PDA

View Full Version : Lowered 'Hoe!

Sodar
06-10-2006, 12:20 AM
I decided that after 2 lifted trucks I would lower my Tahoe. I found a nice kit from McGaughy's Suspension that lowered it 2" in the front and 3" in the rear. The front has a new set of spindles that just raise the axle hub point 2" and the rear is just shock extenders and softer springs. The best part about the whole kit was that it still lets my Auto-Ride work. The worst/most expensive part was that the kit requires use of a 17" or larger wheel, my stock wheels were only 16", so I opted for a new set of 20" wheels!

Installation took about 4 hours on the garage floor and I would imagine I could cut that time in half now that I actually know what I am doing!

Now for the question! My lady friend refuses to ride in it because it looks like a gangbanger's car... I think it looks clean and sporty. What do you think?

Mi.mc
06-10-2006, 12:23 AM
i think a number of things
A) you have a lot of excess cash floating around
B) looks allright
C) your girlfriend is right. next time you see her bring a cane and a pink fur coat.

6ballsisall
06-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Looks clean Sodar!!! :headbang:

Danimal
06-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Now for the question! My lady friend refuses to ride in it because it looks like a gangbanger's car... I think it looks clean and sporty. What do you think?

I like the way it looks... but then again, you and I aren't that intimate. :D

tex
06-10-2006, 12:25 AM

it's hard being a pimp these days!

6ballsisall
06-10-2006, 12:26 AM
I like the way it looks... but then again, you and I aren't that intimate. :D

D..........your scaring me!! You said "aren't THAT intimate" !!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Sodar
06-10-2006, 12:27 AM
D..........your scaring me!! You said "aren't THAT intimate" !!!!!!!!!! :eek:

LMAO!!!

I missed that!!

Danimal
06-10-2006, 12:27 AM
haha It's 10:30 at night and you caught that. 8p

prostar205
06-10-2006, 12:29 AM
I think it looks great. The stock height on that year Tahoe is way too high - especially in the rear end.

I have a 4 Wheel Drive 1999 Expedition and lowered it with the Ground Force Lowering kit.

At the end of the end, it really does not matter what other people say or think. It is YOUR ride and YOU should have it the way you want it.

BTY MI.MC - Lowering a car usually does not brake the bank. My kit was $210 delivered and I installed it myself.

Here's a pic of my lowered 4x4 Expy.

Maristar210
06-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Did you do it for yourself or did you think it would attract onlookers?
Motive?

Sodar
06-10-2006, 12:31 AM
BTY MI.MC - Lowering a car usually does not brake the bank. My kit was $210 delivered and I installed it myself.

Here's a pic of my lowered 4x4 Expy.
Totally true... now my old lifted Silverado that broke the bank! One triple Bypass shock cost more than my entire lowering kit!!

Sodar
06-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Did you do it for yourself or did you think it would attract onlookers?
Motive?
I really liked it. I saw one out at the river and really liked it. Plus I like having something different from stock. I was also tired of climbing into a lifted truck with a suit on!

Maristar210
06-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Well then Cameron. I am impressed. You are wise, for your age especially.

Take Care - Steve

JDK
06-10-2006, 12:35 AM
it's hard being a pimp these days!

........I think you mean PIMP'N AIN'T EAZY!!! :D

Sodar
06-10-2006, 12:38 AM
I guess next time I drive I will need to put on a different type of suit...

erkoehler
06-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Sodarski, it looks nice!

Danimal
06-10-2006, 12:45 AM
........I think you mean PIMP'N AIN'T EAZY!!! :D

JDK... ya' kin't make some honky rap JIBE if it's not in his blood :cool:

SKI*MC
06-10-2006, 12:57 AM
I think it looks sweet! Not you have to put 20's on the boat trailer. (Matching rims) and low-pro tires!

