PDA

View Full Version : engine shutdown after extended idle

dfarmer
06-09-2006, 10:34 AM
My 2001 205V has intermittent problems with engine shutdown usually after an extended 15 minutes of slow ( no wake zone ) low RPM cruise. t is not overheating according to the temp gauge, and restarts after 20 minutes or so. My dealer can find nothing wrong, as when I bring it to him it is " not broken" and running fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Don

6ballsisall
06-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Is it dieseling at shutdown or what is it doing?

dfarmer
06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
no dieseling, just a turn off die out kind of thing.
Thanks

Leroy
06-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Could they see any events when they hooked up the computer to it?

....I think this would be a JimN question!! At the very least the dealer could let it idle 15 minutes to see what happens.

oxberger
06-09-2006, 10:48 AM
I had/have a problem similar to this on my '84 ss. Mine was a combination of things, the first being old gas in the tank, once that was corrected it was the fuel filter/water separator (sp?) and fuel lines, when that was corrected it was the carb, that was cleaned and rebuilt, and I think it has finally been resolved. The condesner wasn't working properly and when it the engine would get hot and idle it would shut down, then I'd have to wait for hours for everything to cool down for it to restart. I would assume you have electronic iginiton on yours though.n Just my .02 maybe it will help you thinkof something that may have been overlooked. Good luck.

oxberger
06-09-2006, 10:49 AM
JimN should definately have an answer for you. He's great at this stuff!

dfarmer
06-09-2006, 10:51 AM
yes, I have EFI, and I would think would stop the vapor lock type of problem on a carb engine. I don't know what to look for./
Thanks
Don