PDA

View Full Version : '84 American Skier?

Thrall
06-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Just talked to a guy down here who has an '84 MC "American Skier", I am not particularly familiar w/ the model. He called it a Prostar 190 as well, said the Am Skier model was kinda rare. Anyway, it has a Chrysler 440ci engine, factory. New Interior, carpet, about 1600 hrs, hull decent he said, couple chips and spider cracks in the gel.
Tower added too. Haven't seen pics.
I'm personally not interessted in the boat, but he's asking $7500. Don't know if anyone's interested, but it was in the Albuquerque Journal.

jraben8
06-06-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm trying to remember if that was the model that looked like a short snake that had swallowed a mouse?

86Craft
06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
It is not a "ProStar" for sure. 1987 and up. At first sound, I would say it is not a Mastercraft. There is/was a American Skier boat brand I believe. :popcorn:

east tx skier
06-06-2006, 04:38 PM
NSXBill had an early 80s American Skier. Maybe he'll look in and tell us about it.

jraben8
06-06-2006, 04:58 PM
This is an '82 for reference

ski_king
06-06-2006, 05:11 PM
The boat shown above was made by Amarican Skier Boat Company.
CC also made a model in the 70's know as the American Skier.

The boat company American Skier has been bought and sold many times over the years. I believe it is still alive under a new name.

I do not believe productin numbers were ever very high on A Skiers.

The dealer I bought my 82 from sold MC, CC and AS.

east tx skier
06-06-2006, 05:12 PM
The boat shown above was made by Amarican Skier Boat Company.
CC also made a model in the 70's know as the American Skier.

The boat company American Skier has been bought and sold many times over the years. I believe it is still alive under a new name.

Elan in Louisiana, correct? BrianM knows the answer to this one.

ski_king
06-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Thats it, Volante was the high end model way back when in the 80's.

I know where there is one sitting uncovered and rotting away.

The ones I skied behind had Commander engine conversions. Nice setup with stainless exaust manifolds. I believe Commander has gone out of business long ago.

Cloaked
06-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Anyway, it has a Chrysler 440ci engine, factory. ...... but he's asking $7500. Walk away from it... even at $500.

bkhallpass
06-06-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm certainly not an authority on MC models, but I've never heard of an American Skier from MC. I think perhaps the owner does not know what he has.
CC's American Skier model was discontinued in 79. The American Skier Boat company was a very popular comp boat in the 80s. One of the magazines (I think it was Waterski) even voted it tournament boat of the 80s. Like MC it was sold to a big corporation at the height of it's popularity in the 80s. Like MC it didn't do well in that environment. However, unlike MC it never recovered. Ron Tanis, the designer of the boat, bought the company back in the mid to late 90s and made a go of it, but never really got it going again.
He closed the company and its assets were bought by Ben Favret the waterskiing champion. He renamed the company Elan Boats. I haven't seen much of Elan, so I suspect they are having a tough go of it.

If the boat is an 84 American Skier by American Skier boat company, then $7500 is not a very good price in that condition. I often see those boats going for $3500 to $5000 in CA. I recently saw and 89 which was in great shape and the guy was asking $9500. I don't believe he'll ever get that much for it. BKH

bradamerry
06-06-2006, 09:29 PM
here is a newer model.................

http://www.dallasboats4sale.com/index.asp?boat_type=1

SKI*MC
06-06-2006, 09:57 PM
He is either nieve, or he is tring to pull one over on you. The only reason I think this guy says its an MC is because American Skiier made some of their boats identical to MC, just with out the stars. I saw one, my friend told to look at this MasterCraft that looked just like mine. It really did look like a stars and stripes, just missing the stars. It said American Skiier on the side, and i was almost half way impressed with how simmular that boat looked to mine. But as far as i know, MC and American skiier are two differnet companies, and there was never an MC American Skiier.

Cloaked
06-06-2006, 10:05 PM
He is either nieve, or he is tring to pull one over on you. The only reason I think this guy says its an MC is because American Skiier made some of their boats identical to MC, just with out the stars. I saw one, my friend told to look at this MasterCraft that looked just like mine. It really did look like a stars and stripes, just missing the stars. It said American Skiier on the side, and i was almost half way impressed with how simmular that boat looked to mine. But as far as i know, MC and American skiier are two differnet companies, and there was never an MC American Skiier.Always has been two different companies and boats. MC never made this hull.

Ski Supreme copied the MC hull very closely for a while, and won a court case over patent rights that MC prosecuted as violated. Those were the two boats of close similarities in the 80s, even though the AS may have looked like a wanna' be.

The guy called it an MC because he's an idiot, proving himself that within context (IMHO). It's like calling all personal watercraft, "Waverunners."

Plum stupid. :rolleyes:

I can't take it any more.

ted shred
06-06-2006, 11:58 PM
I think I remember in the 80s, a boat sold as"Pro Am skier". I think they used Master Crafts old hull molds. they were very no frills no nonsence tournament boats.

Smitty
06-07-2006, 12:03 AM
No such thing as a MC "American Skier." I grew up skiing behind an '84 AS. Built rock solid. Parents still own the boat in SW Michigan. By the way, Ron Tanis is my cousin as well. AS never used Chrysler engines. It would have been Commander in the 70's and early 80's, until they switched to Indmar in '86. '84 was the last year for the 18' sport. '85 is when they switched to the Advanced that stuck around until '01. Don't believe the hype.