PendO
06-10-2006, 02:07 AM
I decided that after 2 lifted trucks I would lower my Tahoe. I found a nice kit from McGaughy's Suspension that lowered it 2" in the front and 3" in the rear. The front has a new set of spindles that just raise the axle hub point 2" and the rear is just shock extenders and softer springs. The best part about the whole kit was that it still lets my Auto-Ride work. The worst/most expensive part was that the kit requires use of a 17" or larger wheel, my stock wheels were only 16", so I opted for a new set of 20" wheels!

Installation took about 4 hours on the garage floor and I would imagine I could cut that time in half now that I actually know what I am doing!

Well man, what you really need is one of those cool airbrush pain jobs on the hood ... I'll vote with your lady friend, only b/c the car is white, if it was a dark color then it would be okay, but I know you are rollin' with a ga't in the glove box ... I mean who rolls a white SUV on 20"s without one, that and it is so OJ simpson:)

H20skeefreek
06-10-2006, 08:26 AM
I think it looks great. I have a belltech 3/4 lowering kit in my garage waiting to go on my '99 tahoe. I'm doing it for 2 reasons 1. I'm used to driving a Mustang, and can't stand the high center of gravity on the tahoe that I drive now 2. I think it looks sweet. Sure, I'd like to think that other people will like it, but honestly, I don't care either way.

I went with the belltech so that for now I can keep the same size rims. THOSE are what could break the bank. I'm hoping to eventually find some silverado ss wheels to put on it.

ps- is your 'hoe 4x4? mine is.

Ric
06-10-2006, 09:34 AM
around here, a nice airbrushed crucifix will be necessary for the tailgate ;) ok maybe your last name in gothic lettering either across the top of the windshield or completely across the rear glass. Where you place the lettering can really add personality from what I have seen around here :rolleyes:

All BS aside I think it looks great and if it would tow a prostar safely, I'd drive it! meanwhile you tell your lady friend she can ride with me :D

Sodar
06-10-2006, 10:52 AM
10-4 on the painted crucifix and airbrushed hood. I will start looking for Jorge and Leon to take care of that for me!!

I personally LOVE the white color. It was the only color that went with my boat, my dad's and my brothers. Plus it stays nice and cool in the 110 degree heat of the desert!

Either way, I will keep the lady friend with me... even if it means we will take her car!!

Hoosier Bob
06-10-2006, 09:23 PM
I know I am late here but I think it looks awesome! I will check it out sober so you know for sure!

Kevin 89MC
06-12-2006, 01:52 PM
I think it looks sweet. I may have had a different opinion if you had slammed it down so a pebble would scrape your bumper, but I think it was tastefully done. The 20's look good on a rig that size (as opposed to the Honda Civics that have them - I just laugh at those!) No offense intended to any of you who drive around in a civic with 20's :)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-12-2006, 02:23 PM
I guess next time I drive I will need to put on a different type of suit...
Sodar, what the he11 is going on here? did you raid my personal wardrobe :mad: where did you find that green suit? It had better be back at my house(dry cleaned of course) by 6:00 friday night!:mad:

;)

Nice ride man! I am not much for pimpin rides, but htat is nice and clean looking. :wavey:

LakePirate
06-12-2006, 02:35 PM
I would have gone the other way 2 inch lift, but your argument makes sense. You do live in Cali so I guess it is ok.

From the pic it looks good.

Question, if you lower you 4x4 wouldn't the only purpose for the 4x4 at that point be pulling the boat out if you needed it?

maristarman
06-12-2006, 03:25 PM

Lowering a car may not break the bank, but those 20's couldn't have been cheap.

Threadjack................

Geez UMP, I just noticed we both joined in May 2005, but you've got me beat by over 2500 posts. :eek:

How does a superhero find the time to fight for truth, justice, and the American Way (sorry Sizzler, Andre, and any others I may have forgotten) and manage to post so frequently?

I guess thats what separates the superhero's from us mere mortals. :D

End of Threadjack...............

06-12-2006, 03:31 PM
I guess thats what separates the superhero's from us mere mortals.

