PDA

View Full Version : Greenville Texas

Farmer Ted
06-07-2006, 05:49 PM
There is a job in Greenville that I'm considering applying for....

anyone familiar with the area?

I see there are a couple of lakes south east of town are they any good for skiiing?

Are the schools good? What side of town is best avoided?

Ric
06-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Never heard of it :confused:

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Farmer, I've got a coworker who used to live there.

Also, Alan Hendricks's DFW Ski School is there. He also has memberships on his private lake. Very good instructor.

jraben8
06-07-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm waiting for George to chime in about Princeton Lakes since it's not far from there - maybe 20-30 minutes west. But I don't know anything about that school district.

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 05:56 PM
There are some really nice ranch houses south of Greenville on Highway 69. Yes, Princeton Lakes is very close.

Farmer Ted
06-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Farmer, I've got a coworker who used to live there.

Also, Alan Hendricks's DFW Ski School is there. He also has memberships on his private lake. Very good instructor.

Hey Dougy,

Welcome back! HOpe you had a good trip across the pond.

If it's not too much trouble can you ask your pal which schools/side of town/gated communities are the "prefered" places?

I've often thought about going out to the school for a lesson, that would be great if I end up getting the job.

I've got until the 30th to apply so I'm gathering info to attempt to make an informed decision. The biggest plus is that I'd be doing contractor oversight with L3 and most of the guys who do this job transition into L3 after they retire.

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 05:59 PM
I'll ask, but it may be tomorrow. Government job. Lights are turning off.

Farmer Ted
06-07-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm waiting for George to chime in about Princeton Lakes since it's not far from there - maybe 20-30 minutes west. But I don't know anything about that school district.

I don't think I could afford much more than a boat house out there.....

Farmer Ted
06-07-2006, 06:02 PM
I'll ask, but it may be tomorrow. Government job. Lights are turning off.

Know how that works, at least you get pretty good virtual hourly compensation

DanC
06-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Most of the people that I know that work in Greenville live around Rockwall (to the west) or south towards Lake Tawakoni. Only about 5% of the people I know live in Greenville and none with kids. Sorry I don't know anything about the skiing opportunities.

Looking at a job with L3?

Ric
06-07-2006, 06:55 PM
I mapped it. You should look at Farmersville!!!

Farmer Ted
06-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Most of the people that I know that work in Greenville live around Rockwall (to the west) or south towards Lake Tawakoni. Only about 5% of the people I know live in Greenville and none with kids. Sorry I don't know anything about the skiing opportunities.

Looking at a job with L3?

Thanks Dan!

the job is at the L3 plant but it's an active duty position.

G-man
06-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Farmer

If you come this way bring your ski, I'll show you Princeton Lakes. Check the south central tourn guide, Willow bend is a private lake X2 in Greenville. The owner is a really nice guy. He could fill you in on the area.

Farmer Ted
06-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Farmer

If you come this way bring your ski, I'll show you Princeton Lakes. Check the south central tourn guide, Willow bend is a private lake X2 in Greenville. The owner is a really nice guy. He could fill you in on the area.

Thanks G!

Willowbend....is that the place with the ski and fly or fly and ski?

michael freeman
06-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks Dan!

the job is at the L3 plant but it's an active duty position.

I work at L3 (Link Simulation), in Arlington (DFW area). I have no insight into the division of L3 you will be working with in Greenville, but I enjoy working for Link (most of the time ;). Of course our CEO, Frank Lanza, just passed a couple of days ago, so there are a few unknowns as the 'powers that be' decide who gets to lead the way.

I grew up in the DFW area, so I see Greenville as a small town type place, where the gas stations close at 10pm instead of 24 hour type stores. I would assume your dollar would go a long way out there, but have no idea what it is really like, this is just my best guess.

Farmer Ted
06-08-2006, 08:05 AM
I work at L3 (Link Simulation), in Arlington (DFW area). I have no insight into the division of L3 you will be working with in Greenville, but I enjoy working for Link (most of the time ;). Of course our CEO, Frank Lanza, just passed a couple of days ago, so there are a few unknowns as the 'powers that be' decide who gets to lead the way.