BrianM
06-07-2006, 10:20 AM

American Skier was and is its own company (since 1975). Built in Kentwood Louisiana. Ben Favret (a pro skier) bought the company in 2001 renamed the company Elan (www.elanboats.com (http://www.elanboats.com/) site has not been updated in a while but there is some history of the company there) and continued to build the boats using the American Skier name as there tournament boat. The newer Elans skied awsome. In 2002 & 2003 they had an approved hull that was pulling tournaments and well liked by many skiers. I regularly skied behind one until Hurricane Katrina ate it.

Elan is not currently building boats as far as I know. A couple of years ago they moved their production to Covington, LA and last I heard (from Ben's father) Ben was working a deal with another unnamed boat company in Florida to build the boats for him. He was also in a lawsuit with AWSA that had something to do with the way they approved/tested boats.

richardsoncd
06-07-2006, 11:14 AM
like calling all personal watercraft, "Waverunners."

Coke or Soda....Coke,
Chap stick or Lip balm....Chap stick

just messing with you Sporty :wavey:

ski_king
06-07-2006, 11:30 AM
More history of AS:
...... originally founded in 1975, by Mr. Kenneth B. Elkind, from North Miami Beach, Florida. Mr. Elkind, after retiring from the offshore racing circuits, became interested in the water skiing business. He talked with top tournament drivers and skiers to determine the performance needs from each and realized he could build a better inboard ski boat than was being utilized at the time. From this came the first American Skier boat produced by Mr. Elkind in 1976.....

http://factorytoursusa.com/TourDetails.asp?TourID=278&State=LA&Search=&CategoryID=

They made a nice boat back then, but MasterCraft reigned supreme back then and still does!

NSXBill
06-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Yes, I had 82 American Skier, but with more traditional 351W. Looked like the picture posed above. Mine was in excellent condition when I sold it for $7200 2-3 yrs ago.

However, I also would pass on the 440 no matter the condition.

Thrall
06-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Well he sent me a pic. Looks like it's a S&S. Weren't they also called a "19 Skier" or something like that before the Prostar designation?
Either way, must've had his terminology messed up.
Did MC offer a 440 Mopar as an option?
Anyone if they're interested, he seems like a decent fellow and I bet he's flexible on price. The boat is out in the middle of nowhere. Won't have much of a market there for it. I probably just gave him more advertising than he has created himself.

Cloaked
06-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Well he sent me a pic. Looks like it's a S&S. Weren't they also called a "19 Skier" or something like that before the Prostar designation?
Either way, must've had his terminology messed up.
Did MC offer a 440 Mopar as an option?
Anyone if they're interested, he seems like a decent fellow and I bet he's flexible on price. The boat is out in the middle of nowhere. Won't have much of a market there for it. I probably just gave him more advertising than he has created himself.I would not even begin to give an opinion for buying based on what you have told here that he has told you.

Start with a picture that is viewable. Post the ESN and the Hull ID.
Get the hours from the meter (may have been easily replaced at anytime in the past). Make sure the boat exists. Then holler back please.

Honestly, I see nothing but bad vibes here (so far), mostly out of ignorance of the seller representing the boat (spoken in a kind way).

I wouldn't touch a Chrysler engine if it were free.

Now, we need one or two more to beat this dead A.S. horse again...Please??? :confused:

6ballsisall
06-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Sporty wheres the dead horse beating? Need help with that??? :D

Cloaked
06-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Sporty wheres the dead horse beating? Need help with that??? :D
How many frickin times does it take to say an AS isn't a MC ? :confused: :D

Then it turns out to be an MC, after this man thrall has been told by a seller that it's an AS. Who wOOda' thUnk?

I don't get it....

EricB
06-07-2006, 06:53 PM
The official Mastercraft boat model that is being discussed here is a "Skier". Stars & Stripes is just a nickname that has stuck (with maybe the exception of the 93 Anniversary boat). The guy who called it an American Skier just really was not completely informed.

JDK
06-07-2006, 07:04 PM
It's like calling all personal watercraft, "Waverunners."

Yeah....everybody knows that all PWC's are called SEA-DOO's :)

Willski
06-15-2006, 11:46 PM
I have an 84 MC Stars & Stripes. I know a guy who had an 84 or 85 American Skier and it was uncanny how similar the hull was and how the interior matched my boat. Not sure if there was a relationship between the two companies, but it was very similar.

Thrall
06-16-2006, 11:55 AM
I personally wouldn't touch a carbuerated Mopar engine in a boat that I wanted to drive all the time, but thought it may be something rare (maybe worth some $) if MC only made a few of them.
If it is though, he's ruined it w/ a tower (for collectors value).

Davo
06-16-2006, 12:28 PM
I've seen a lot of American Skiers in Florida over the years - mainly in the late 80's and 90's. They seem pretty solid...at least the one my buddy had was. Of course, it was an '89 with the Indmar.

The hull was pretty flat and squared off in the back...similair to the older 190's so I guess somewhat of a comparison is justified. The wake was pretty good for slalom and barefoot, but it had a little more lip than the MC's so it was better for wakeboarding in that regard.

Here's a pic of my buddy's boat...it was carbuerated and ran very good with 900 + hours (in fact - the pic in my gallery of me footin' doing the "thinking man" pose was off his boat)...however, he traded it for an SV-211. :rolleyes: :D BTW, it's for sale for the low, low price of $9,900. :eek: