PDA

View Full Version : Need help in aligning my driveshaft and tranny

darule336
06-09-2006, 07:16 PM
I am in the process of aligning my newly rebuilt tranny and would like some advice as in how to aline the engine and everything. i believe i need to .005 gap all around the couplers. And i will not be satisfied till that is perfect.

Does it need to be in the water to does this, Since the boat is fiberglass it does flex.
If above is true how long should it be in the water before i start adjusting things.

right now on the trailer i seem to be off by quite a bit. looking from behind the couplers the top left is touching What do i need to do to adjust it so it is perfect.

This is not easy to describe but ur advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
DAn

mark g
06-10-2006, 05:32 AM
Dan the boat will have to be out of the water to adjust the alignment,
Ive attached a document that i got of this board a while back about aligning the propshaft it just about explains everything needed to be done.

mark

NatesGr8
06-10-2006, 08:48 PM
darule, if you're located anywhere near CT, i have a handy laser alignment tool that works excellent for shaft to shaft coupling alignments, accurate to .0001 inches :toast:

6ballsisall
06-10-2006, 08:49 PM
It needs to be .003 on the tolerance. Anything better is just groovy

darule336
06-11-2006, 08:15 PM
In the doc that mark provided had something about making the engine parrelle to the prop. I understand the Horizontal portion of this doc. But for the vertical how do u adjust the rear mounts to raise it up, and how accurate do u need to be with this section of it.

I had already started aligning the couplers before i realized i should check this. which i got down to almost perfect Except the bottom right of the coupler when u look at it from the back That is at about .003 should that be good or how would i adjust it to get that part closer. This the part that proably involves adjusting the engine.