PDA

View Full Version : People are buying new MC boats like there is no tomorrow !!

boatless
06-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Wow, I was at my local MC dealer and notice that people are buying new boats left and right. Which is a good sign, but do they know some thing that I don't ? I am bidding on a 2005 197 prostar with 51 hrs and never has been title before for $41,000.00 out the door. That is nothing compare to all these bigger MC that was sold at the dealer. Have you guy notice that the MC boat market is hot !!!

east tx skier
06-06-2006, 04:49 PM
New vinyl smell and depreciation is all the rage for 06. And that's a good thing for people like me who buy used, which is, of course, good for the guys who buy new and sell soon, too. We all fit into the puzzle somewhere. And that's nothing but good for MC.

G-man
06-06-2006, 04:55 PM
A quick check in the NADA book (not on line) shows 30,500 avr, 35,690 high, 25,930 low retail, includes trailer and not options.

PendO
06-06-2006, 05:17 PM
if only my dealership had the capacity to service all the boats they sold ... now that would be a concept!

Wow, I was at my local MC dealer and notice that people are buying new boats left and right. Have you guy notice that the MC boat market is hot !!!

boatless
06-06-2006, 05:27 PM
G-man,

Thanks for the look up. This boat has the power slot, bimini top, fiberglass platform, heater, perfect pass, stainless grab rail for pulling the tubing and the trailer.

PendO
06-06-2006, 05:31 PM
G-man,

Thanks for the look up. This boat has the power slot, bimini top, fiberglass platform, heater, perfect pass, stainless grab rail for pulling the tubing and the trailer.

boatless, does if have a tower? What engine? Ballast? What stereo? Tandem or Single axel trailer? Amp & Subwoofer?

PendO
06-06-2006, 05:41 PM
also, what engine (I will assume either MCX or LQ9) and what version of perfect pass?

boatless
06-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Sorry,

It has the 310 horse engine with the power slot, does not has a tower, no amp or subwoofer, it has standard cd with four speakers, single axel trailer, no ballast, and I know that it has the upgrade perfect pass not the standard one. This boat was being use by a prof skier, the reason he only has 51hrs on it was because he hurt his leg so could not use the boat much. The dealer is selling it with full warranty. Let me know if the price is right. $41,000.00 out the door. In Michigan, there is a 6% tax and is included in the price with registration and all.

rodltg2
06-06-2006, 05:58 PM
maybe its great for mastercraft, but all these new boat owners will be flooding our lakes . ( not so good ) ive already gave up on public water skiing about 3 years ago and now,i wont even jump in for a swim its become so dangerous. i think the fact that anyone can qualify and you can finance for 20 years makes it easy for alot of new boat owners. i beleive thats why i see guys barely 20 with brand new xstars...

erkoehler
06-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I'll sit quietly and not comment....

boatless
06-06-2006, 06:30 PM
erk,

Why would you not commenting ? Let it rip.

erkoehler
06-06-2006, 06:33 PM
erk,

PM at you....

PendO
06-06-2006, 06:53 PM
erk,

erk is probably not commenting b/c he can't (being an MC salesman and all) ... okay, so the price includes your 6% sales tax?

boatless
06-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Yep, I would pay $41,000.0 and get the boat with no extra cost.

erkoehler
06-06-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm sure Action Watersports is working on getting you the best deal that they can.

PendO
06-06-2006, 08:03 PM
just for comparison to the 05, here is a used 2003 (http://www.jrwatersports.com/inventory_detail.asp?formname=new&from=search&currdiid=696522&tab=&site_type=template&navigate=true&searchtype=AN&isIFRAME=false&reqStyle=&Site_cid=&Lead_source=) for sale by a MC dealer and a used 2005 (http://www.jrwatersports.com/inventory_detail.asp?formname=new&from=search&currdiid=641651&tab=&site_type=template&navigate=true&searchtype=AN&isIFRAME=false&reqStyle=&Site_cid=&Lead_source=) both are in florida, but may be good comparables when trying to work your deal.

Just notice that the used TT in florida is a TT:)

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 09:04 AM
One of the guys just sold one of his boats, and he now wants to be one of the first on the wait list for an '07 MC. I admire his goals, just wish I could fund them in a similar fashion.

RobertT
06-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't mind letting this fly...

I bought an 04 X7 in late 05 for under 40k.

It had obviously a tower, board racks, factory tower bimini, pull up cleats, MCX, Perfect Pass Wakeboard/digital pro, LED lighting, Factory sub, factory amp, ballast system, 3 way heater, obviously a trailer, cover, bow cover, etc.

For what its worth. I would guess that the options that I have are probably worth 6-8k.

My neighbor bought an 04 equipped like yours, no hours brand new in 05, for under 35k.

RobertT
06-07-2006, 09:43 AM
By the way. I REALLY wish that somewhere there was a list of all options with the list or MSRP on them. Not cost or invoice of course, just list price. If you are going to order a boat, how do you know whats worth it and whats not? A stereo system is a good example. If a stock stereo system with a sub and amp is 3k, I would order without. If its 1k, I would go ahead and save myself the trouble of putting a good system in.

