PDA

View Full Version : I need help!

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 10:08 PM
2 problems I need help with!

I am trying to change the impeller on the X7 and it flat won't come out! I have changed the same impeller design before and they always come out a little hard but I could get them out! I have tried the screwdrive thang and the paint can opener thang with no luck. I have managed to get it out about 1/2" past the housing and thats all she wrote! Help!!

Second.......no one seems to know where the ballast pump is on this boat (2003 X7) and I planned to change the impeller on it as well. Where is it???????

SKI*MC
06-07-2006, 10:10 PM
did you try some KY jelly? just messing.. i never had problems with my impellor coming off. :confused:

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 10:13 PM
did you try some KY jelly?

Are you serious??

I did try some silicone spray and bumped the motor a few times. No luck. I can't say I am pleased with the past maintenence of the boat....... clearly this is the original impeller as the bolts on the front cover of the impeller housing hadn't even been cracked yet......The impeller is weak, it falls apart as soon as you throw some pliers on it.

bcampbe7
06-07-2006, 10:13 PM
More elbow grease! :D
Did you try to needle nosed pliers?

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 10:14 PM
More elbow grease! :D
Did you try to needle nosed pliers?

Needle nose or any type of pliers just disentegrates the impeller.

LakePirate
06-07-2006, 10:19 PM
If you pick enough off of it, it should come on out. Cover everything in the boat and spray a little pb blaster on it if it has seized.

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
If you pick enough off of it, it should come on out. Cover everything in the boat and spray a little pb blaster on it if it has seized.

I've got it soaking now.......I hope it comes out!! :eek:

Mag_Red
06-07-2006, 10:23 PM
I've got it soaking now.......I hope it comes out!! :eek:wasn't the impeller for the sacks under the inspection plate under the rear seat???

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 10:25 PM
wasn't the impeller for the sacks under the inspection plate under the rear seat???

nope........ just a shutoff valve and a check valve.

Footin
06-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Jeff, we all know you need help............

Try tapping the center of the impeller with a hammer, if it is rusted/corrioded to the shaft this may help free it up. Remember, light taps.

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Jeff, we all know you need help............

Try tapping the center of the impeller with a hammer, if it is rusted/corrioded to the shaft this may help free it up. Remember, light taps.

Tru dat to the first part ;)

Are you suggesting tap the shaft for the impeller or the female part connected to the impeller?

Mag_Red
06-07-2006, 10:31 PM
nope........ just a shutoff valve and a check valve.did you look under the boat for any other water intakes??

erkoehler
06-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Tru dat to the first part ;)

Are you suggesting tap the shaft for the impeller or the female part connected to the impeller?

Tap on the impeller itself, not the shaft going to the boat.

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 10:32 PM
2 problems I need help with!

I am trying to change the impeller on the X7 and it flat won't come out! I have changed the same impeller design before and they always come out a little hard but I could get them out! I have tried the screwdrive thang and the paint can opener thang with no luck. I have managed to get it out about 1/2" past the housing and thats all she wrote! Help!!

Second.......no one seems to know where the ballast pump is on this boat (2003 X7) and I planned to change the impeller on it as well. Where is it???????

Squirt a bunch of KY or soapy water in there. Pull the kill switch and, with the plate removed, spin the motor over a bit. Then try again.

At the end of it all, if it's still in there, grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and yank it out and toss it in the trash.

Footin
06-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Tap on the impeller itself, not the shaft going to the boat.

Correct Erkle.

SKI*MC
06-07-2006, 10:37 PM
If you can, try to heat up the the inside of the impellor. Thermal explasion will help. But it might expand the piece you are tring to get it off ot too... oh well, it might be worth a try.

BTW, i wasn't serious, i was it was an option on one of the millions of UMP polls a while back, i found it funny.

Jim@BAWS
06-07-2006, 10:45 PM
If you have it half way out...you are half way there. Use a VICE grip
and PULL. Turn the engine over to get the impeller into a different
position. A little WD 40 on the impeller shaft helps

Ballast pump is located behind the BACK panel (Stern) in your
back compartment. Pull the base then the sides then the back
It maybe attached with 2-3 screws.

IMPORTANT use the NEW Self lubrucating ballast impellers. They are YELLOW. You can see the LUBE when they are in the bag. DO NOT
use the older black ones. New NEw impellers for ballast are AWESOME
They produce a TON more flow

Jim@BAWS

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 10:48 PM
If you have it half way out...you are half way there. Use a VICE grip
and PULL. Turn the engine over to get the impeller into a different
position. A little WD 40 on the impeller shaft helps

Ballast pump is located behind the BACK panel (Stern) in your
back compartment. Pull the base then the sides then the back
It maybe attached with 2-3 screws.

IMPORTANT use the NEW Self lubrucating ballast impellers. They are YELLOW. You can see the LUBE when they are in the bag. DO NOT
use the older black ones. New NEw impellers for ballast are AWESOME
They produce a TON more flow

Jim@BAWS

Thanks Jim! I guess I'll have to order me up one of them yellow impellers!

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Jeff- This is your wife........Remember me?
I don't like being a TMC widow. Especially since I'm not collecting the life insurance. :D
Come to bed please.

erkoehler
06-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I don't like being a TMC widow. Especially since I'm not collecting the life insurance. :D
Come to bed please.

He left you for TMC and a carpet cleaner.....g'nite jeffrey!

bcampbe7
06-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Come to bed please.

What's up Mrs R?!?

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 10:58 PM
holy ****! That was her posting! That freaked me out!!