I grew up in the DFW area, so I see Greenville as a small town type place, where the gas stations close at 10pm instead of 24 hour type stores. I would assume your dollar would go a long way out there, but have no idea what it is really like, this is just my best guess.

Micheal,

Thanks for the heads up, I'm not sure what the division is but I'd be a part of the Det working with -135s. I was in the Recce program for 6 years and would love to get back into that world.

G-man
06-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks G!

Willowbend....is that the place with the ski and fly or fly and ski?

No that's Alan Hendricks ski school that Eastie goes to and I need to go to.

michael freeman
06-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Micheal,

Thanks for the heads up, I'm not sure what the division is but I'd be a part of the Det working with -135s. I was in the Recce program for 6 years and would love to get back into that world.

Here is a link to the division I believe is out in Greenville

http://www.l-3com.com/is/

I work for this division:

http://www.link.com/

tex
06-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Farmer,

Come on down. I'll drive for you! It would be nice to have a cocktail with you!

sanjuan23
06-08-2006, 10:18 AM
This world just keeps getting smaller and smaller. L3 Greenville one of our biggest customers.

DanC
06-08-2006, 04:26 PM
I talked with a couple of people at L3. They said stay south, or west of Greenville. South down Old Mill is good. There is some new housing starts down Dent road in the $130k range. Royce area is booming, new schools going in and it is a 20 minute drive to L3. If the job is in Det 2 I can put in a good word for you if you want.

east tx skier
06-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Farmer, I emailed my friend, but she apparently went home sick before she got it. I'll keep you posted, but it sounds like you've got some good info to work with already.

tex
06-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Are you talking Lower Greenville? A lot of good pubs!

Farmer Ted
06-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Farmer,

Come on down. I'll drive for you! It would be nice to have a cocktail with you!

Tex,

It would be my honor to ski with you driving and through back a cocktail or twelve!

I pulled the trigger and applied, after talking it over with the wife and the considering the opportunities that exist there with the USAF and L3 after retirement I believe it will be a good move if I get the job.

east tx skier
06-08-2006, 05:34 PM
And still just about an hour from me (but in Texas). I like where this is going.

shepherd
06-08-2006, 05:34 PM
I work at L3 (Link Simulation), in Arlington (DFW area).

MF, do you know a guy named Jeff Page? He's a L3 computer guy who works simulation stuff out there, but is based in Orlando (but he's been working full time in DFW area for over a year now). If you know him, tell him Shepherd said to go home to Orlando and play some poker! :cool: He'll know what you mean.

... end threadjack

(999 posts --- I need to get out and ski more :mad: )

Farmer Ted
06-08-2006, 05:37 PM
I talked with a couple of people at L3. They said stay south, or west of Greenville. South down Old Mill is good. There is some new housing starts down Dent road in the $130k range. Royce area is booming, new schools going in and it is a 20 minute drive to L3. If the job is in Det 2 I can put in a good word for you if you want.

Thanks Dan!

The housing allowance is $1265 a month so I should be able to find suitable digs

I just found out it's a DCMA slot and it's not with Det 2, I sent my info to a pal that works in Det 2 thanks for the offer!

michael freeman
06-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Are you talking Lower Greenville? A lot of good pubs!

:) Just so you don't get your hopes up. Lower Greenville is a road north of downtown Dallas with a lot of pubs. I would guess Greenville (city) is about an hour east of Dallas.

michael freeman
06-08-2006, 07:04 PM
MF, do you know a guy named Jeff Page? He's a L3 computer guy who works simulation stuff out there, but is based in Orlando (but he's been working full time in DFW area for over a year now). If you know him, tell him Shepherd said to go home to Orlando and play some poker! :cool: He'll know what you mean.

... end threadjack

(999 posts --- I need to get out and ski more :mad: )

I don't think I've seen him. He is probably working Army programs if he is from Orlando. I work with Air Force programs in the A-30 building across the street from where he is presently chained to his desk. ;)

Farmer Ted
06-29-2006, 11:39 PM
I understand that property taxes are high in Texas,

I heard that property taxes are expected to go down this year due to
schools getting funded by a new source (no longer included on property tax bill)

can any of you Texans confirm this?

sanjuan23
06-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Easty probably follows more than I do. Just got done fighting my own property tax issue. But from what I gather we are going to see a 1/3 cut in taxes over the next couple of years. Somewhere in the field of 1/3 of 1/3rd this year and the next to follow. Someone who is more tapped in fill in the blanks.

