PDA

View Full Version : Do galvanized staples rust?????

mitch
06-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Had several skins replaced last year, and had a local guy guy put them on. Bummer, they're rusting like crazy!!! Called the guy, and he said '''''that's never happened before''''' When I say rusting, I mean some look like they may not last the year, and a couple are staining the interior. Magic eraser has been coming in handy :D Guy is going to look at it tomorrow. He's been great to me, and I've swung a lot of biz his way, I'm hoping he takes care of me.

Ric
06-09-2006, 11:51 AM
he should have ONLY used stainless staples (monel I believe is the material)
galvanized is not good

MarkP
06-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Do galvanized staples rust?????

YES!

peason
06-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Yes, they do, especially in an environment like wet fabric. I agree - use only SS staples. bummer.

mitch
06-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys! Sloppy on my part, I 'assumed' SS, and you know what they say about assumming.....

kjohnson
06-09-2006, 01:04 PM
I am a structural engineer (did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night either). Galvanized should last longer than regular, but eventually the galvanized coating (which is sacrificial) will eventually erode leaving the unprotected staple to rust. As everyone else said, SS is the way to go. Aluminum would work too, however, I don't think I have ever seen aluminum staples.

88 PS190
06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
aluminum would need to be far too large to be strong enough for the task.

Your interior guy owes you some stainless steel staple replacement right away, he's an interior guy he should know boats require stainless staples.

bobbyB
06-09-2006, 01:13 PM
More than likely the plywood they used underneath is Pressure Treated. The newer pressure treated wood is treated with a new process that is more enviro friendly, but much more corrosive on steel. The only acceptable solutions are to use "hot-dipped" galvanized, or stainless. BTW- this counts for anyother metal that somes in contact with PT lumber.....nails, hangers, anchor bolts, etc....... This is probably why it's rusting so quik!

Sorry dude!
B

mitch
06-09-2006, 04:22 PM
More than likely the plywood they used underneath is Pressure Treated. The newer pressure treated wood is treated with a new process that is more enviro friendly, but much more corrosive on steel. The only acceptable solutions are to use "hot-dipped" galvanized, or stainless. BTW- this counts for anyother metal that somes in contact with PT lumber.....nails, hangers, anchor bolts, etc....... This is probably why it's rusting so quik!

Sorry dude!
B

no wood, all composite, but it's NE and wet damn near all the time it seems :mad:

I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow. Thanks all,,,,

mitch
06-10-2006, 11:41 AM
saw my guy this AM, and he's taking care of me replacing all the galv staples w/ SS. :D