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Come to bed please.

Night boys and girls........ duty calls ;) ;)

skitilldark
06-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Night boys and girls........ duty calls ;) ;)
My wife never goes online and calls me to bed. What am I doing wrong?

erkoehler
06-07-2006, 11:38 PM
My wife never goes online and calls me to bed. What am I doing wrong?

Spend 10 hours with a carpet cleaner in a week, and she'll get concerned and call you to bed.

Have a great summer all, I'm out!

mitch
06-07-2006, 11:53 PM
holy ****! That was her posting! That freaked me out!!

That was hilarious, I'm out too........nite nite

Leroy
06-07-2006, 11:54 PM
So long Eric! Have a good time, I'm sure you will! There has to be a computer there somewhere, let us know how it's going!

Jeff; I'm looking for someone to test this before I have to!

88 PS190
06-08-2006, 12:41 AM
I'm still a fan of the paint can openers...

Though the wood screw vice grip adventure works as well.

jimmer2880
06-08-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm still a fan of the paint can openers...

Though the wood screw vice grip adventure works as well.

I was just about to suggest screwing deck screws into the impeller, then pulling them out with vice-grips. Glad someone else beat me to it.

RedStar
06-08-2006, 09:43 PM
I purchased a new impeller from a local dealer this week and made a half-hearted attempt to change ot the old one this evening. After seeing the old one looked to be in good shape, at least the outer edge looks good, I declared it to be lake-worthy for 2006.

The new one was 52 bucks. Is this the price you guys are seeing?

And whoever thought to tuck this baby right behind the ski pylon must have a real sense of humor. Probably the same guy who put braille on the keys of the drive-in ATMs.

bigmac
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
I purchased a new impeller from a local dealer this week and made a half-hearted attempt to change ot the old one this evening. After seeing the old one looked to be in good shape, at least the outer edge looks good, I declared it to be lake-worthy for 2006....
The new one was 52 bucks. Is this the price you guys are seeing?

Yikes! Johnson 812 impeller is $30 at SkiDim. Look at http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018 . They even stapled a little tube of silicone oil to the package they sent me - really facilitates getting that little sucker in there.

RedStar
06-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks. I saw them for about the same amount in Overton's.

I guess I paid a procrastination tax this time.

east tx skier
06-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Yikes! Johnson 812 impeller is $30 at SkiDim. Look at http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018 . They even stapled a little tube of silicone oil to the package they sent me - really facilitates getting that little sucker in there.

They used to be about $28, right? Still cheaper than I've seen them at other than an online outlet.

LakePirate
06-08-2006, 10:53 PM
So did you get it out yet JR?

Which combination of methods worked?

Farmer Ted
06-08-2006, 10:56 PM

Buying an impeller from a dealer is a mistake a MC owner will only make once......

I think they include the labor it would've taken to remove and install the impeller.

6ballsisall
06-08-2006, 11:01 PM
So did you get it out yet JR?

Which combination of methods worked?

Got er' out late today! Only method that did the trick was the screws in the rubber part of the impeller. (after some PB blaster) It popped right out with some pliers on the screws and yanking really hard. Glad I did it!!! That impeller was SHOT!!! I've ran 100 hours on an impeller and never seen one that bad! :eek:

Thanks to all for their advice in getting the job done! :wavey:

LakePirate
06-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Good Deal.

east tx skier
06-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Buying an impeller from a dealer is a mistake a MC owner will only make once......

I think they include the labor it would've taken to remove and install the impeller.

I bought one from my local dealer once and paid the premium. After they rang me up, I took them to skidim's website and showed them why it was going to be a one-time thing.

The guy was amazed as Skidim was selling the impeller for less than my dealer could get it for cost (note, ski dim impellers are PCM branded and my only local dealer tends to carry PCM products so this was troubling to him).

He got on the horn to skidim in short order and set up a dealer account. Now I buy from skidim through my local dealer. He gets a 10% discount and I pay tax instead of shipping. Works out to roughly the same cost for me and I can support a good local business and skidim in the process.

Ric
06-09-2006, 11:39 AM
This is a heartwarming story.
I bought one from my local dealer once and paid the premium. After they rang me up, I took them to skidim's website and showed them why it was going to be a one-time thing.

The guy was amazed as Skidim was selling the impeller for less than my dealer could get it for cost (note, ski dim impellers are PCM branded and my only local dealer tends to carry PCM products so this was troubling to him).

He got on the horn to skidim in short order and set up a dealer account. Now I buy from skidim through my local dealer. He gets a 10% discount and I pay tax instead of shipping. Works out to roughly the same cost for me and I can support a good local business and skidim in the process.

Ric
06-09-2006, 11:42 AM
JR, do you know what kinda water they were running your boat in prior to the sale?

I looked at the sand stirred up in my lake yesterday and thought, that sh__ is running right thru my motor

65 hrs and haven't looked at my impeller :noface:

Truth be told, I've not changed an impeller on any inboard I have ever owned :eek:
the supra had a pcm and the 190 had an LTR330, but I never maintenanced the impeller in either of them.. That said, I have a spare new johnson 812 in my boat right now as we speak :steering:

east tx skier
06-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Ric, next time I come down, I'm changing your poor impeller. I don't know if a sea strainer would do you much good on blocking sand though.

Ric
06-09-2006, 11:54 AM
I think the sand should be the prime reason I change the impeller more often

I never had overheat problems in the 190 and it spent most of it's time on that sandy bottom lake. The buyer of that boat was probably talking bad about me the way JR is about his PO after he looked at that impeller!!