PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any teenagers???

Mag_Red
06-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Just wondering if you have kids 16-18 years old, what are they doing during their Summer Break? How wany of them are working??? How many hours per week?? Just want to see if I'm being unreasonable with my expectation of my daughter :twocents:

Sodar
06-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Considering I was a teenager not long ago, I though I would chime in. My first summer out of high school I was "required" to find a full-time summer job. I took this requirement a little too seriously and worked my @$$ off, saving enough in one summer to buy 1/2 of my own MC! Growing up though, most kids around me had to get a job once they graduated from high school, before graduation most kids were consumed with summer sports and vacations. I think a reasonable request would be part-time (20 hours a week). Anything more that that I feel kids really lose out on a lot of fun.

Maristar210
06-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Just wondering if you have kids 16-18 years old, what are they doing during their Summer Break? How wany of them are working??? How many hours per week?? Just want to see if I'm being unreasonable with my expectation of my daughter :twocents:

Mag,

Mine is now 20 but expectations of 25-40 hours per week during the summers at McDonalds were not deemed to be overly expectant during her Junior and Senior year in high school.

IMO - We are too soft on our kids these days. My dad carried a belt and you did what he said, or else. Those days are gone and its too bad.

Steve

Danimal
06-08-2006, 10:25 PM
I have a son who is 16 1/2. He plays ball all summer but so wants to get a job. I think there is a line that needs to be drawn. I still think that kids need to be kids and enjoy their summers. Those were some of the best days of my life. Life, these days, seems to move so fast and the kids grow up faster. While I don't think that there is anything wrong with a summer job, I think a 40 hour job is way too much. 20 hours as Sodar mentioned.

ski_king
06-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I have 2 daughters 18 and 15.

The 18 year old just graduated and is working 2 jobs this summer until college starts. My guess is somewhere between 30 and 40 hours per week. She has had the one job for 2 years now.

The younger daughter has been working at a restruant as a hostess and only gets about 4 hours a week, but is hoping to increase her hours this summer.

Bad part is they are my drivers and I have a feeling their hours will not work out for me to get much skiing.

mitch
06-08-2006, 10:26 PM
17 y/o daughter (a junior) will wait tables near the lakehouse this summer, 24+/- hours a week. She worked near 40/wk last summer and it was a little much for her. Granted I worked 40+ at 17, but hey she's happy and the dough is great, so it's all good.....

east tx skier
06-08-2006, 10:28 PM
When I was 13 or 14, I worked on our ranch driving fence posts all summer for 12 hours a day for $3 per hour (not to be a boastful snob with a MC talking about the big bucks he pulled down :rolleyes: ).

From 15 until the summer after I graduated, I worked at the company my Dad started in various capacities for 40 hours per week each summer all summer. During those years I learned that my gifts neither lied in driving fence posts nor in engineering.

During summer breaks while in college, I worked at a financial advisory firm 40 hours per week with the exception of the summer after my junior year when I took 18 hours in summer school.

Crash
06-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Mag, you were scareing me with the thread title...http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/images/icons/icon7.gif

Mi.mc
06-08-2006, 10:30 PM

i personally am a teenager. i currently have 4 jobs, but only 3 of them do i actively work at. one of which is at my dad's dental practice, however that is my work during the school year. during the summer, i mow lawns for my neighbor and work at my dad's car dealership. i dont work specific hours, some days ill spend all day at the dealer mowing lawns and messing with cars etc, and mowing the lawn doesnt take too long. my hours at the dental practice are as follows:
saturday: 8-1
tuesday 3-5
thursday 3-5

Danimal
06-08-2006, 10:30 PM
When I was 13 or 14, I worked on our ranch driving fence posts all summer for 12 hours a day for $3 per hour (not to be a boastful snob with a MC talking about the big bucks he pulled down :rolleyes: ).