TRU DAT! :D

86Craft
06-12-2006, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=SodarSki73]
Now for the question! My lady friend refuses to ride in it because it looks like a gangbanger's car... I think it looks clean and sporty. What do you think?[/QUOT

I like the white and it is not to bling-bling, just got a clean look to it. You did a great job on it and are very talented! :steering:
With that said, I would not be surprised if I seen a rig like this on the news involved in a crack-cocaine bust. :shocked:

Sodar
06-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Sodar, what the he11 is going on here? did you raid my personal wardrobe :mad: where did you find that green suit? It had better be back at my house(dry cleaned of course) by 6:00 friday night!:mad:

;)

Nice ride man! I am not much for pimpin rides, but htat is nice and clean looking. :wavey:
I'll have it to ya by 5 on friday, that way you have an hour more to get the lady's!!

Sodar
06-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Lowering a car may not break the bank, but those 20's couldn't have been cheap.
20's are not THAT bad... I went through flea-bay and picked up a set with tires for $1800 shipped. I had been saving since I bought the tahoe and my dad helped me out by buying my stock wheels and tires for his suburban.

Sodar
06-12-2006, 04:25 PM
I would have gone the other way 2 inch lift, but your argument makes sense. You do live in Cali so I guess it is ok.

Question, if you lower you 4x4 wouldn't the only purpose for the 4x4 at that point be pulling the boat out if you needed it?
My tahoe is not 4x4. My boat has only seen 2 ramps in its whole life and one of them is in my backyard at the vacation house, so getting stuck is not an issue. I must say though that the car really does handle better overall, the body roll has really decreased.

06-12-2006, 04:32 PM
I'll have it to ya by 5 on friday, that way you have an hour more to get the lady's!!
"lady's" should have been in plural form, as "ladies" ;) :D

Thanks! :D

Sodar
06-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Not only are you a superhero, but also a genius! I guess I killed a few too many brain cells last night drinking! My grammar and punctuation is normally pretty good. I was learneded well in skool...

LakePirate
06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
My tahoe is not 4x4. My boat has only seen 2 ramps in its whole life and one of them is in my backyard at the vacation house, so getting stuck is not an issue. I must say though that the car really does handle better overall, the body roll has really decreased.

Somebody said they had 4x4 and lowered/were going to lower.

I would imagine that with the new tires/wheels and lowering it would be a bad machine.

Do you get a lot of play with the boat now because of the wind that is not being blocked by the tahoe is directed to the windshield?

06-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Not only are you a superhero, but also a genius! I guess I killed a few too many brain cells last night drinking! My grammar and punctuation is normally pretty good. I was learneded well in skool...
Huked on Fonicks phooked yu up! :D

Sodar
06-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Somebody said they had 4x4 and lowered/were going to lower.

I would imagine that with the new tires/wheels and lowering it would be a bad machine.

Do you get a lot of play with the boat now because of the wind that is not being blocked by the tahoe is directed to the windshield?

I honestly do not think my car sits much lower than stock now because of the bigger tires, the lowering just reduced some of the gap between the fenders and the tires. I have not noticed much change in the way the boat tows or looks at the end of a road trip...

LakePirate
06-12-2006, 05:30 PM
I honestly do not think my car sits much lower than stock now because of the bigger tires, the lowering just reduced some of the gap between the fenders and the tires. I have not noticed much change in the way the boat tows or looks at the end of a road trip...

Well there you go.

So you gonna get some of those stickers above your wheel well that say 20? Or better yet Dub?

Just breaking balls here Sodar. I once had a rimmed out exploder with 12s in the back.

Sodar
06-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Well there you go.

So you gonna get some of those stickers above your wheel well that say 20? Or better yet Dub?

Just breaking balls here Sodar. I once had a rimmed out exploder with 12s in the back.

Haha, yeah a white boy rollin' deep on dubs! I was gunna put a big DUBS sticker on the back, but the MC sticker takes up all the room! ;)

Ric
06-12-2006, 06:22 PM
shock extenders and softer rear springs and you still tow ok? maybe you can thank your tandem axle because I thought you would notice a distinct difference towing with that setup bruddah.