Farmer Ted
06-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Easty probably follows more than I do. Just got done fighting my own property tax issue. But from what I gather we are going to see a 1/3 cut in taxes over the next couple of years. Somewhere in the field of 1/3 of 1/3rd this year and the next to follow. Someone who is more tapped in fill in the blanks.

Is that correct that it's due to school funding coming from elsewhere?

sanjuan23
06-29-2006, 11:54 PM
I dont know the specifics and dont like to jump on something without researching it fully but I just dont see where they think they are getting this other funding from. Maybe the lottery that was supposed to go to the schools when we signed it into law 12 years ago.

sanjuan23
06-29-2006, 11:56 PM
My battle was insane they jumped my property tax value almost 25% in one year. :eek: Had to pull in the reigns and say no freakin' way.

Farmer Ted
06-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Doug, Ric, or Tex,

you's guys have anything to add?

Ric
06-30-2006, 08:30 AM
Figure that your property tax in Texas is about 3% of your assesed value (annually) We have no state income tax.

GW passed a law before he left that property taxes could not be increased... He left out one little detail... Nothing to stop counties from sending assessments thru the roof.. Alot of that has been cleared up now and the reality is that the assessments are typically lower than the actual market value and (I believe) they can only jump your assessment a maximum 10% annually, not matter what the value jump actually is.

Farmer, you will want to file for homestead exemption immediately upon buying.

If you buy a new home you can get about a year on them because your initial taxes will be based on the value of the land only for about a year. Be ready for the shock when it's re-assessed though.

Some people are diligent about protesting their assesments each year, but the state knows that many are not. If you really think about it, if you fight to cut your asessment by $10k, you saved yourself $300 this year.... Ok, it is not chump change and I'd rather buy gas than pay it to the state, but you see my point.

Ric
06-30-2006, 08:31 AM
I am a fan of NOT escrowing taxes and insurance.. I am a big boy and can take care of it myself. Escrow jumps all over the place for reasons I cannot grasp. I don't do it anymore FWIW.

Ric
06-30-2006, 08:35 AM
oh and ya, my 3% will drop a bit as this new school tax law takes affect.
Your school taxes are your biggest property tax and they vary in different areas of the state.
School tax is supposed to drop and it will drop more in high tax districts than in low tax districts the way I read it. It will be gradual and you can bet it's coming from somewhere. (we have an aggie in the Gov's Mansion)
Supposedly it will be made up by removing some franchise tax loopholes putting the burden on eeevill businesses. I am a simple man, who will pay for that? hmmmm......

sanjuan23
06-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Yup has to come from somewhere. The cycle of taxation. They reduce my property tax but close loopholes for small businesses which means my owner becomes less frugal and the reduction in taxes is a wash. But it's an election year :mad:

michael freeman
07-01-2006, 09:52 AM
I understand that property taxes are high in Texas,

I heard that property taxes are expected to go down this year due to
schools getting funded by a new source (no longer included on property tax bill)

can any of you Texans confirm this?

I've heard about it, but I haven't seen anything.

I pay about 2.5% property tax each year at this time. My understanding is that they are going to tax tobacco products and a few other things to cover the lost income from property taxes. I will be surprised if they totally do away with the school portion of the tax. It is close to 2% of the 2.5% tax charged.

Farmer Ted
07-01-2006, 10:56 AM
I've heard about it, but I haven't seen anything.

I pay about 2.5% property tax each year at this time. My understanding is that they are going to tax tobacco products and a few other things to cover the lost income from property taxes. I will be surprised if they totally do away with the school portion of the tax. It is close to 2% of the 2.5% tax charged.

I was really surprised when I looked up the taxes some folks pay there.
Here in Bossier I pay $600 a year (with homestead exemption) I believe a comparable house in Hunt County Texas would be close to $2,500.

Last I heard the job was down to myself and someone from Andrews, sure would be tough to beat a guy who gets the President to write him a letter of recommendation......but my man at Det 2 said they were leaning towards me because of my RJ experience!

should find out next week hopefully.

east tx skier
07-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed. You gonna make it to ski school on the 17th?