PDA

View Full Version : I did not change those...

86Craft
06-06-2006, 06:20 PM
When I re-done my trailer a couple of years ago, the only thing I did not replace was the leaf springs. Well, last Sunday going home, and going over a overpass on a four lane, I heard a metal bang-bang! It sounded like the chains came off, and were dragging on the pavement. Nope, broken right side spring. :eek: Lucky I was only 8 miles from home, and two of the four springs were not broken. I limped it home slowly. I replace both sides springs ($74.00 for both) in three hours. 20 year old trailer, loaded most of its life, it sort of makes sense. Spraying down the underneath with wd-40 every once in a while paid off as all the bolts came right off. Not sure how you can look at a spring and know it is going to "let go" on the next big bump?

tex
06-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Mine went out on my old trailer. i was shocked at how cheap it was to replace and it was like a whole new trailer.

86Craft
06-06-2006, 09:05 PM
I agree, the boat pulls alot better on rough roads. Should of done it before, and would of, if I knew the cost was under $75.00.

Kevin 89MC
06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
I snapped a leaf spring last year going over a pothole (slowly, thankfully). My tire was rubbing on the fender. I jacked it up, wedged two 2X4's under it, secured it with duct tape, and made it home fine. The local spring guy I bought them from said there is often no warning signs, they just up and break. I noticed no improvement, in fact still have a squeak that I need to chase down & grease. Pretty easy fix, though.

Ryan
06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Alright now you guys are freakin' me out. I'm driving to Lake Mead tomorrow on some rusting springs, the bolts are kinda ugly. I replaced the springs when I got the boat 2.5 years ago.

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Mine are 13 years old. You worry too much.

/knocks frantically on wood.

Willski
06-15-2006, 01:59 PM
86 Craft. Where did you get your springs? I have an '84 with original springs on the trailer. I am taking a 450 mile trip this summer and I'm thinking of either replacing them, or just having some with me.

richardsoncd
06-15-2006, 04:00 PM
86 Craft. Where did you get your springs? I have an '84 with original springs on the trailer. I am taking a 450 mile trip this summer and I'm thinking of either replacing them, or just having some with me.

:eek: I tow 45 minutes and I am pretty sure mine are the original '79's...think I might be replacing those bad boys.

Ryan
06-15-2006, 04:08 PM
For anyone replacing their springs, I highly recommend you get some convex leaf springs that have a similar load as the horizontal versions that came stock on most MC trailers. You'll get much better clearance on your prop guard.

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Ryan, what's a good source for these? Since you and I have the same boat, do you have a PN?

Ryan
06-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Ryan, what's a good source for these? Since you and I have the same boat, do you have a PN?

Les and less can I run out to the garage anymore. I'll have to check when I get home.

east tx skier
06-15-2006, 06:58 PM
No hurry. Is yours the MC single axle trailer?

Ryan
06-15-2006, 07:34 PM
No hurry. Is yours the MC single axle trailer?

Yes it is a single axle.

Willski
06-15-2006, 11:54 PM
For anyone replacing their springs, I highly recommend you get some convex leaf springs that have a similar load as the horizontal versions that came stock on most MC trailers. You'll get much better clearance on your prop guard.

My 84 doesn't have a prop/rudder guard, so a little more clearance would be welcomed. I have to be careful even backing into my own driveway from the street!

Ryan
06-23-2006, 03:33 PM
I finally looked at my original invoice, and there is no part number listed.

Any of these links should work. For $80-$100 you can stop nearly all driveway scraping. Just double check the length of your springs and pick an appropriate load rating. If you find a good price and the length isn't exact, that works too, because the rear mounting braket allows for some leeway. Replace you're bolts while you're at it too.

I suppose you could go for a pretty high lb rating, but you don't want the stereo in your boat falling out of it's mount when you go over railroad tracks. I think mine were a combined 4,500-5,000 lb rating, and it bounces along just fine.

http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/product.php?productid=1448&cat=75&page=1

http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/product.php?productid=1449&cat=75&page=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50073&item=4583157064

east tx skier
06-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks, Ryan.

rasmithaz
06-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks Ryan.......East texas let me know what springs we are buying and I'll get busy on the trailer.

east tx skier
06-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Oh, I think this will be a winter project for me. For some reason, I'm looking at portable courses again.

87 TriStar 190
07-11-2006, 02:26 AM
My brother-in-law just had a spring break on his '92 BF 200 while on his way to the lake for vacation. Had one put on at a trailer repair shop, but it sits about 1 1/2 inches lower on that side than the original. His tire rubs the fender on bumpy roads. Not a good thing. Any idea of the original load rating and where he could get one quickly. Needs it this week.

Second question. I have an '87 TriStar 190 with the tandem axle trailer. I put one inch blocks between the axle and springs to raise it an inch so I could get into the drive without scraping. Should I think about replacing the springs also. Any problem with the tandem springs? The boat is always on the trailer, except when it's in the water. No shore station or summers off for the trailer.

Thanks for any advice.