PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water?

gisaacson
06-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Is there anything I can do to the engine so I can put my boat in saltwater? The gulf around me is very smooth in the coves and would be great for boating. But can the engine handle salt water intake? Its an 85 if that matters.

Gary

BriEOD
06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Sure it can handle it. However, you need to consider some things. That salt water is going to eat your trailer up. Also, if you have an aluminum intake manifold it's going to chew that up as well. Alot of guys run in salt. Just make sure you flush real well and do a lot of cleaning.

NatesGr8
06-09-2006, 01:35 AM
agreed, flush it for at least 15 minutes, and wash everything with soap and water, the amourall the seats and windex all glass. i run in salt 95% of the time and thats what i need to do to keep it off/clean.

east tx skier
06-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Overtons sells a product that can be used to flush saltwater.

Sodar
06-09-2006, 11:17 AM
I live about one block from the ocean and decided I would put a closed cooling system on the boat and run it in the salt. I dumped it in 2 times, saw people crawl over the seats, dripping with salt and saw what it did to the trailer... decided never again and I went and purchased a 1984 Avenger Outboard for $2000 for the salt. I can guarantee it will make you cringe when you see what it does to every peice of your boat. It really is true that saltwater is "the harshest environment on earth"!!!

NatesGr8
06-09-2006, 11:24 AM
yeah, its not too bad for me, where i load/unload its brackish water. where we ski and board all day its fresh. so i don't have to worry about salt water dripping inside the boat.