Another good example is a transom stereo remote. I didn't get one, and spent a ton of time and effort installing one. Probably close to $200 just in parts.

I asked what it would have cost to get it from the factory....they said about 200 bucks. Grrrrrrr. Its hard to make good decisions without accurate information to base it on.

I feel your pain man. Three things are absolutely certain.

1. At some point you will feel like you didn't get the best deal or you could have done better (cars are the same way, as you know).

2. You will immediately find similar used boats for much less all over your area.

3. You will be very happy with your new boat!!!!

I would bet every owner on this board that bought new has had all three of those thoughts/emotions the first few months of ownership.

LakePirate
06-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I ran into a guy last night who is going to buy an 83 stars & stripes for 5500 this weekend. Engine was just rebuilt and new interior. Not new, but buying none the less.

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Just remember, it's only new until you turn the key.

RobertT
06-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I have a friend who is buying a used Mastercraft, and doesn't even know what he is looking at. He went through all of the local papers, and called me because he couldn't figure out why Mastercrafts were so dang expensive while the others seemed cheap for the same year.

I explained...resale value. Nothing holds its value better. He made the decision to buy a mastercraft simply for that reason and no other.

I think people are starting to see that the cost of ownership based on cost - resale/years owned is lower on a Mastercraft than any other boat including the "value" models like a Moomba/etc.

It just makes sense.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Just remember, it's only new until you turn the key.
Yes, but it is the first turn.......(after the manuf. test of course:o )

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Yes, but it is the first turn.......(after the manuf. test of course:o )

While I've not had the pleasure of a "first" turn (and it sounds nice), I cannot wait to turn the key on mine once again.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 11:05 AM
I hear that. There is something about new I can't describe. Is it knowing it has been serviced properly, or ego, or is it just knowing you have the latest technology the world has to offer, or something else. I am not sure......:confused:

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 11:09 AM
I'll say it again. I'm glad there are folks out there that buy new so it can some day trickle down upon cheap skates like myself

NORTHERN LIGHTS
06-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Wow, I was at my local MC dealer and notice that people are buying new boats left and right. Which is a good sign, but do they know some thing that I don't ? I am bidding on a 2005 197 prostar with 51 hrs and never has been title before for $41,000.00 out the door. That is nothing compare to all these bigger MC that was sold at the dealer. Have you guy notice that the MC boat market is hot !!!
My tt will be one year(to me) old next week. i paid 39k with 100 hrs and all options. i mean ALL options. towers speakers lq9 ballast, water temp ,air temp,pp,lights dual axel trailer,, ect ect ect.
41 seems a bit high. It is the season, but looking around will do wonders on your pocketbook.

I too do not buy new--my boat new 71,000
used 100 hours mint condition 1 year old 39k
da?

NORTHERN LIGHTS
06-07-2006, 12:14 PM
I'll say it again. I'm glad there are folks out there that buy new so it can some day trickle down upon cheap skates like myself
i wouldn't say cheap at all.
smart-yeah
cheap- no
i love the people who need the lastest and greatest.
thats how i pay 30k less for a boat that was used 4 months :D

stevo137
06-07-2006, 12:15 PM
The banks are also building very nice "brand new" buildings.

stevo137
06-07-2006, 12:16 PM
smart-yeah
cheap- no
Smart man.
I enjoy having no car or boat payments. ;)

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 12:24 PM
smart-yeah
cheap- no

I meant it as self flattery. I encourage you all to buy new boats every year. Preferably red 190s.

tex
06-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Everytime I turn the key on mine, it's like the first time! A big dumb grin goes accross my face!

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Smart man.
You keep the supplies coming, I'll keep buying....One day we'll get to see you in that new boat, (on your own private lake of course;) )
Paid in cash.....In tow by the company car....:D

NORTHERN LIGHTS
06-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Smart man.
me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

starman205
06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Everytime I turn the key on mine, it's like the first time! A big dumb grin goes accross my face!

Same thing happens to me!!!!!!!!!! :steering:

PendO
06-07-2006, 03:12 PM
My tt will be one year(to me) old next week. i paid 39k with 100 hrs and all options. i mean ALL options. towers speakers lq9 ballast, water temp ,air temp,pp,lights dual axel trailer,, ect ect ect.
41 seems a bit high. It is the season, but looking around will do wonders on your pocketbook.

I too do not buy new--my boat new 71,000
used 100 hours mint condition 1 year old 39k
da?

exactly ............... that is a good buy ... if it is the same hull 03-06 I'd look only at the hours and gel coat condition for depreciation

jraben8
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex

Same thing happens to me!!!!!!!!!!

They ought to list this in the accessories part of the brochure as a standard feature.

dapicatti
06-07-2006, 04:16 PM
The banks are also building very nice "brand new" buildings.

Yes indeed they are, and they are also paying my wifes salary! :)

boatless
06-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Just want to take the time and say thanks to Eric for taking the time to talk to me. That blue boat does looks nice with all the options, but the color will not do it for us.

