PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Speakers

dpcj2
06-09-2006, 11:38 AM
I have a Clarion XMD with sirius. There are two speakers near the stern of the boat. I was wondering how difficult it is to add two more coax speakers to the bow. I have no problem cutting the holes, installing the speakers, etc. It is connecting them to the head unit I am worried about. There seem to be several leads hanging out of back of the head unit for R and L channels. However, the current speakers appear to be all wired in through a big bundle of wires into one output. I just didn't know if this is something I can mess around with and just start connecting until something works or if it is something I should steer clear of.

mark g
06-09-2006, 02:07 PM
If its the xmd3 you will have separate wires for the front speakers, they should be tagged up but if not i have wiring diagram if you pm or email me your email address i can send them over.
hope this helps
mark

mark@msgarnett.fsnet.co.uk

wesgardner
06-09-2006, 03:20 PM
If your deck has "fader" capability, you'll have wiring for front and wiring for rear speakers...

If your deck matches markg's I'd take him up on the wiring diagram offer BEFORE going in and starting to cut....there are memory wires, etc that carry 12V that should not be hooked up to speakers!

Wes

dpcj2
06-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks. I actually went ahead and tried just hooking up the speakers to the back of the unit before cutting holes etc. There were 6 RCA cables and then the normal bundled wires. I started by trying the RCA cables. I knew that 2 of them were inputs. (I use these for my ipod) When hooking up through either of the others, I would lose the audio through the rear speakers. ie....hook of the left front, I would lose the left rear. The wiring diagram supplied with my boat doesn't seem to match what is actually back there either. In any case, I just wired the front speakers straight into the matching rear speakers. Although it sounds fine, if there is a fade feature, it would be very nice to be able to switch between bow and stern speakers. Obviously this is impossible, if they are just wired together. Someday, I may actually get around to having someone who knows what they are doing take a look at it.

thijs
07-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi dpc:
You can put added strain on your CD player by connecting 4 speakers to two outputs (channels). You need to have all four speakers connected to their own channel (this is for more than just being able to use a fader). This will increase sound quality as you are technically increasing the resistance through your magnets in the speakers and losing sound quality. For example you are only using half the CD players power (lets say 200 watts peak) and increasing the load by two. So you are only actually getting 25watts peak to each speaker instead of the intended 50watts each (x4). This can damage your speakers and your CD player. Here is how you need to have it wired:
BLACK: ground- should already be connected
RED:ignition- should already be connected (this turns your deck off and on with either your key or an accssesory switch)
YELLOW: constant power to battery- this should already be connected (this provides constant power to your CD player to save settings, presets and clock)
BLUE & WHITE: remote wire- this will not be used unless you have an external amp. powering sub-woofers
GREY: + to Right front speaker
GREY & BLACK: - to Right front speaker
VIOLET: + to Right rear speaker
VIOLET & BLACK: - to Right rear speaker
GREEN: + to Left rear speaker
GREEN & BLACK: - to Left rear speaker
WHITE: + to Left front speaker
WHITE & BLACK: = to Left front speaker
All other wires can be ignored, they are for extras such as power antennas or phone mutes (automatically mutes stereo when car phone is in use) Also RCAS are usually only used for outputs to send information to external amplifiers to run extra speakers or sub-woofers ***make sure you are running (+) outputs on the CD player to (+) on the speakers and (-) to (-), crossing them will reverse phase on your speaker and decrease sound quality. There are usually markings on speaker wire to make this easier. Either that or the wire will be one silver color and other copper colored or there may be a ridge on the coating on one side of the wire.

Please get back if the colours out the back of your CD player are different than:
Black
Red
Yellow
Blue
Blue and White
Orange
Pink and Black
Grey
Grey and Black
Violet
Violet and Black
Green
Green and Black
White
White and Black

Thijs in Canada

dpcj2
08-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Thank you for your response. I will take another look.

thijs
08-03-2006, 09:14 PM
No problem dude, I had the same problem. Seems Clarion doesn't like to post their schematic on the top of the deck, doesn't make much sense.

JimN
08-03-2006, 09:21 PM
That color code is the same for all car audio manufacturers and has been since the early '80s. The only difference is when they added colors for cellphone mute, amp remote out (instead of just using the power antenna lead) and some have extra illumination leads for different display colors.