PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have stand up jet skis

sberry3827
06-09-2006, 10:24 AM
I just picked up a stand up jet ski from a buddy of mine. Needs a little work, nothing major. I was just curious if anyone has these or knows much about them. Should be a fun new water toy.

Footin
06-09-2006, 10:29 AM
I had one in the late 80's, a Kawasaki 300. They are fun to ride but mine broke down often. I think I pushed it on the trailer more than I rode it on during the year I had it. I must of had a lemon.

6ballsisall
06-09-2006, 10:31 AM
I had a 87 Kawi standup a few years back. I bought it for $350 and it ran awesome. I think it had the 440 in it or might have been the 500cc motor. There good for bustin your shins when you go over the side. I never got really good at the tricks but could make it do a spin out and manage to stay on it. I never had a lick of trouble with mine.

Datdude
06-09-2006, 11:08 AM
I was lucky enough to get a new 1987 Kawasaki Jet Ski 300 for my 9th birthday and it was awesome. It topped out at probably 25mph but it was a blast to ride. I used to watch ESPN's "Hot Summer Nights" to pick up some trick ideas from Larry "The Ripper" Rippenkroger and some of the other guys. "Hot Summer Nights" was great because they used to have skiing on there as well.........ahhhh.....the good old days :D

I have been looking to find a clean stand up

Gofast
06-09-2006, 11:22 AM
I had a slighty modified ( OK highly ) KS550. Sounded great with the pipe and ran real stong.

We used to trailer it strapped to the Teak deack on my PS205. Don't cringe, it had 2 landscape poles wrapped with towels to protect the deck.

It was fun to run the course once everyone was tired from skiing.

Eventually sold it and moved into racing a Yamaha GP1200 in offshore endurance racing. Lot's of fun.

I would love to buy another stand-up.

Rob

6ballsisall
06-09-2006, 11:23 AM
We used to trailer it strapped to the Teak deack on my PS205. Don't cringe, it had 2 landscape poles wrapped with towels to protect the deck.

Rob

:eek: I'd be equally as worried about the weight bouncing on there traveling down the highway!! :eek:

88 PS190
06-09-2006, 11:34 AM
I saw one suspended between the engine box and the rear seat of a nautique last summer.

I never got good at it.

wiltok
06-09-2006, 11:51 AM
I just bought an 06 Kawasaki 800 SXR - Kawi's latest stand-up. It is sweet - also have a 94 750 SX that I am selling. Go here for everything you need to know about PWC: www.pwctoday.com

-Keith

Sodar
06-09-2006, 12:05 PM
I have had three stand ups over the last three years. This pic is of my two 1990 550's. These things were incredible, I bought the set for $1200, ran them every weekend for 2 years and sold them for $1800... this was the only good investment I have ever had on a vehicle!!

6ballsisall
06-09-2006, 12:09 PM
this was the only good investment I have ever had on a vehicle!!

Flip more MC's than! Erk will help make you smile there :D

Sodar
06-09-2006, 12:09 PM
My most recent stand up was not such a great thing. I had a 1996 Yamaha SuperJet. After 2 times using it the lower bearings in the motor froze and I had to send it to the shop for a rebuild. It was a really fast ski however with a full head, exhaust and mat kit. It also had an aluminum handpole. I was glad to see this one go however... nothing but problems!

#47of100TeamMC
06-09-2006, 12:10 PM
I've got a '93 kawi 750sx Although I don't ride it much cuz it's up at the inlaw's cabin and I dont' have a trailer for it... also ran into the problem of how do I trailer it when I'm pulling the 197 thought about the "setting it on the teak" idea... but decided I like the boat way too much to try that... I also thought it was a little heavy to put on there, but maybe that's not a problem? I think it would be fun to take on the St.Croix River here in hudson. except I dont' know anybody else that has one... would be more fun with more people.

Sodar
06-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Motor was pretty sick after the rebuild. The shop claims it was bored out to a 780cc.

I know I will have better luck with my MC. I got it as a bank repo and I know I can still make money on it... even after 3 years!

#47of100TeamMC
06-09-2006, 12:16 PM
This is the only pic I could find...

The wife wanted to ride along, I tried to tell her it was a 1 person machine but she didn't want to try it herself... So we pretty much just plowed the water for about 50ft. and then I see she was getting a whole crap load of water in her face and couldn't breathe so we had to shut-er down. At least she laughed about it... and now she rides it alone. She's pretty good at it, just had to try it I guess.

sberry3827
06-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Sounds like I wont have any trouble finding some help on here then. Im scared to check out the forums on pwctoday.com, i already dont get enough work done with this forum gettin in my way:)

tex
06-09-2006, 02:50 PM
I have taken them over the ski jump in a show. It was a blast. Not my jump or my jetski!

#47of100TeamMC
06-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Sounds like I wont have any trouble finding some help on here then. Im scared to check out the forums on pwctoday.com, i already dont get enough work done with this forum gettin in my way:)

haha, my thoughts exactly... If my boss knew how much time I actually spent browsing TMC. I'd be fired for sure. Then again, I get my work done and still have a few moments, (by that I mean hours) to spend surfing... I'd say it's a good balance. Wait, nobody knows who my boss is right?!? :eek:

Datdude
06-09-2006, 06:10 PM
We took our Jet Ski on our big Lake Michigan boat by setting it on the swim platform with some custom made cradles. The platform was a non-removable molded type and it worked great. I have found some great deals on early to mid 90's Kawasaki's but none have been within 500 miles of my house or I would have one by now. PWCtoday is a great place to get info and find nice stuff.

PendO
06-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I just picked up a stand up jet ski from a buddy of mine. Needs a little work, nothing major. I was just curious if anyone has these or knows much about them. Should be a fun new water toy.

2 @ 650's
1 @ 550
2 @ 650 X-2's

all are late 80's ... cant beat the price as compared to new ones today:)

really easy to work on, but the parts can get expensive ... you can usually find used parts for reasonable prices

agua4fun
06-09-2006, 06:59 PM
I have a '91 550. great machine. i am always amazed when it starts up first try every year. it takes lots of abuse and keeps running strong. its fun for those days when you cant find anyone elese to go out on the water. have fun!

twieder
06-10-2006, 12:09 PM
I had a '91 650 Yamaha sj for about 6 years and loved it! Aluminum hand pole, stainless impeller, tuned pipe hold on tight! Unfortunately had to sell it to a buddy of mine and he still has it!
He's waitin for his kids to get old enough to ride 'em so it's been in storage for about 5 years now.
Used to have a blast with them. Took them to Lake Erie a couple of times, and with 4 to 6 footers , talk about air time! Aaaah the memories......

T Scott
06-10-2006, 01:41 PM
I have had a ton of standups over the years. My most recent one was a 91 650cc. Lots of fun if it is too rough to ski or if no one is around to pull you. I too have taken mine with me to the lake on the ski platform of the boat.

You guys think these thing will make a comeback?? So much more fun than those "sit and spin" waverunners!