PDA

View Full Version : TIPS for intermediate wakeboarder

dapicatti
06-07-2006, 02:52 AM
I have been wakeboarding on and off for the last few years behind a run about boat. We recently purchased a new 2006 X2. I am running about 19 MPH and 75' of rope and cannot seem to jump the wake or get a great deal of air on my jumps.

What speed and rope length do you recommend for my skill level? I know the problem is 95% me but am thinking I need to go to about 60/65' and maybe 22MPH to get more speed for my jumps.

erkoehler
06-07-2006, 02:52 AM
Didn't you have a 190 before this?

PendO
06-07-2006, 03:02 AM
I have been wakeboarding on and off for the last few years behind a run about boat. We recently purchased a new 2006 X2. I am running about 19 MPH and 75' of rope and cannot seem to jump the wake or get a great deal of air on my jumps.

What speed and rope length do you recommend for my skill level? I know the problem is 95% me but am thinking I need to go to about 60/65' and maybe 22MPH to get more speed for my jumps.

Get a 75' line that has 3@ 5' removable sections, shorten the line to 60' plus the handle and progress from there ... I would highly reccoment a true wakeboarding line (non stretch) http://www.straightlinewatersports.com/gear/wake/wake_lines.html

IMO your speed is plenty adequate to get over the wake at a 60' line.
here is a link to the wakeboard lines and handles for sale on wakeside:

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/CTGY/wakeboarding_gear_wakeboard_handles

also, check out www.wakesiderides.com and you might get some advice from boarders and www.wakeworld.com is also a good wakeboard site.

Hoff1
06-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I agree with the 60’ plus handle length. I learned with 55’ plus handle actually. Always easier to learn with less rope, will take less speed too. The zero-stretch rope is a huge help too. I have 2 of these zero-stretch ropes, but one of them is much worse than the other. I rode the less expensive rope for about 2 years before I switched back to the more expensive line. Makes an immediate difference. Coughing up another $30-40 for the line will be worth it in my opinion.

mitch
06-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I agree, 55' or 60' @ 20mph is fine. As you edge toward the wake, make sure you hold the edge thru the top of the wake, don't let up, as everyone has a natural tendency to flatten the board out at the top of the wake. Stand tall, and try and keep the handle close to your leading hip.

WakePowell
06-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Here are a few other items to look at when learning your wake to wake jumps:

1) I have not ridden behind an X-2 so I am not sure what your wake looks like at 19 MPH it seems a little slow. Make sure that there is no washing of the wake (white water) where you are making your cut up the wake. If there is washing you need to adjust the weight in the boat and may need to speed up a little. When you have washing of the wake it slow the boards acceleration for the jump and the water is not firm enough to lift you into the air.
2) Learn how to make a solid progressive edge cut toward the wake. Having a solid edge as you ride up the wake is extremely important to harnessing the energy required to clear the wake. Additionally it will provide you with a tight line which gives you good control when you are in the air.
3) If you have not done so yet buy the DVD “Higher Education” it is the best instructional video that I have found that really gives you the knowledge to progress from beginner through intermediate and beyond.

tex
06-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I bet your rope or your speed is not the issue. Think about making a progressive cut to the wake. Turn slow and gain speed all the way to the wake. People have the tendency to want to turn hard and actually loose speed by the time they hit the wake. By making slow turn and speeding up all the way to the wake you do cause yourself to explode off the wake and load the line better. Keep your head up and GREAT LUCK!

Harvey
06-07-2006, 02:27 PM
75' and 19 mph is not going to work unless you have a really good grasp of progessive edging. I would recomend taking in the rope and bumping up the speed. It is really a learning process. If I drop my rope length to learn a new trick I also drop boat speed. I ride most of the time at 65' at 22.5 mph. If I shorten the rope to 60 to learn a new trick then I drop speed to 21.5. If I want to go big and ride at 75' then I bump up to 23 or 23.5. Just have the driver play with the speed going in small increments till you feel comfortable. Then work on your progressive edge and develop a good edge so that you can cross the wake at different lengths.

rodltg2
06-07-2006, 02:31 PM
TIPS for intermediate wakeboarder

sorry to break it to you, but ... your still a beginner..

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 02:39 PM
sorry to break it to you, but ... your still a beginner..

ANd your still a Malibu owner! :D :wavey:

bamboo
06-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I'd go with 60' or 65' of rope and 21 - 22mph, a little faster will thin the wake out, but it's really more cheating in my opinion. Not only that, it won't feel good to fall. (When does falling ever feel good? )

It's all about the edge. I spent 6 months trying to figure out how to do it, and I realized it's not about an "ollie". I would edge perfectly and then stop, flatten out and lose all my momentum by trying to ollie the board.

Try edging through the wake and leaning back hard into a seated position. It's all about the tension on the rope and the release that's really giving you the pop off the wake.

As soon as you get the edging down, you'll be amazed how far you'll go.

dapicatti
06-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Get a 75' line that has 3@ 5' removable sections, shorten the line to 60' plus the handle and progress from there ... I would highly reccoment a true wakeboarding line (non stretch) http://www.straightlinewatersports.com/gear/wake/wake_lines.html

IMO your speed is plenty adequate to get over the wake at a 60' line.
here is a link to the wakeboard lines and handles for sale on wakeside:

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/CTGY/wakeboarding_gear_wakeboard_handles

also, check out www.wakesiderides.com and you might get some advice from boarders and www.wakeworld.com is also a good wakeboard site.

Thanks for all the info and links. I will have plenty of homework tonight!

dapicatti
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
No, just an old Cobalt 19', deep v, I/O. Nice boat when it ran. Slow out of the water and HUGE, but not clean, wake.

dapicatti
06-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I loved your response. I know, I do really suck but who wants to start a thread that way?

rodltg2
06-07-2006, 06:36 PM
i was just playin..... :D

rodltg2
06-07-2006, 06:36 PM

and im still skiing!!

feydakin
06-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I would practice your edging more too ... in "The Book" DVD they tell you to practice edging as hard as you can right through both wakes (actually soaking up the wake with your knees and going all the way through to the other side). Once you can do this at high speed then all you have to do is stand up like previous posters ahve said at the wake. It's all about edging - I see alot og guys that have no control edging but try to jump and do tricks constantly. Get that down and everything else will fall into place.

H20skeefreek
06-07-2006, 09:09 PM
and a d#ck

TonyB
06-08-2006, 12:40 PM
and im still skiing!!
You're still dropping a ski, right.

Don't worry Rod, that deep water start will come soon enough.

88 PS190
06-08-2006, 02:13 PM
lol... nice one Tony.