PDA

View Full Version : Timing and other

johny_Utah
06-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Hello all great board. Just bought an 89 Prostar 190 to refurbish. It has somewhere around 1500 hours on it (hour meter not working).

It has electronic ingnition and I have put new plugs , cap and rotor in it. I took it out yesterday to time it and got it to 10 degrees. Boat runs good but I only get 3300 rpm. This is the same when I did not do the tune up. I am at 6500 ft (Park City, UT) does this make that much of a difference. I think it should run around 4200. It has the powerslot 1:5:1 tranny.

I also have a leak in the transome. Since I am new to this can someone tell me where the Stuffing box is? Does someone have a picture? I think that is a good place to start.

Thanks in advance,

dchatagnon
06-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Yes. I confirm that it should run around 4200 rpm. Did you check your drive train alignment? Is your carb in good shape? What kind of propeller do you have?
Did you change also your plug wires? Check aslo your coil.

The stuffing box should be under the rear floor panel. You have to remove this floor panel to access the stuffing box. Check your packing and the adjustment. It should not drip at all when the boat is seating in the water. Your leak can come also from other locations:

- Rub rail on the rear corners of the boat
- Exhaust thru-hull
- Speedometers pito / brass tube
- Exhaust mufflers

Enjoy your new boat!

Damien

east tx skier
06-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Good picture of the stuffing box in the FAQ link in my signature.

johny_Utah
06-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Do I need marine grade wires?