey is the jack on your trailer chrome plated or polished?

I was fortunate enough to get hooked up with a chrome plater in 1990 in High Point, NC that did chroming for the furniture industry. Sent him the jack pieces, winch pieces, prop and some other stuff and got them chromed . He is now out of business, unfortunately, as he did superior work.
Some people polish the galvanized finish on jacks, winches and hitch couplers, but any moisture will turn it black as soot and it is a real chore to bring back after a rain storm or rain while traveling. I polished the brake coupler/hitch on mine and a drop of sweat or just handling it will turn it black in about 3 hours, so I just deal with it. When we travel to reunions, I wrap it in a garbage bag and tape it up, but water and moisture will always get in somehow and I just spend the time bringing it back.

theDano
06-19-2006, 09:10 PM
I took pics of my platform last night. Here is the finished product.
Capt Planet....that looks awesome! :headbang: Congrats on that platform. You can feel proud about that hard work and long hours, huh?!

captain planet
06-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Capt Planet....that looks awesome! :headbang: Congrats on that platform. You can feel proud about that hard work and long hours, huh?!
Thanks, the pics don't do it justice. I have gotten several comments from other members of my boat club about it. That makes it worth all the work.
I have a feeling I will be helping a couple of friends do their platforms soon since they are all jealous of the way mine turned out.

casx, Scott, Bob, and Mark, bring up some sand paper the get yourselves some Deks Olje and well get you guys set up!

Oh yea, bring some beer as well!! :friday:

agua4fun
06-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Just as a reference:
I re-finished my teak on May 1st: sanding, 6 coats of starbrite, 1 coat of wax... Looked great!!
today is the first day i have noticed fading.(about 2 months) it was near the handle slots where it gets the most use.
keep in mind my boat floats, so every time a boat goes by (maybe 3 times a day) or it rains, it gets wet. it does sit a few inches above the water line normally. Also it is in the sun and has about 30 hours since re-finishing.

Anyway, I am pleased with the result. last years job only lasted 1 month. any suggestions on bringing it back?? do i need to sand the whole thing down, or just touch up the spots that need it? how long does it need to dry before i use the oil?

i think i need two platforms, so i can work on one while i use the other.