PDA

View Full Version : Impeller puller?

Leroy
06-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Anyone ever use one of these to pull their impeller? Looks like it will work, may need a bit of grinding on the clamps.

Tom023
06-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Definitely need to grind the clamps. I'm wondering if they would have enough force to hold onto the impeller, if you can't get behind it, as you turn the knob to pull it out. My puller has thumb screws on the clamps to tighten them into the impreller so it gets a good grip. Looks like a good cheaper alternative if it works.

88 PS190
06-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Personally a set of those paint can openers work really well for like 2 bucks you slip one in both sides and just haul it out.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 09:06 AM
I'd guess the arms will bend before the prop pops....

bigmac
06-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Personally a set of those paint can openers work really well for like 2 bucks you slip one in both sides and just haul it out.The paint can opener trick won't work on a V-drive -- not enough room behind the engine to get any leverage. You can't pull straight back.

The faucet puller may work with a lot of modification. The arms would have to be ground down to nubs and sharpened so they'd bite well into the rubber, or they'd have to be thin enough to get behind the impeller between it and the back of the pump housing. And they would have to fit not only between the impeller and pump housing, but also between the vanes of the impeller itself.

#47of100TeamMC
06-07-2006, 09:31 AM

pulling the R/W Impeller I believe is the intended use.

Leroy
06-07-2006, 09:32 AM
DO you mean like these?

Personally a set of those paint can openers work really well for like 2 bucks you slip one in both sides and just haul it out.

Leroy
06-07-2006, 09:33 AM
I would agree, this is for the impeller, not going to pull another one without help, such a pain on the V-drive.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 09:35 AM
I would agree, this is for the impeller, not going to pull another one without help, such a pain on the V-drive.
Whoops. I guess I need to read slower.......:o

bigmac
06-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Whoops. I guess I need to read slower.......:oOr maybe Leroy needs to type slower... :D

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Or maybe Leroy needs to type slower... :DThat's a given.......

Kevin 89MC
06-07-2006, 05:16 PM
DO you mean like these?
Finally, a pic of what I've tried to describe here many times! (The pic probably didn't transfer here, though) Two of those have yet to fail me. One does work, but 2 are better. Bigmac, you said you have no room on a V-drive to pull straight back, but could you use one of these and then stick a big screwdriver through the loop part to act as a lever to pop it off? Just curious.

Hoosier Bob
06-07-2006, 05:19 PM
I use allen wrenches. They are strong and seem to work perfectly. Anytime I have had resistance I use the vice grips to hold the allen. :D

bigmac
06-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Finally, a pic of what I've tried to describe here many times! (The pic probably didn't transfer here, though) Two of those have yet to fail me. One does work, but 2 are better. Bigmac, you said you have no room on a V-drive to pull straight back, but could you use one of these and then stick a big screwdriver through the loop part to act as a lever to pop it off? Just curious.Yeh, that would work, I think. What I did was clamp on an angled needle-nose Vise-Grip, reached over the silencer and that allowed me to pull straight back.

kent
06-07-2006, 10:23 PM
I like the paint can openers idea .I'm going to give it a try.
You can purchase an impeller puller from skidim
Kent

Leroy
06-07-2006, 11:52 PM
I think slow to make up for my fast typing!

Or maybe Leroy needs to type slower... :D

Brent
06-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I purchased something very much like that (a valve puller)& found out it would not work to pull the impeller as the tow bar is in the way! :(

atlfootr
07-21-2006, 12:07 PM
I like the paint can openers idea .I'm going to give it a try.
You can purchase an impeller puller from skidim
KentHope this helps you guys ....
:)

Detailed Description

JABSCO IMPELLER PULLER
1-9/16" to 2-9/16"
Item :JAB50070-0040
Price : $53.31

This new tool provides an easy way of removing flexible impellers from a pumps impeller bore. Simply tighten the tools grip fingers into the rubber hub of the impeller and turn the extraction screw clockwise to pull the impeller out of the pump. This puller fits impellers with overall diameters from 1-9/16" to 2-9/16". Especially handy for V-Drive configurations.

*You need a minimum clearance of about 5" between the pump and hull/floor etc.*