Did you walk to and from school uphill? Both ways? :D

Mag_Red
06-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the replies so far :toast: She's lucky to get 16 hours a week at the pizza joint she works, so she's basically home all day, 5 days a week doing nothing :rolleyes: I suggested she try to find something constructive to do with this time. The bummer is she works Friday night so I can't go to the lake till Saturday morning..........don't want her making that 2 1/2 hour drive with just her friend :noface:

east tx skier
06-08-2006, 10:35 PM

Hardly. But we did live close enough to my school that I walked or rode my bike from the time I was in about second grade. I'm no Horatio Alger tale. But my parents were very intent that I have a summer job from a fairly early age. I'd had enough of summer baseball at that point and would've just been loafing around the house anyway. It was definitely good to always have office experience on my resume from an early age as it made it easier to convince employers that weren't my parents that I had the experience to do a good job.

Danimal
06-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Hardly. But we did live close enough to my school that I walked or rode my bike from the time I was in about second grade. I'm no Horatio Alger tale. But my parents were very intent that I have a summer job from a fairly early age. I'd had enough of summer baseball at that point and would've just been loafing around the house anyway. It was definitely good to always have office experience on my resume from an early age as it made it easier to convince employers that weren't my parents that I had the experience to do a good job.

I understand cmpletly.. same here.

I was just jerkin your chain. I always had a job since I was 14. It gave me a great work ethic but I missed out on a lot. My son is on a traveling tournament baseball team in the summer. He is currently looking for a job that might fit his schedule. This is his last year for summer tounamnet ball.

LakePirate
06-08-2006, 10:41 PM
With today's new school calendar it is hard to get a summer job for 60 days.

However, my brother in law who is 16 just got a job working at Wendy's.

Mi.mc
06-08-2006, 10:42 PM
what does he make per hour? im always looking for something with higher pay- but i dont think im doing to badly for a teenager at 8/hr

Mag_Red
06-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Maybe I'll take her to work once a week and make her putty and sand wood trim :D

LakePirate
06-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Keep your job. 6.50

Mag_Red
06-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Keep your job. 6.50I'd love to find some teenagers willing to give painting a try. Even a grunt would make $8/ hr with me...........and I'm a great guy to work for :D

Maristar210
06-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I'd love to find some teenagers willing to give painting a try. Even a grunt would make $8/ hr with me...........and I'm a great guy to work for :D

Uh huh sure....

JK :uglyhamme

Steve

LakePirate
06-08-2006, 10:52 PM
I'd love to find some teenagers willing to give painting a try. Even a grunt would make $8/ hr with me...........and I'm a great guy to work for :D

I worked in the paint store during my summers in high school. Boss man was cool, he let me head out early when I had American Legion games.

I met some interesting characters.

Mag_Red
06-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Uh huh sure....

JK :uglyhamme

Steve :rant: Hey last week I even gave a guy with one arm a shot.........no ****! He had a hook on his left arm. As he approached me the first day I asked him if he was right handed. He looked at me and said " what do you think????" :D Unfortunately he didn't show up the third day,domestic problem, so I canned him! :uglyhamme

bcampbe7
06-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I have had a job pretty much since I turned 14.
Started out working at a gun club. I loaded clay pigeons onto the thrower. Sat in a little bunk house. You could here the buckshot hitting the house! :eek:

Most of the way through high school I worked at a very nice golf course as a "bag boy." Pretty good money at the time for a high schooler. I probably worked 20-30 hours/week.

In college I worked at a hospital. I worked full-time while going to school full-time. I would not recommend this and I hope that my kids will not have to do this.

LakePirate
06-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Those Bag Boy tips are pretty good.
You wipe clubs down as well?

JEREMY79
06-08-2006, 10:59 PM
I have worked full time since I was 13 years old. Then we were still milking cows and running a full time dairy farm. I worked there after school and on Saturdays through the school year. In the summer, I worked at the farm all day and at night I was "clean up boy" for a body shop in town. I would go in after they closed, and after my farm chores were done, and empty trash cans and sweep the floor.

worked my arse off, but was worth it. Instills good work ethic

bcampbe7
06-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Those Bag Boy tips are pretty good.
You wipe clubs down as well?

You know it...
Washed and gassed-up the carts too.
We beat the crap out of those carts! It was a great job.

