PDA

View Full Version : Water in Tranny Housing

Jwhitsett1129
06-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Just bought a 1988 Prostar 190 last week...have taken it on the water twice, and been towed back in twice. The starter crapped out, and water came out of it and the transmission housing when I pulled it. There was also a considerable amount of "shrapnel" in the starter and below the flywheel. I am not the most mechanically inlined person, but I know that this is not good. From what I have seen I am surprised the boat even ran for as long as it did. Any ideas as to how water could be getting up into the transmission housing and starter??

TMCNo1
06-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Could be a freeze plug or two may have blown on the back side of the block inside the bellhousing.
I assume you are refering to the transmission housing, meaning the bellhousing that covers the flywheel and the transmission and starter bolt onto?

Jwhitsett1129
06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Yup, that is exactly the spot. The boat seemed to slip out of gear and I could not engage the prop afterward...any ideas?

NatesGr8
06-10-2006, 10:15 AM
the transmission cooler may be busted, thus letting water into the transmission. pull that off and bring it to get checked out at a radiator shop.

h2oowl
06-16-2006, 02:26 AM
Be sure to check the flex plate. I attaches the engine to the gear box. Water in this area will corrode the springs and cause a premature failure preventing power transmission to the gear box. This check requires removing the gear box from the engine. Good luck hope you are on the water soon!