Boat payments are a drag, but some time I just want to enjoy my life and buying the thing I could aford and have fun while I am still young at 41 years old. I could save the money in the bank, but what I am going to do with it if I laid in bed and can't even feed myself when I am 80 years old ? :D Work hard and enjoy life while we can still do it that is the ticket. :headbang:

Now, could some one find me a better deal ??? :wavey:

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Where are you located and what are you looking for.

boatless
06-07-2006, 05:24 PM
east tx skier,
I am from Michigan and looking for a 2005 197 prostar with an mcx with less then 150hrs or so. Color preference is some what red/white or reverse gel coat. I was looking for a 2005 or 2006 tt boat with 120hrs or less.

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, the 2005 TT boats were black. 2006 is reverse red. I know of a 2005 TT 197 that was for sale in MO. I know of another in Texas. The price I've seen them going for has been pretty consistant.

So are you only looking for a TT boat, or would any 197 2005--2006 do for you. Not that I'm selling em, but I happen to see them from time to time and could keep you posted.

rodltg2
06-07-2006, 05:37 PM
east tx skier,
I am from Michigan and looking for a 2005 197 prostar with an mcx with less then 150hrs or so. Color preference is some what red/white or reverse gel coat. I was looking for a 2005 or 2006 tt boat with 120hrs or less.

youll need to pick one or the other, the year or the color..

boatless
06-07-2006, 05:56 PM
east tx skier,

No, it does not has to be a tt 197. I would like to get a 2005 with an mcx and power slot. Color dis like is yellow, blue, and all black. Hours should be less than 150.

rodltg2,

I know that the 2005 tt has a black and white and the 2006 tt has red and white. My wife is due in July with our first kid so I can wait for the 2006 tt 197.

This weekend, we are thinking about closing the deal with the local dealer on the boat I mentioned. They would not budge on the price due to beginning for the season and that people are buying boat like crazy. We want to pay $40,000 out the door and they want to stay at $41,000. The boat looks nice and all, but I still think they could come down a little bit more for my liking. :D The people at the dealer are nice and do like the service they have there. So this is a tough choice. I need to do some thing quick, cause I am getting tire of my sign on name (boatless).

Thanks,

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Boatless, the 2005 TT (Black reverse gel coat) in Texas is listed at $38K.

www.dallasboats4sale.com

May be a bit of a drive, but it gives you an idea as to what one of those can be had for.

stevo137
06-07-2006, 06:00 PM
You guys just keep that ole economy going, we need it. Buy those toys! I'll watch. ;)

Mag_Red
06-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Boatless, the 2005 TT (Black reverse gel coat) in Texas is listed at $38K.

www.dallasboats4sale.com

May be a bit of a drive, but it gives you an idea as to what one of those can be had for.That's a nice looking boat :headbang:

AZHAWK
06-07-2006, 11:23 PM
I want to get an '05 or '06 X-Star or poss. an '06 X-2....looks like with the way they are selling now I should be able to get a good deal on a pre-owned one with low hours next year or so. :D

I considered new, but I still can't swallow 70-80g's for a boat. I just refuse to have anything but a MasterCraft! :headbang:

rodltg2
06-08-2006, 12:59 PM
east tx skier,

No, it does not has to be a tt 197. I would like to get a 2005 with an mcx and power slot. Color dis like is yellow, blue, and all black. Hours should be less than 150.

rodltg2,

I know that the 2005 tt has a black and white and the 2006 tt has red and white. My wife is due in July with our first kid so I can wait for the 2006 tt 197.

This weekend, we are thinking about closing the deal with the local dealer on the boat I mentioned. They would not budge on the price due to beginning for the season and that people are buying boat like crazy. We want to pay $40,000 out the door and they want to stay at $41,000. The boat looks nice and all, but I still think they could come down a little bit more for my liking. :D The people at the dealer are nice and do like the service they have there. So this is a tough choice. I need to do some thing quick, cause I am getting tire of my sign on name (boatless).

Thanks,

a $1000 is alot of dough, but if you really like the boat it may not be worth it to loose the boat to someone else.... it happend to me...

boatless
06-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Rod,

If I loose this one I can still find another to my liking. It is not like I have a huge discount on it though compare to other boats on the market. I would love to have an MCX but the one I am looking at does not come with one, bummer.

I was told that if I buy a use 2005 MC from another owner, I have to pay around $400.00 to transfer the warranty. Is that right ?

rodltg2
06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
if you like the reverse black, the dealer has an 05 X7 loaded. its the one i almost bought before instead of the bu. i was just there and they still have it. where are you?

Evan Jones
06-08-2006, 04:39 PM
By the way. I REALLY wish that somewhere there was a list of all options with the list or MSRP on them. Not cost or invoice of course, just list price. If you are going to order a boat, how do you know whats worth it and whats not? A stereo system is a good example. If a stock stereo system with a sub and amp is 3k, I would order without. If its 1k, I would go ahead and save myself the trouble of putting a good system in.

http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=4498&forum=16&category=1

This is a link to the mymastercraft site hosted by Mastercraft of Charlotte. Mike has put a ton of useful stuff on that site, including just what you are looking for.

Evan Jones
06-08-2006, 04:49 PM
I guess that's not a complete list, but in a few other posts, he has most of the boats and their options. Just explore a little.