LakePirate
06-08-2006, 11:07 PM
I can slide the rear end of a cart around with the best of 'em.

I did get stiffed by Dan Patrick one time, I even returned his wallet to him and didn't even get a thanks.

17 year old and 100 in cash is never a good thing.

6ballsisall
06-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Had my first job at 14 working at a steak house and have had a job ever since. Dad & Mom let me pick my hours and I could work as many nights as I wanted to so long as my grades didn't drop. I worked lots of hours cuz I like my toys :headbang:

SKI*MC
06-08-2006, 11:21 PM
I believe i can contribute to this thread. My hours a very low. They just hired on a lot of other people. Last week was 8.5 hours. :( This week is 12. It was better when i could work 17-19 and walk away with 100 bucks in my wallet at the end of the week.

bcampbe7
06-08-2006, 11:23 PM
I can slide the rear end of a cart around with the best of 'em.

Driving skills that carry over to real life driving, no doubt. :)

We also jumped the hills on the driving range with the carts. :woohoo:

LakePirate
06-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Driving skills that carry over to real life driving, no doubt. :)

We also jumped the hills on the driving range with the carts. :woohoo:

My personal favorite was the left over keg from the tournament earlier in the day.

One cart for clubs, one cart for Keg.

Somebody lock the gate.

bcampbe7
06-08-2006, 11:26 PM
My personal favorite was the left over keg from the tournament earlier in the day.

One cart for clubs, one cart for Keg.

Somebody lock the gate.

:uglyhamme

Leroy
06-08-2006, 11:28 PM
My 17 yr old is looking for a regular job, he does things around the neighborhood for people. I just ask for good grades, play soccer well and if you can get a job great.

My 15 yr old is taking drivers ed for month of June.

Maybe my 17 year old should meet your daughter Mag since they both need something to do?

Mag_Red
06-08-2006, 11:33 PM
My 17 yr old is looking for a regular job, he does things around the neighborhood for people. I just ask for good grades, play soccer well and if you can get a job great.

My 15 yr old is taking drivers ed for month of June.

Maybe my 17 year old should meet your daughter Mag since they both need something to do?The 17 year old is a boy???? I think NOT! :D

parks_jr_55
06-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Im 17 too. Maybe I will come to this mag mania thing as long as she will be there.

During the spring I would work for my dads friend who owns a farm (doesnt actually farm though) he is tearing down the house and is building a house so I do random work for him. The pay is good too normally around $13/hour.

I find out tomorrow, but as of now it looks as if might be working at Best Buy this summer. Hopefully.

88 PS190
06-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Giver her free money!!! What worse way to waste the teenage years than working....

Mag_Red
06-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Im 17 too. Maybe I will come to this mag mania thing as long as she will be there.

During the spring I would work for my dads friend who owns a farm (doesnt actually farm though) he is tearing down the house and is building a house so I do random work for him. The pay is good too normally around $13/hour.

I find out tomorrow, but as of now it looks as if might be working at Best Buy this summer. Hopefully.She did tell me just the other week-end that she'll have to marry some one that loves boating. :D Come on down Parks.........you're never know if she might be there

Mag_Red
06-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Giver her free money!!! What worse way to waste the teenage years than working....Trust me :rolleyes: she's been given her share of that free $$$$ over the last 17 years 8p

mitch
06-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the replies so far :toast: She's lucky to get 16 hours a week at the pizza joint she works, so she's basically home all day, 5 days a week doing nothing :rolleyes: I suggested she try to find something constructive to do with this time. The bummer is she works Friday night so I can't go to the lake till Saturday morning..........don't want her making that 2 1/2 hour drive with just her friend :noface:

How about a job near the lake?

pilot02
06-09-2006, 08:12 AM
How bout a job at the Marina MAG?