Leroy
06-12-2006, 06:41 PM
With the lady friend helping I'm sure!

Do those those rims spin??8p

Seriously, looks nice Cameron, not sure why anyone would not want to ride in that machine......

20's are not THAT bad... I went through flea-bay and picked up a set with tires for $1800 shipped. I had been saving since I bought the tahoe and my dad helped me out by buying my stock wheels and tires for his suburban.

H20skeefreek
06-12-2006, 07:31 PM

Uh, that is the only reason that I need 4x4. Actually I've never even needed it for that. I bought the 'hoe in Indiana, and that's where my family is. If we are there in the winter it'd be the only time we need 4x4. If I could have found a 4x2 for the deal I got this one for, I would have prefered that. I won't be doing any rock climbing in my tahoe, and I doubt anyone (very few people) ever does.

Sodar
06-12-2006, 08:12 PM
shock extenders and softer rear springs and you still tow ok? maybe you can thank your tandem axle because I thought you would notice a distinct difference towing with that setup bruddah.
Negative Ghost Rider! I have air shocks in the rear and it still tows fine. I have even towed our 10,000lbs center console w/ no sagging at all.

prostar205
06-12-2006, 08:42 PM
When I lowered my 4x4 Expedition, I did not notice any changes in the way it towed. Mine has the full air ride suspension (air shocks and torsion bars up front and air bags and traditional shocks in the rear).

We are only talking about lowering our vehicles 2-2.5 inches. This is primarily a cosmetic modification. We are looking to lay these vehicles on there frames. That would definately cause some towing issues.

prostar205
06-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Here is a buddy of mine's 2004 Expedition 4x4 that has been lowered 8-inches using a full Air Ride suspension system. He is rolling 24" wheels. This thing is a great looking truck - in my opinion. However, he does (nor can he) tow anything of significant weight. The 4x4 system still works and is great for the wet and sometimes snowy conditions we get here in the Seattle area.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Looks real nice Sodar....

LakePirate
06-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Uh, that is the only reason that I need 4x4. Actually I've never even needed it for that. I bought the 'hoe in Indiana, and that's where my family is. If we are there in the winter it'd be the only time we need 4x4. If I could have found a 4x2 for the deal I got this one for, I would have prefered that. I won't be doing any rock climbing in my tahoe, and I doubt anyone (very few people) ever does.

No disrespect there h2o

I guess my redneck is somehow showing across the internet. :wavey:

I use my 4x4 pretty regularly. Just last week I had to pull a broken down dump truck with a low boy trailer out of the road and onto a shoulder what was pretty steep. I have found that as soon as you don't have it, you need it.

H20skeefreek
06-13-2006, 12:22 AM
No disrespect there h2o

I guess my redneck is somehow showing across the internet. :wavey:

I use my 4x4 pretty regularly. Just last week I had to pull a broken down dump truck with a low boy trailer out of the road and onto a shoulder what was pretty steep. I have found that as soon as you don't have it, you need it.
lol, no disrespect taken. I can understand off-roading and using 4x4, just can't see doing it in a full size 4 door suv. I like to offroad a little in my s10 4x4 and could see getting a Jeep at some point.

LakePirate
06-13-2006, 12:28 AM
lol, no disrespect taken. I can understand off-roading and using 4x4, just can't see doing it in a full size 4 door suv. I like to offroad a little in my s10 4x4 and could see getting a Jeep at some point.

I have taken many a tahoe off road. Once to pull a stuck F150 out of the mud. Didn't work but it tried none the less. It took a 2500 with a winch to get it out. We have a 4x4 yota on 33s and somebody has to pull it out when it gets stuck. :D

PendO
06-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Is a truck really a truck if it isn't four wheel drive.

Ric
06-13-2006, 12:56 AM
. no

6ballsisall
06-15-2006, 01:09 AM
. no

Ric, are you finally speachless?? :uglyhamme