TMCNo1
06-09-2006, 08:41 AM
I got a 17 year old that sleeps all week long, day and night, but take her to the lake on the weekends! She embarrases me though, every time I take her out she gets gas!
Yes, it's the boat!

mbeach
06-09-2006, 09:16 AM
have a son just finishing his jr year in hs. he, i, and beamer (his choc lab) are going to spend 2 weeks at our lake place in ne fla working (painting, wallpapering, mowing, dock repair) and have lots of fun skiing and fishing. just got his boating safety course certificate so can legally take out mc and pull me now in addition to operating a pwc. gets back and does 2 wks in europe performing with his hs orchestra group. next off with his mom and i on a family vacation, home 2 wks, then back to fla for 2 wks. following that, drumline and golf practice for 2 wks followed by start of school. in effect, he only had about 2 wks free this summer and we want to spend as much time with him as we can since this is really his last summer with us. previous summers he has worked and played tournament tennis, but this is his summer to chill and have fun.

TMCNo1
06-09-2006, 09:26 AM

..........in snow 3 feet deep, barefooted, wearing hand me down clothes, carrying firewood for the wood stove in the schoolhouse and a left over potato biscuit from last nights meal, in a brown paper bag!

Mi.mc
06-09-2006, 09:33 AM

I find out tomorrow, but as of now it looks as if might be working at Best Buy this summer. Hopefully.
i'd say stick to the building job if it's still available. my brother used to work for best buy and they pay wasn't all that great.

Mag_Red
06-09-2006, 11:14 AM
How bout a job at the Marina MAG?Thought about that but the lake is for fun not working :D

betsy&david Harrison
06-09-2006, 12:54 PM
I have over 200 of someone elses on a daily basis. For the most part they are wonderful. A few have there moments but they all make it through one way or another.

pkskier
06-09-2006, 01:33 PM
I have an 18 year old daughter that just graduated and she has her first job a day care working 35 hours a week until she leaves for college.
Having her work at a day care is a great incentive to not have kids.

hacker
06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
My (17yo) daughter is going to be an "Assistant Sr. Counselor" at a YMCA resident camp (on the lake!) for 9 weeks this summer. She will get 1 or 2 nights (6pm-10pm) off per week and she'll be off 4 or 5 Saturdays (out Sat noon - back Sun AM). She's been going to this camp since '96 as a camper, last year a CIT, now she'll get paid $155 per week to be there. Not much cash, but great experience and fun too.

maristarman
06-09-2006, 05:14 PM
have a son just finishing his jr year in hs. he, i, and beamer (his choc lab) are going to spend 2 weeks at our lake place in ne fla working (painting, wallpapering, mowing, dock repair) and have lots of fun skiing and fishing. just got his boating safety course certificate so can legally take out mc and pull me now in addition to operating a pwc. gets back and does 2 wks in europe performing with his hs orchestra group. next off with his mom and i on a family vacation, home 2 wks, then back to fla for 2 wks. following that, drumline and golf practice for 2 wks followed by start of school. in effect, he only had about 2 wks free this summer and we want to spend as much time with him as we can since this is really his last summer with us. previous summers he has worked and played tournament tennis, but this is his summer to chill and have fun.

How many weeks of vacation do you get? :confused:

I'm just jealous.........

BTW.....2 15 year olds both working part time 10 -13 hours a week.

rodltg2
06-09-2006, 05:23 PM
i personally am a teenager. i currently have 4 jobs, but only 3 of them do i actively work at. one of which is at my dad's dental practice, however that is my work during the school year. during the summer, i mow lawns for my neighbor and work at my dad's car dealership. i dont work specific hours, some days ill spend all day at the dealer mowing lawns and messing with cars etc, and mowing the lawn doesnt take too long. my hours at the dental practice are as follows:
saturday: 8-1
tuesday 3-5
thursday 3-5

your dad is a dentist and a car dealer? rolling big!

twieder
06-10-2006, 11:15 AM
We've got a 16 yr old and yes he has a job. He works about 20 hrs a week in a resturant doin dishes. Teaches responsibility and gives him some gas money.
He complained last weekend about workin friday and saturday nites(gets off at 10 pm),couldn't hang with buddies, but thats life!

tex
06-10-2006, 11:36 AM
i worked at a grocery store during school. up to 36 hours a week depending on sports. I roofed during the summer 40 hours a week-depending on sports. I still found time to ski and party. Put the squids to work. They will be better for it!